Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I'd be curious to know if the Matta piece was part of Woodson's pitch, or if that was a Dolson thing?

I'd assume it was Dolson, but I think knowing it was Woodson's plan would make me feel a tad better. Like Woodson knowing he has to put a grand slam staff together. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IU247 said:

Regarding player development, I don’t remember if I circulated this article when his name first came up.  Lot of info in here.

I found this part about practice as very interesting.

“When you watch Woodson run practice, it’s not only much more together and focused than it was when D’Antoni was coaching; somehow everyone also seems to be having more fun. D’Antoni couldn’t help but keep himself somewhat at a remove from the action; he had his schemes, he let his players know how to run them, and he generally left them alone to figure it out. If they didn’t buy in, that was their problem, not his. His viewpoint was decidedly less rah-rah than Woodson’s. Woodson jumps—well, “jump” is probably the wrong word; he sort of saunters—into scrimmages and performs hands-on instruction to the most minute details. It must be strange to be Jason Kidd, a future Hall of Famer who is entering his nineteenth season, to have a man garrulously explain an entry pass to him, but Kidd plays along, because he, like the rest of the Knicks, clearly likes Woodson. For whatever it’s worth, that wasn’t always the case with D’Antoni.”

https://nymag.com/news/sports/mike-woodson-2012-11/

• Like 5

I will support him because he’s our coach but he has got to get us turned around sooner rather than later. We cannot be in another 4 year rebuild. If he gets everyone back including TJD he should be in the tournament next year. He needs to be in the tournament by year 2. 

• Like 3

I am not going to read everything in this thread because it will be to predictable from the negative people.  Woodson was not my top choice but after Stevens, Matta or Beilein I was not excited about nay other candidates out there.  I really never bought into Musselman or Oats because they are a flash in the pan to me.  IU has tried the flavor of the month club the last  3 hires from outside the IU family and it failed so I felt it was time to try going worth an IU guy.  So far the two coaches in the elite 8 is Tinkle and Few and neither of them was considered a huge hire when they took their jobs.

I have been a IU fan for 50 years and will be one until god takes me home.  I root for the name on the front of the jersey and that is how I will always be.  everyone has their right to their opinion and will respect those but to the ones that say you are done being a fan then I say see ya.  also anyone wanting to get rid of their season tickets you can give them to me because I will gladly take them,

Some of you are probably miserable today with this news but I had a great day celebrating my grand daughters first birthday.  I am sorry for some fans who take sports so seriously that they are upset and miserable on everything that goes on with IU basketball.  Need to realize that sports are for entertainment and should not be life or death.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I honestly doubt that Woodson was anyone’s first choice, more than likely not IUs.  I was not for Woodson at all, but I’m researching him and finding him to be a players coach which I think IU needs.  We need to give the man a shot and understand there will be some growing pains.  The man can flat out coach, see the list of NBA Players that love him.  Woodson wants IU back more than anyone and he doesn’t have a big enough ego not to listen to some people that want to help.  I think this is going to be a really good hire, let’s see who his staff rounds out to be and let’s get behind him.

OK

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really curious to see how Dolson spins this. Either Woodson was the guy from the jump, or everyone else said no. 

Obviously he's not going to say nobody else wanted the job, but how hard he drives down the "this was always my guy" lane will be telling. 

I can tell you it will be “mike and Thad were very high on our list and to be able to get both- we’re over the moon about this”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd be curious to know if the Matta piece was part of Woodson's pitch, or if that was a Dolson thing?

I'd assume it was Dolson, but I think knowing it was Woodson's plan would make me feel a tad better. Like Woodson knowing he has to put a grand slam staff together. 

I wonder if it was a joint plan?  Woody reportedly wanted Larry Brown last time.  And Dolson knew about Matta apparently.  Interesting that we heard Woody interviewed last Saturday and then Matta was mentioned Sunday.  Bonus points to anyone who put them together into a package deal!

PS Your analogy about going from a hope for a five star recruit to getting a low 3 star recruit and then talking yourself into it was so appropriate!   I guess we wanted Stevens and got our 3 star.  Let’s hope he turns into a Micah McFadden (for my football friends!).  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I honestly doubt that Woodson was anyone’s first choice, more than likely not IUs.  I was not for Woodson at all, but I’m researching him and finding him to be a players coach which I think IU needs.  We need to give the man a shot and understand there will be some growing pains.  The man can flat out coach, see the list of NBA Players that love him.  Woodson wants IU back more than anyone and he doesn’t have a big enough ego not to listen to some people that want to help.  I think this is going to be a really good hire, let’s see who his staff rounds out to be and let’s get behind him.

I was the same way with you and after seeing these interviews from some of the top players he coached made me feel better about him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I really think some people on here have bitched and complained for so long on here that they don’t know how to post any other way 

amen to that.  Like I said I did not like the Archie hire but I gave him half way through his 4th year before I judge his performance.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really curious to see how Dolson spins this. Either Woodson was the guy from the jump, or everyone else said no. 

Obviously he's not going to say nobody else wanted the job, but how hard he drives down the "this was always my guy" lane will be telling. 

I don’t think it matters if Woodson was the last guy on the list. He is the one who said yes! That all that matters. 
The group of fans that keep crying get and IUGuy well. We did. Thank God it wasn’t Steve Alford! 
ihave to say at first I was like what! But I am warming up to this hire. A lot of up side.