Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

17 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

@Stlboiler23here is where I will call you out.  Now you are getting all dumb on other boards again. Do you understand advanced statistics?

I am assuming you don’t just from your comments.

Argument 1:

Xavier Johnson has a PER of 20.8

Eli Brooks had a 15.7 and Smith had a 13.4 at Michigan

Curbelo had an 18 at Illinois

Bohannon had a 16 at Iowa

Stefanovic had a 15 and Hunter had an 11 at  Purdue. 

CJ Walker had a 15 at OSU

This would make him one of the most efficiency PGs in the Big Ten and he played on a crappy team last year. 

Johnson was great and the TOs were fine because usage was high and he had a high assist % of 42.2% while his TO % was only 20%. For example Curbelo had an assist % of 34.4% and a TO% of 23.7%.  Johnson would have started on the majority of the B10 teams because he was better than them statistically.  

Argument 2:

Tony Bennett is going after Franklin for two reasons.  Good shooter at low volumes and good packline defender. He needs scorers because he lost his top two only double digit scorers. However at IU he was inefficient with a 14 PER at scoring. His assist % was lower than his turnover percentage. Johnson was better than him as I described above. Arguably as good as defender as well.  Stewart is better than him on offense as well with a 19 PER last year when he was hunting shots and firing all over.  He also had a higher PER as a frosh at Pitt as Aarman did last year against high major opponents. He won’t be doing that at IU.  He will be the sniper that TJD as needed to spread the floor which IU guards have sucked at.  We have watched years of open bricks being out up.  Stewart beats him on offense but the part he won’t be as good as Franklin will be defense.  Bates is a top 25 player on ESPN and will most likely be a top 30-40 on the other site.  Those type of kids play and take minutes as well.  Aarman was replaceable and could be improved on as shown above.

Argument 3:

IU really had only three irreplaceable players in my opinion.

1)One is the obvious TJD. He is option 1.  

2) Race Thompson as he is a good big.  We didn’t need to start playing Duncomb so early or Brunk who is slow and hurt. 

3) Stewart - we need the shooting.  Big time. 

The rest of the team is kids that need to be developed.  

1) Lander as you mock.  Wright failed with a five star PG. Cal has had many five star PG come in early and take time. He is a year early and not all players are created equally.  Some take more time and if you looked at the majority of early enrollees...they take a couple seasons. Look at Juzang for one example, played 12 mpg at Kentucky and look what he did at UCLA this year. Majority of these kids aren’t ready because they are a year behind on body maturing and lifting.  They take an extra year in most cases. 

2) Kopp - have you ever heard of a thing called usage? Do you think Kopp will be used the same way he was used at NW? Do you think we will be running specific plays for him like NW did? No. He will be a complimentary player who will be used to shoot when open.  He won’t be shooting 10 shots a game and forcing things.  He won’t be needed to do that. Watch a video of how he was used.  It won’t be the same. We saw the good in him through his second seasons and the majority of last season.  He was a 38% three point shooter until the last three games. In a more specific role he can help out a lot. 

Geronimo, Leal, Galloway, and Duncomb have time.  Historically these type of kids 100-150 take a year or two or even three to contribute.  They have time.  People just need to let them develop. 

Phinisee and Hunter. I think everyone would have a point in saying we know what we will get with these.  I think it would be best for them in a reduced to no role/transfer.  Phinisee has a 9 PER. Hunter doesn’t play much D and I question if he has it.  

One thing I will agree with people is you tend to talk out of both sides of your mouth.  That’s not a good way to go about life. 

The thing with transfers is you don’t know how they will work out.  One of Baylor’s top five scorers was a 3 ppg scorer before transferring and shot 28% from 3.  Different situation and different results.  Numerous examples of it working out for the better and numerous examples of a PTPer doing nothing or the same thing continuing.  

I don’t know what triggered it, but excellent post.  Well researched and presented.   

It will be interesting to see if Franklin can maintain himself as a 40% three point shooter from his small sample size.  Water finds its level.  Maybe he can still be above 35% though.  The idea that he’s a good defender looks overblown.  He had a lot of trouble off the bounce on D.  As an example, Ayo and others broke him down at will.   He’s not the first kid to play with with a sore ankle and you can’t just mail that in.  We are better off without kids looking lustily at other teams like they are shiny objects.  Let’s see who has a better five year period, IU or Virginia.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t know what triggered it, but excellent post.  Well researched and presented.   

