Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

13 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think this WAS this was the #1 or #2 choice. 

Given how complicated hiring both Matta AND Woodson and to keep it quiet and announce it simultaneously, this has been in the works for awhile...

Personally, I find it really exciting - good coaches can coach. I don't care if he has not coached in college. 

Just imagine what he will do with TJD if he comes back one more year...

OR Maybe it was just a courtesy  interview and Woodson knocked it out of the park when interviewed with his vision /plan of how he was going to run to he basketball program. IU doesn’t need another AD so you know his role is to Assist Woodson on all things basketball. Need to see what assistants are on the bench, players populate the roster and what style they play. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Before we fired Archie, who I was ready to see go, I said there were scenarios that I thought it would've made more sense to keep Archie. 

This is one of those scenarios. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd have much preferred one more year of Archie to this. 

Totally agree. Could have saved the donor $7M to end up in the same place except Woodson would be 64

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

"Hello, my name is Mike Woodson. I'm the 5th leading scorer in IU history. I played in the NBA for 10 years. I was a head coach in the NBA for 7 years, and an assistant for 12. I know what it's like, and I can help you get there."

As Jerod Morris said in a podcast last week: he can relate to a wide array of players  too because he has been the star (at IU), been the role player (early NBA career), and has been the bench warmer (late in his NBA career). This, combined with his ‘father-like’ likability will hopefully go a long way in college. I think he’s great from a relationship standpoint, but will that crossover to recruiting? That’s the big question. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The fact that, so far, only 4 people have liked this post tells me that some of you are determined to hate this hire regardless of the facts.  

I can't speak for others, but I am fairly optimistic normally. I have my concerns about this hire because

1. He just turned 63...I was hoping for someone who could coach here longer.

2. He has no experience coaching/recruiting in college. Maybe he will do great and I hope he does, but I was hoping for someone with more experience in this dept.

3. We could have hired him at any time. I would have felt better if Dolson would have waited and attempted to hire some of those who are still coaching in the tourney.

I'll continue to root for IU and Woody to have success, but I think it is reasonable for IU fans to feel letdown and apprehensive with this hire.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If this was the #1 or #2 choice, then Dolson isn’t very smart.  “Good coaches can coach” just really isn’t true when it comes to NBA guys going to college.  I don’t expect him to light the world on fire next year even if TJD does come back, but he can surely do better than Archie.

And that’s basically where IU is at.  It’s not about getting the program back to blue blood status, it’s about getting the program back to not being a joke.

Who can you point to to back that up? I can't think if too many NBA guys that failed in college. Whom am I forgetting?

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This isn't true. We have no idea what anyone coaching this weekend, which made up most of the targets people seemed to want, thought of the job. 

It seems like we could have made this hire in two weeks. 

Hence why I said Indiana either isn’t interested in or able to bring in one of those guys.  I would’ve also preferred we go after Beard or one of the guys still coaching, but obviously they either already said no or Dolson just decided he wanted Woodson instead.

Either way, this route is still far better than bringing back Archie for another year.  The process would have played out the same way next year as it did this year, so there was no point in waiting or giving Archie another chance to save himself with a mediocre season.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not like he was hanging out with AAU and high school coaches in those markets. 

AAU coaches, who are usually from the regions, know who your local NBA staff is.  Not going to go back any forward on this.  But, this in one thing I do know.  In Chicago, tickets are provides for the development league affiliate.  There are connections, and some get to watch practices.  Okay, pulled over while driving to check the boards.  Going to get back on the road.  So pumped!

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I understand Lewis is not available now. Bringing Lewis or Fife in won't necessarily make me feel good about the hire, but I would at least have some positive vibes about it.

Bringing in one of those guys sets a clear picture of who the next head coach will be.  I think Woodson coaches for 5 seasons or so and whichever of Fife/Lewis is hired as an assistant will be the coach in waiting.  And, that will be understood by all future recruits 

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised no one has connected the dots yet.   Mike Woodson is 63.  I doubt anyone including Mike thinks he is the long term solution.  In effect he is a placeholder, and as an IU guy he will gladly step aside when the best candidate is available.  We also brought in Matta to help with the college transition for Mike, as well as to help recruit the best candidate (who he has ties to) when the time arrives.  Now, Stevens has been in Boston for 8 years, when the average NBA coaching tenure is what, 4 years?  The Boston natives are getting restless.  How much longer will he be there?  We are now positioned well if this happens in the next couple of years.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Absolutely.  As has been said by someone else: making Matta the AADBO (or whatever it is), leaves 3 assistant coach positions available for it. 

I wouldn’t mind keeping Kenya Hunter on board for continuity on existing recruitments.  There are some kids I liked.  

Jalen Washington needs to be on speed dial. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't remember the exact situation. The guy that replaced him had a higher winning percentage in both the regular season and the playoffs. 

Larry Drew replaced Woodson in Atlanta...He had 44, 40, and 44 wins in his 3 years...Woody had 53 in his last year in Atlanta...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Bringing in one of those guys sets a clear picture of who the next head coach will be.  I think Woodson coaches for 5 seasons or so and whichever of Fife/Lewis is hired as an assistant will be the coach in waiting.  And, that will be understood by all future recruits 

If he can succeed and does well here for 5-6 years and brings one of these guys in with a clear successor that would be best case scenario. 

• Like 1