Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Look recruiting is going to change drastically.  The NBA is going to change the "one-and-done" rule and probably eventually eliminate it.  This will change what coaches like Cal and Coach K do.  They will now have to develop players (I'm not saying they can't do that but that it's a change.)  The NBA has the 2-way contract and that will be a viable alternative to college for many top recruits.  Recruiting will then be about finding and developing the "borderline" prospects and mixing them with 3 or 4 year players.  Remember we have the state of the art tech on recording and reviewing basketball games courtesy of Mark Cuban, who is certainly a well known name as a leading NBA owner.  How many teams will have a former NBA coach as HC?  Very, very few.   And our history.  Isn't the "hurryin' Hoosiers" the ideal name for this new age of college basketball?  What about marketing these players?  We have some things going for us there, also.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The fact that, so far, only 4 people have liked this post tells me that some of you are determined to hate this hire regardless of the facts.  

I'm actually pretty excited. Again...it's not Stevens or Beard or whomever....but college hoops has changed plenty. Howard was brought back but they succeeded because of Martelli too. This combo approach has shown it can work and I'm at the very least going to give it a go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Look recruiting is going to change drastically.  The NBA is going to change the "one-and-done" rule and probably eventually eliminate it.  This will change what coaches like Cal and Coach K do.  They will now have to develop players (I'm not saying they can't do that but that it's a change.)  The NBA has the 2-way contract and that will be a viable alternative to college for many top recruits.  Recruiting will then be about finding and developing the "borderline" prospects and mixing them with 3 or 4 year players.  Remember we have the state of the art tech on recording and reviewing basketball games courtesy of Mark Cuban, who is certainly a well known name as a leading NBA owner.  How many teams will have a former NBA coach as HC?  Very, very few.   And our history.  Isn't the "hurryin' Hoosiers" the ideal name for this new age of college basketball?  What about marketing these players?  We have some things going for us there, also.

4 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Who can you point to to back that up? I can't think if too many NBA guys that failed in college. Whom am I forgetting?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/3766698002

Here’s a list of guys, all of whom have pretty much sucked.  I think the jury’s still out on Penny (hasn’t lived up to the hype, but I guess they just won the NIT today), and it remains to be seen whether Howard can keep this going.

20 minutes ago, John S said:

I dont think any coach would have much success with that group as core.  Also need a proven PG and big man at minimum.   

Yeah can’t wait to see what a bang up bunch of players our well seasoned college coach with a bunch of relationships to high school kids and other programs he has worked at can bring in to replace them...not very optimistic..

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I'm actually pretty excited. Again...it's not Stevens or Beard or whomever....but college hoops has changed plenty. Howard was brought back but they succeeded because of Martelli too. This combo approach has shown it can work and I'm at the very least going to give it a go. 

And they were loaded with returning talent. 

I'm probably as disappointed as anybody about this hire.  I hated the Archie hire, and I hate this one even more.

Having said that, I don't know anything about how Woodson will be as a college coach.

Can somebody tell me what type of system he'll run?

What will his offense and defense look like?

What is his philosophy?  Will he be hard nosed, or LEO like Allen?

What tempo is he looking to play?

What type of players will he try to recruit?

On paper, it is very underwhelming just based on name recognition and lack of college experience.  I don't think we know enough to tell how it will work out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And they were loaded with returning talent. 

Somewhat, but Howard brought in grad transfers like Mike Smith and Chaudee Brown, and lured B1G freshman of the year Hunter Dickinson to Ann Arbor, so he did do a good job there...

I'd think guys like Woody and Howard would be enticing to grad transfers who are marginal NBA talents...They have to be thinking "maybe this is the guy who can get me over the hump."

• Thanks 1

I think some of the delay may have been defining Matta's role.  Maybe they thought of him as an associate head coach like Phil Martelli, but it was decided that this was not the best way to do it.  That may explain all the smoke we saw about Matta and that he was hired as HC and flunked a physical.  He may not have flunked a physical, but this was a distorted view of the plan for his new position.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bringing in one of those guys sets a clear picture of who the next head coach will be.  I think Woodson coaches for 5 seasons or so and whichever of Fife/Lewis is hired as an assistant will be the coach in waiting.  And, that will be understood by all future recruits 

Lewis is the guy to get.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IU247 said:

I’d add player development.  If he gets guys better, it will open eyes.   He should be able to.  He knows exactly what skill sets players need in the league.   Also, recall the article talking about his hands on teaching.  He’d even do it to Jason Kidd as a veteran, and Kidd accepted it.