Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't agree when people say anyone not named Stevens would be disappointing.  i would not have been disappointed with Beard, Musselman, Altman, Drew (kind of), Oats, Matta, or Beilein.  i also don't get why we would hire a guy just to make former players happy if he is not the best candidate and not an experienced college coach.  again, that said, i'll hope for the best!

He is a way better candidate than you realize with all things considered. Sorry... but to me.. your list is just the flavor of the day stuff + people that weren't an option (Altman, Drew, Oats). Matta is literally on our payroll now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm really curious to see what type of system he'll want to run here.  What will be his pace, offensive schemes, defensive schemes, how much will he emphasize a style of play that is interesting to recruits.  If he has an exciting style of play, recruiting should almost take care of itself.  If he has a boring style of play, recruiting could be really tough.

With Dolson claiming to want to have an attractive offensive scheme to entice recruits to come, I would hope he would have more of an up tempo style offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I hate this hire.  I didn't really know who Woodson was, which apparently makes me a bad fan.  I wanted IU to open the vault and go Whale hunting.  And regardless of any IU person/fan thinks, Woodson was not a Whale in any coaching community.  Respected, sounds like it, but not a name in the top 10 of any school anywhere at any time.

Will it work out, its why we play the games i guess.  I am a little less enthused about IU basketball that I was with CAM at the helm so about as apathetic as before.  I was surprised and a little upset by the hire but no more than when i pull up to get fuel and realize that it's now 3.25 instead of 2.99.  I am just used to to it getting worst instead of better.  And I am already seeing 5 years this or 6 years that in threads.  This makes me a little more sad because I really don't want to spend the next 4 years debating how long a coach needs before he can implement "his" brand of basketball.

I hope Woodson is the grand slam hire some of you keep saying.  I hope he proves everyone wrong and knocks it out of the park.  But if he was such a whale, why was he an assistant?  Why was he never attached to any other programs coaching search?   

Winning cures all and makes Whales out of them all.  If he wins that's al the matters.  He just needs to win.

Whale hunting makes me think of Moby Dick....we just landed Coach "Woody".  There might be something there.  I think it is important to practice thinking of the many possible positives moving forward. Picture Coach Woodson on the side lines during the Final Four, and the story lines that come with it.  CAM showed us what we were going to be under him, and it was getting harder to do the mental gymnastics to maintain a positive outlook.  Coach Woodson will work, if for no other reason because Jeff Goodman said it won't....screw that guy.  Woodson is going to make his players love him, love IU, and he won't be ok with people laughing at us. Of all the potential hires who were not born in Indiana and who did not play for Knight, I bet he loves IU more than all of them combine.....I believe this really matters.  

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve watched/read a lot in the last 18 hours and this video got me most excited. I didn’t realize Thad Matta was looked at by so many other programs when they were hiring a new coach. The fact that he is coming to IU as an assistant is pretty huge. Think about the wide range of expertise and knowledge between Matta and Woody.....and not to mention AAU/State connections mixed in with legit NBA connections. 

I’m really excited to see how the next few weeks play out. 

This video is exactly how I have felt for the last week.  Woodson rolling through Indy gyms after breathing some life back into the program with an entourage of NBA buddies is way cooler to high school kids than Matt Fat Painter or Whine Your Face Off Izzo.  

I would like to ask a question and not get blasted for it for the next 3 pages please.

Why does it matter that ex-players love the hire? I get alumni /donors, that is where your money is coming from, although that can bite you in the ass with a bad hire.  Its not like we're flooding the NBA with players that every kid knows and by extension what school they went to.

Just a question, not sure I get how the "IU Guy" thing is going to help recruit anywhere outside of Indiana and maybe not even in the state of Indiana.

