Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

On 1/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, southsidehoosier said:

That video is awesome...

You know, knowing the Xs and Os is important...

Having good players is important...

But I think the MOST important part of coaching is leadership...and Mike Woodson is a great leader for the university and the basketball program...

Although we may have stumbled into it, we're very fortunate to have him...

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2022 at 7:11 PM, 5fouls said:

If I had a twitter account, it would take me one tweet for Goodman to put me on ignore.  He is such a tool.   

Perhaps it’s already been mentioned, but the irony about Goodman/IU that, imo, is hilarious… his daughter recently chose IU as her school of choice! So now his very own daughter is bombarding his timeline with IU news/info. Good stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:19 PM, Drroogh said:

Not sure I agree with Juwan being better than player than Woodson? But what do I know? I did love Penny as a player though.

Juwan and Woodson I can see being on kind of the same level, with maybe a slight edge to Juwan. He did wind up with 2 rings and was an All-star. They were both the journeyman type player, but were solid contributors wherever they went and both had fairly long careers. 

Penny was better than both at his peak, but was so injury prone after his first 3-4 seasons that it kind of becomes hard to gauge. 

For those who care here is the video where the coach pretty much admits that if IU didn’t get in at the crack of dawn this would have been a close game or perhaps an IU win  

for an opposing coach to say this after curb stomping their opponent during march Madness is unheard of  

It’s the first few min and then skip to 11:00

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IU247 said:

For those who care here is the video where the coach pretty much admits that if IU didn’t get in at the crack of dawn this would have been a close game or perhaps an IU win  

for an opposing coach to say this after curb stomping their opponent during march Madness is unheard of  

It’s the first few min and then skip to 11:00

Bennett was a class act in his comments

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Bennett was a class act in his comments

Yah. I mean here is the thing. 

we all knew that IU got screwed because of the travel stuff. 
but if anyone on IU said what Bennett said to explain their poor play it would be looked at as “sore looser” talk   

the fact that the winning coach literally said what we all think is what makes it more amazing  

the winning coach pretty much says the game may have ended differently if IU didn’t get screwed   

that’s unheard of  in any sport  

• Like 1

First year: make shift roster, piecing this together, found pieces (not the best, but available at the time) who filled out the roster….

I’m not an overly optimistic person but have a feeling that CMW isn’t here just to make friends. I think he wants to bully. Give one more year at most. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Nice look at Mike Woodson through the eyes of Yasir Rosemond... 

We might have a lot of assistant coaching turnover in his time here. Not from them being fired or leaving because it's toxic, but because it sounds like he's grooming them to become head coaches themselves. 

Granted Fife got fired but I think Hunter and/or Rosemond will become a head coach in the next few years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Nice look at Mike Woodson through the eyes of Yasir Rosemond... 

I really like Rosemond and I like that he stayed here instead of jumping to Louisville.   I admittedly don’t see the inner workings of everything going on behind the scenes but I do like how he comes across, what he emphasizes and how he looks at things, etc.  He fits the profile of an assistant we should want here.  IMO.   And he was loyal to stay here.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really like Rosemond and I like that he stayed here instead of jumping to Louisville.   I admittedly don’t see the inner workings of everything going on behind the scenes but I do like how he comes across, what he emphasizes and how he looks at things, etc.  He fits the profile of an assistant we should want here.  IMO.   And he was loyal to stay here.  

I like him so far too.  As far as staying, the raise and promotion probably didn't hurt. 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

We might have a lot of assistant coaching turnover in his time here. Not from them being fired or leaving because it's toxic, but because it sounds like he's grooming them to become head coaches themselves. 

Granted Fife got fired but I think Hunter and/or Rosemond will become a head coach in the next few years. 

And that's the way it should be...

Some people get comfortable in a position and don't want to move up...But the ones that do, you help them...

You certainly don't want to treat an assistant the way Paul Brown treated Bill Walsh...

• 2 weeks later...