Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

51 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So it looks like they did cheap out.  Midmajor coaches and IU guys were the only options if this was all they were willing to pay... None of the Power 6 guys we were talking about would’ve come to IU for $3.5M per year.

One of my first reactions was we had some of the money ready for Matta too.  I assume he’s in seven figures.  Maybe I am wrong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich likes the hire. But I turned him on and he was mocking the role of Matta.  He made fun of the notion that he grew up a fan of IU because Dan actually busted his butt for IU.  Then Dan ridiculed Matta’s role as making sure the travel was ok.  

Dan is smarter than that.  Matta is a pro. He knows the recruiting landscape and how to succeed at it in Indiana (Oden, Conley, Thomas), Ohio etc.  He has contacts for staff.   He knows the conference.  Also, he might not be on the bench, but presumably he’s another set of eyes.  He will be able to tell Woody what he saw as a top coach the next day or whatever.  I think Matta is a huge asset. Hopefully he keeps his ego in check and the relationship with Woody goes really well.

That's likely Dan just having a little job envy.  Would be totally within his character.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One of my first reactions was we had some of the money ready for Matta too.  I assume he’s in seven figures.  Maybe I am wrong.  

400k for Matta

No buyout had to be paid to get Woodson

Woodson is probably 3mm or so less a year than BS.

In two years IU won’t have to pay Woodsons health care.

Sounds like a good value play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I don’t know what might have happened in the past but Jay Williams likes taking shots at IU. Even when Crean had good teams Williams had a way of making some jabs.

I hope I’m correct in my assumption that WWW doesn’t get within 20 area codes of Bloomington. Would be a really bad look.

I know what happened in the past, IU ended his college career in 2002.  As others have said his wife and in laws are IU grads so i think its more of a joke at this point.

• Like 1

Man, this board and the fan base in general is tough.  Nothing satisfies many of you.  So you wanted Stevens.  Too bad!  Maybe anyone else would have been not good enough.  I actually think Woodson had a reasonably good coaching record in the NBA.  He brought the Knicks from the basement to the playoffs and did pretty well with the Hawks also.  He is an IU blue blood, which should count for something.  He will assemble a solid staff both for on bench and recruiting.  He is not a dreaded mid-major coach who may or may not be able to step up.  He has Matta supporting him.  It just cannot get worse than this prior year.  If he can teach his guys to a) play with confidence, b) play hard nosed defense, c) rebound, and d) shoot a high percentage of free throws (look what happened to Alabama, with another favored coach, last night), he will do fine.  Add in some recruiting skills between him and the assistants to get a top flight point guard and some dead eye shooters who won't forget how to shoot when they come to IU, and all will work itself out.

• Like 2

I am all ears right now but someone in favor of this hire help me grasp something...

If this was Dolson’s guy...or even let’s say he was Dolson’s 3rd or 4th but he was high enough that it wasn’t even worth looking at proven coaches still in the tourney he could’ve interviewed and offers big money to which wouldn’t be a gamble at all...if Dolson believes “This IS our man who’s gonna do it...”

Why is he worth a measly 6 years 22million?

To me with him not being on anyone’s radar besides many people saying “NO WAY” it’s hard not to take this as “We just went with our boy for a bargain price...that’ll do the job if not oh well.”

I’d actually have felt a bit better if they had over paid him even just to show “this is how confident we are that we have OUR man.” Because that’s what’s being sold...no most programs wouldn’t hire him but he’s perfect for IU...”

Well if he’s so good for us why is he worth peanuts?

5 minutes ago, HoobieDoobie said:

Seems like most of the fanbase is coming around to this hire.

Fans tend to. I hated the Crean hire but had to get on board and buy my “Crimson and Crean” shirt and just believe that he’d buck what was so obvious...that IU would become Marquette South.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Regarding the belief that Juwan Howard is an outlier (mainly pushed by Goodman), I was trying to think of coaches who left the NBA for college. Most, it seems had an unsuccessful stint in the NBA (mostly as assistants) and tried their luck in college. 

Juwan Howard - only an assistant in the NBA 
Penny Hardaway - coached 2 years in high school
Patrick Ewing - only an assistant in the NBA 
Chris Mullin - no coaching experience
Pitino? Cal? - tried and failed as NBA head coaches (but were college coaches first). 

Other than Avery Johnson, I can't think of an apt comparison to Woody in terms of NBA head coaching experience and success. If we're trying to predict success based on other's history, I'm not sure we're going to find anything of substance. I wonder if Goodman thought about that? 

Sidney Lowe went from the NBA to his alma mater, NC State, without the success at the NBA level (79-228 overall) that Woodson had...He had 2 cracks at HC gigs in the NBA (Minnesota and Vancouver/Memphis) before he hired on with the Wolfpack...86-78 0verall with no NCAA tournaments in 4 seasons at the NC State helm... 

• Thanks 2

This is a home run whether you like it or not. If you don’t now, you will soon enough and I’m excited for you to see it. I can only think of a few coaches in college basketball who command the type of respect as a coach in terms of ability/developer/mentor, experience and accomplishments at high levels(Roy, K, self, Calipari). I probably missed some but you get it. I think it’s special and having Matta only adds to this. I couldn’t be happier to support a guy like this who wants IU to succeed as much as anyone out there. “Indiana is the best place to play basketball”. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand the whole "I have to see results" crowd. The most obvious aspect of this whole thing is that he has to win... and sooner, rather than later. None of that is ground breaking stuff. But some of you are already halfway out the door. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

We've all endured the last 20 years together. It costs no more to have a positive outlook. 

