Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

They literally left Jay Wright off this list?  Is it because he's way better than anyone in the whole country and it's not even close? 

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe because he is no longer a college coach

53 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Opps.  Ding ding ding

But you're right in the sense that Jay was the sharpest dresser when he was the in there...

Always dressed to the 9s as they say... 

14 hours ago, BDB said:

Awesome article with a capital A  Lots of good comments from former players and coaches at IU 

https://theathletic.com/3397918/2022/07/13/indiana-hoosiers-mike-woodson/?amp=1

Not the intention of the the article, but a lot of that solidifies my thoughts about Mike Davis being an A-Plus human being.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not the intention of the the article, but a lot of that solidifies my thoughts about Mike Davis being an A-Plus human being.

So true. Davis was gifted a dream opportunity he wasn't remotely prepared for at the time.  But you have to take that job. It seemed he had a major chip on his shoulder at the time, because he knew he didn't earn the job.  He admits he did and said things he regrets now. 

Love his appreciation of the job, the school, the fans, and our history.  I hope over time Crean learns to feel the same way. Both guided the program at very difficult times, and seemed to genuinely care.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

So true. Davis was gifted a dream opportunity he wasn't remotely prepared for at the time.  But you have to take that job. It seemed he had a major chip on his shoulder at the time, because he knew he didn't earn the job.  He admits he did and said things he regrets now. 

Love his appreciation of the job, the school, the fans, and our history.  I hope over time Crean learns to feel the same way. Both guided the program at very difficult times, and seemed to genuinely care.

Crean has been a pretty big supporter of IU since he's left. He fairly regularly posts pics with his former IU players and will shout out how great IU fans are, etc. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Like @BGleassaid, Crean has said good things about IU even after being fired. I don't get the impression he harbors any ill will. For as spastic as he can be, he's still a professional and seems to recognize that his firing wasn't personal.

Davis has matured quite a bit since his time at IU. He recognizes many of his mistakes and will admit to them. That said, I don't know if he claims responsibility for some of the reasons people didn't think he'd be at IU for the long term. However, he did play a part in that publicly talking about making the jump to coaching in the NBA. It was comments like that which made it seem like he always had one foot out the door and was looking for the next opportunity. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe he shouldn't have stated it publicly. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Crean has been a pretty big supporter of IU since he's left. He fairly regularly posts pics with his former IU players and will shout out how great IU fans are, etc. 

Publicly he has been great. I was referencing some comments he made to coaches down here soon after taking the Georgia job. Think that's pretty normal to feel that way soon after a break-up. He was/is a good ambassador, and hope he appreciates his role in our history as the guy that brought us back from the ashes.  

18 hours ago, BDB said:

Awesome article with a capital A  Lots of good comments from former players and coaches at IU 

https://theathletic.com/3397918/2022/07/13/indiana-hoosiers-mike-woodson/?amp=1

This article shows so many things so well done. These stories about Coack Knight are why all us old guys put him on a pedestal that some of these young guys just don't get. JJ summed it up so well. I don't know if there is another person in the world that you would want in your corner than RMK. 

I seem to agree with so much of what these guys were saying. They get as does Woody , what it means to be a men's basketball player and coach at Indiana. I am willing to bet that Woodys player whether from Indiana or not will know what it means to be a Hoosier. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have said it before on here. My good friend and long time minister Tom Rust  ,was IU mens basketball  chaplain, told me the Mike is as fine of a person he ever met. Mike led several players to Christ not because he preached to him but they saw something in Mike that was special and they wanted it too. 

Thanks for sharing that. Very cool. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...