Again, not trying to get blasted for being negative or a bad fan or getting myself banned because i am not "on board" with the hire.  Just a question

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

I’ve never said a word advocating for Fife in the past.  However, he would be a great hire right now.  MSU has a weird system where they have two associate head coaches.  But he’s considerably behind Stephens in seniority so Stephens might be the heir apparent. Let’s put it this way.  If they jumped Fife over Stephens as head coach, imagine what the coaches, parents and recruits would say in their biggest recruiting areas in Detroit and Flint.   

Plus after eight years, Fife has absorbed all he can handle from Izzo (not to mention they are getting increasingly dysfunctional up there).   The time might be perfect for Fife to learn from another coach and this time with an NBA background to expand his horizons.  Typically, a really good trajectory for a coach is to learn from multiple head coaches.

Why do I want Fife?  Good recruiter and an IU guy but what really interests me is having an assistant who really knows the league.  Yes, we have Matta but having another guy on the bench who knows every trick from all the other programs would be a huge benefit.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Not the coach most of us wanted on our “wishlists.” But maybe many of those guys turned us down. Some of them publicly. Maybe this is where we are. But maybe Coach Woodson will turn out to be the coach we needed. Here’s to hope! GO IU

I just keep thinking that CMW may not be what many fans wanted but he might be exactly what this program NEEDED.

• Like 2

Ok, just got caught up here. Thanks @HoosierFaithful for getting the site back up so quickly.

I think this is a good fit for many reasons. I'm excited. 

Look at what Juwan Howard is doing with MI with only 5 years of NBA Asst coaching experience. Woodson blows that away. Dolson said he wanted cutting edge offense that would attract talent.  I think we might see that. I'd like to know what Matta will be doing, who the assistants will be, etc but we should know soon enough. I'll watch the press conference and we will see what happens with the current players and future recruits. Have to think the current players should be happy. 

Welcome back Mike!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Whale hunting makes me think of Moby Dick....we just landed Coach "Woody".  There might be something there.  I think it is important to practice thinking of the many possible positives moving forward. Picture Coach Woodson on the side lines during the Final Four, and the story lines that come with it.  CAM showed us what we were going to be under him, and it was getting harder to do the mental gymnastics to maintain a positive outlook.  Coach Woodson will work, if for no other reason because Jeff Goodman said it won't....screw that guy.  Woodson is going to make his players love him, love IU, and he won't be ok with people laughing at us. Of all the potential hires who were not born in Indiana and who did not play for Knight, I bet he loves IU more than all of them combine.....I believe this really matters.  

Wining cures all, but i don't see us in the final four anytime soon myself.  And i just don't get how playing for Knight has anything all to do with anything anymore.  

But nothing to do now but debate it and recruiting for the next 9 months.  Should be interesting

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I threw some numbers together from Woodson's time in the NBA.  No idea if anything can be gathered from it since the NBA is so different and his last year was a while ago, but I'm on spring break and had some time to kill.

image.thumb.png.2c983e638422230ac5af83e582e97a34.png

I can't take this seriously since it's Google Sheets. Good job, otherwise.😉

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not everyone that is dissatisfied with this hire bashes IU with every post. You used a pretty broad stroke in your post. Using the insult losers quite often. 

You say not everyone but there are plenty and it's pretty easy to figure out who they are when you see the same names over and over just ripping into IU. If you're criticizing a new coach when the ink isn't dry on their contract and they haven't held their introduction yet, let alone not having coached game one, then I think loser is the most accurate label. If that touches a nerve, so be it. It may be time for self-reflection.

We talk about IU needing to change. Maybe the fanbase needs to change. Maybe we don't need those who never have anything good to say about IU basketball and those who appear to be rooting against the program. If it looks like he can't get it done as we go through the season, there's time to criticize. But right now is not that time. Mike Woodson will rise or fall based on his performance but for today he's earned the right to have full fan support.

• Like 4

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Wining cures all, but i don't see us in the final four anytime soon myself.  And i just don't get how playing for Knight has anything all to do with anything anymore.  