I don't see what being negative helps in any way where getting behind the coach and the program  can only help

Edited by IU Scott

44 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yeah, in your opinion.  Not a professional opinion.  Not an informed opinion backed up by data, examples or facts.  An opinion you continually use to degrade and put other posters on blast because they don't immediately jump on the IU Scott train of thinking.  It took you less than 12 hours from the moment the coach was announced to you telling posters they were bad fans and should back to Peegs.  

You can have your opinion and sometimes i even agree with what you say.  But telling someone how to be a fan or support the program is not one of them 

Somebody has to do it because some of this fan base is embarrassing the rest of it.  Like it or not the perception of this fan base among people outside  of Indiana is not very good.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

To me with him not being on anyone’s radar besides many people saying “NO WAY” it’s hard not to take this as “We just went with our boy for a bargain price...that’ll do the job if not oh well.”

I’d actually have felt a bit better if they had over paid him even just to show “this is how confident we are that we have OUR man.” Because that’s what’s being sold...no most programs wouldn’t hire him but he’s perfect for IU...”

Peanuts?
According to this link his contract would have made him the 18th highest coach in the country this year and the 4th highest in the Big Ten. At 3.667 a year he is close to Bill Self, Bennett and Huggins money without having coached a single college game. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It would be nice if we all as fans could accept some will like the hire, some won't, and just all settle on letting this guy actually come in and maybe do his job for a few days before passing final judgement either way. 

• Maybe let him:
    • Stop the players he can from transferring
    • Finish his coaching staff
    • Get players to transfer in
    • Get some recruits
    • Maybe coach a few games or two

And thats just the small list.  I am a big picture kind of guys so to me let's give coach some space either way, like it or not, to do his job.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see what beong negative helps in any way where getting behind the coach and the program  can only help

I've had to repeat this countless times in this thread, but just because someone doesn't like this hire means they are negative, it's just as simple as they would have preferred someone else. Also from what I can see everyone is still behind IU and support them and wants Coach Woodson to win.

There are a few that might not be, but it pretty much seems clear to me that everyone wants him to succeed.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I am all ears right now but someone in favor of this hire help me grasp something...

If this was Dolson’s guy...or even let’s say he was Dolson’s 3rd or 4th but he was high enough that it wasn’t even worth looking at proven coaches still in the tourney he could’ve interviewed and offers big money to which wouldn’t be a gamble at all...if Dolson believes “This IS our man who’s gonna do it...”

I think the only guy that was going to get big money out of IU was Brad Stevens...

Beard, Musselman et al were not going to get 7-8 million per year from us, and rightfully so...

And I think the whole point of this was to circle back to Bob Knight...I know there were hurt feelings and ruffled feathers on both sides for years, but lets face facts...Without Bob Knight IU is a nowhere job...We could have screamed about our 2 banners under McCracken til we were blue in the face, but Oklahoma State has 2 as well (when the were Oklahoma A&M with the great Bob Kurland and coached by one of RMK's mentors, Henry Iba)...That's what we would have been without Bob Knight...A program that had success in the early days, but just one of the crowd now...

Mike Woodson is that bridge back that was burned long ago to our glorious past...Dolson did swing for the fences with Stevens, but once he found out that wasn't going anywhere, he wanted to start restoring the IU family by linking us back to the man that is the most important person in IU's basketball history...

And I'm glad he did that...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Somebody has to do it because some of this fan base is embarrassing the rest of it.  Like it or not the perception of this fan base among people outside  of Indiana is not very good.

No its not.  I live outside of Indiana where there are Badger, Hawkeye, Gopher, and Nebraska fans.  None of them think we're a bad fanbase.  They used to envy us.  They wished to have what we have. Now they feel sorry for us.  Feel like we haven't had good luck with coaches or players.  But they aren't saying we're a bad fanbase.  

You should get a cape and some tights and become Super IU Scott.  You can banish bad fans in a single post.  "Off to the Peegs with you heathen".   Stand at the top of your High Horse and look down upon us lowly, terrible fans who just don't see the error of our stupid ways.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

No its not.  I live outside of Indiana where there are Badger, Hawkeye, Gopher, and Nebraska fans.  None of them think we're a bad fanbase.  They used to envy us.  They wished to have what we have. Now they feel sorry for us.  Feel like we haven't had good luck with coaches or players.  But they aren't saying we're a bad fanbase.  

You should get a cape and some tights and become Super IU Scott.  You can banish bad fans in a single post.  "Off to the Peegs with you heathen".   Stand at the top of your High Horse and look down upon us lowly, terrible fans who just don't see the error of stupid ways.

sounds good to me

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You should get a cape and some tights and become Super IU Scott.  You can banish bad fans in a single post.  "Off to the Peegs with you heathen".   Stand at the top of your High Horse and look down upon us lowly, terrible fans who just don't see the error of stupid ways.

I always thought HSN needed a mascot.

tenor (16).gif

• Haha 4