It will be interesting to see if Franklin can maintain himself as a 40% three point shooter from his small sample size.  Water finds its level.  Maybe he can still be above 35% though.  The idea that he’s a good defender looks overblown.  He had a lot of trouble off the bounce on D.  As an example, Ayo and others broke him down at will.   He’s not the first kid to play with with a sore ankle and you can’t just mail that in.  We are better off without kids looking lustily at other teams like they are shiny objects.  Let’s see who has a better five year period, IU or Virginia.  

Why doesn't UVA just come visit during the ACC/B1G challenge? 

AF will be destroyed by the student section.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Per aseaofblue.com

Screenshot_20210423-075320_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

So of we add another tweener 3/4 that averaged 10 pts 6 rebounds on the worst Kentucky team in over 100 years, will we have month long debates about him being better than Jerome and Kopp and who should start and get the most minutes and why?

I'm ready to say this ship has sailed.  Keion has had his chances.  How good is his brother though?

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Haha 1

i must admit that i have never watched Brooks play.   guess it just seems exciting because it seems we don't have any one that is that type of athlete, right?  i know many on here are anti rankings guys, but adding a former 5 star talent can't be a bad thing if attitude isn't a problem.  i assume this is all moot, but still kinda fun to speculate.  i get that he is not the perfect fit for what we think we need, but still.  

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i must admit that i have never watched Brooks play.   guess it just seems exciting because it seems we don't have any one that is that type of athlete, right?  i know many on here are anti rankings guys, but adding a former 5 star talent can't be a bad thing if attitude isn't a problem.  i assume this is all moot, but still kinda fun to speculate.  i get that he is not the perfect fit for what we think we need, but still.  

I would say he's very comparible to Jerome from an athletic stand point, maybe a little more pop that Jerome but remember, towards the end of the year Jerome started dunking on people or at least trying.  That athleticism is slowly but surely coming back.  KB is 6'7" 205 JH 6'7" 215.  Hunter is twice the shooter.  KB is twice the rebounder.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

He shouldn't have been a 5 star and his rankling is irrelevant now. But... that doesn't mean I wouldn't want him. He and Kopp compliment each other much better than Kopp and Hunter. I don't want Hunter to leave or going to speculate, just saying.. I think Kopp and Hunter are much more alike than Brooks and Hunter or Kopp. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So of we add another tweeter 3/4 that averaged 10 pts 6 rebounds on the worst Kentucky team in over 100 years, will we have month long debates about him being better than Jerome and Kopp and who should start and get the most minutes and why?

I'm ready to say this ship has sailed.  Keion has had his chances.  How good is his brother though?

Im just passing along a statement from a article that was passed to me...as far as im concerned his shipped sailed when he committed to Kentucky ...he made his bed now he can lay in it. IU is going to be just fine ...besides a steak dont need Ketchup 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still in the no thanks camp for Brooks. That whole recruitment, subsequent comments.....hard to forget that stuff.

With that said if he does join IU and starts dropping 3's, dunks,etc.....I'll probably change my sentiments to we knew how good he was that's why he should have chosen us first. Haha.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Im just passing along a statement from a article that was passed to me...as far as im concerned his shipped sailed when he committed to Kentucky ...he made his bed now he can lay in it. IU is going to be just fine ...besides a steak dont need Ketchup 

What about Steak Burgers? :coffee:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Steak n shake or Freddy's 

For ice cream it's not even close.  Freddy's.  

Food.  Burgers a slight nod to freddy's.  Overall versitility of SS with 247.  

If I'm going to lunch and they are sitting next to each other I chose freddy's 100 out of 99 times.  Twice on Sunday.  

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

For ice cream it's not even close.  Freddy's.  

Food.  Burgers a slight nod to freddy's.  Overall versitility of SS with 247.  

If I'm going to lunch and they are sitting next to each other I chose freddy's 100 out of 99 times.  Twice on Sunday.  

Shake shack takes the cake 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.