But nothing to do now but debate it and recruiting for the next 9 months.  Should be interesting

We will be in the tournament next year, and we will start making some noise in year two, and will be a top 2 seed in year three.  How do I know?  I don't, but I feel excited. Knight said that negative thinking leads to success, but I think that this has changed somewhat in our society. Positive thinking is the opiate of the masses. I want me some opium.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That would be amazing, but I doubt he flips...I thought he had a good bond with Painter...

Agree, not likely.  However, we’ve heard from insiders that Trey was annoyed by IU’s pitch of making him like Trayce.  But, Painter has some damning evidence against him.  In 17 years, he’s developed, exactly who for the NBA?  The only guy who’s had more than a cup of coffee is, who,  E’Twan Moore?  Please.   Moore is best known as a guy who’s name comes up in trade talks to make the money work for the real pieces.

If Kaufman was annoyed by Archie, well now we have a coach who knows exactly what a pro with his skill set looks like.  That’s something Painter can’t match.  They also have a crowded front court.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Before we fired Archie, who I was ready to see go, I said there were scenarios that I thought it would've made more sense to keep Archie. 

This is one of those scenarios. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd have much preferred one more year of Archie to this. 

Archie lost his team.  There is no way bringing back Archie would have done anything positive.  After seeing Woodson's past players comments, how he improved each team he was a head coach for, the development of players, I think Woodson has a chance to be a good hire.  Archie was a sinking ship.  The assistants could make or break this hire.  Like most people on hear, I am pulling for Michael Lewis.  

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The more I sit back and think, I am liking this hire more and more.

Woody knows the game. His NBA record was mediocre, but look at the teams he coached.

He coached several years at the highest level in the world, and won a handful of playoff series.

His NBA track record blows away Mussellman, Calipari, Pitino etc.

You do not stay in the NBA for decades unless you can coach.

And who would be more up on NBA style offenses more than him?

He will not be beat in x's and o's at the college level.

Recruiting should be easier for the top recruits because nobody in college has a better understanding of what it takes to reach the next level.

He has NBA knowledge and contacts.

Add to it, he LOVES IU and he will certainly find the balance of being able to recruit NBA level talent while not sacrifice the program. He should have the perfect balance.

I read, and agree, there is more high level coaching in one NBA playoff series than there is in a full college basketball season. I have no worries if he can coach at this level.

The worry about him never have recruited before is an overblown fear imo. He can talk to a recruit and list all the superstars he has coached....kids will listen to that.

I do wish he was a bit younger. But we have a guy that has coached with the best in the world for many years and flat out loves IU.

Let's do this Coach Woodson!

Preach on Ol' Blue.  The more we see this and say this, the more excitement builds around the program.  

21 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

You say not everyone but there are plenty and it's pretty easy to figure out who they are when you see the same names over and over just ripping into IU. If you're criticizing a new coach when the ink isn't dry on their contract and they haven't held their introduction yet, let alone not having coached game one, then I think loser is the most accurate label. If that touches a nerve, so be it. It may be time for self-reflection.

We talk about IU needing to change. Maybe the fanbase needs to change. Maybe we don't need those who never have anything good to say about IU basketball and those who appear to be rooting against the program. If it looks like he can't get it done as we go through the season, there's time to criticize. But right now is not that time. Mike Woodson will rise or fall based on his performance but for today he's earned the right to have full fan support.

With all the anger you have, i think you might be the one that needs self-reflection. Constantly calling people losers just screams someone with issues.

Also it just seems hard for you to understand that not every one disliking this hire is rooting against IU, they just don't like this hire. I will be cheering for IU every game and hoping for Coach Woodson to get us back on top. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

That's why I'm so disappointed, it seems to me that IU never even tried for the big fish. It feels like it went from Stevens right to Woodson. 

Scott Dolson was at the bar, went right for the hottest girl there, got rejected then went straight for the drunk fat chick.

Edited by GrangerHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1