Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, BGleas said:

I'm trying to talk myself into being remotely excited about this, but it just isn't happening. 

This makes no sense.  Literally could have made this hire the day we fired Miller.  Why the hell did they wait this long?  We could have already been recruiting our own players to stay and also hitting the transfer portal.

This is just a meh hire to me.  

Dolson gets a D+ from me on the hire.  Hopefully it turns out but my word this was about as underwhelming as it gets.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm trying to talk myself into being remotely excited about this, but it just isn't happening. 

That kind of surprises me...

Like I said, take a look at his NBA record with 2 woeful franchises...He improved every year in Atlanta, going from 13 wins the 1st year, to 53 when the Hawks in their infinite wisdom decided not to bring him back, and the Knicks, well, you know about them...But he coached them to a 1st place finish in the Atlantic Division in 2014...Just for a refresher, here are his numbers...

MW.PNG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Living in Btown my wife and I know a few former players and their families.  All the talk on here over the last few years is real.  All the players have been clamoring for an “IU guy” that gets Indiana.  Dolson just delivered what they have been asking for.

I heard this was real possibility last week and I just blew it off as the same old same old, just like Steve Alford talk was when they hired Archie.  I am still in shock about this.  I truly thought Dolson had a big fish lined up.  This is a license plate the hook.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

This makes no sense.  Literally could have made this hire the day we fired Miller.  Why the hell did they wait this long?  We could have already been recruiting our own players to stay and also hitting the transfer portal.

This is just a meh hire to me.  

Dolson gets a D+ from me on the hire.  Hopefully it turns out but my word this was about as underwhelming as it gets.

Good question. Makes it look like they had some guys turn the job down first. 

• Like 1

Out of the realistic options this is probably the best option. Woodson is relevant in that he's got NBA experience as a player and coach. And it's recent ecperience as a coach/assistant in the league. That carries more credibility than Archie or Crean ever had. The fact he is an IU guy and connects to the better days provides some hope. I'd hope the fanbase would support him and the players.

If he can teach them to shoot FTs that's more than Archie.could do. If he teaches them to play D that's more than Crean could do. 

If one of the "homerun" guys showed interest they would be on their way to Bloominton now. I'll take the guy that wants to be there and doesn't require begging and pleading through the media. 

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 8

I would put this on par with any of my choices that aren't Brad Stevens. I think his NBA experience is going to be huge on the recruiting trail. Kids might not know who he is, but once someone tells them, they will be impressed. He has a reputation as a great developer of talent and lots of NBA guys will attest to that. I don't have an opinion as to his ability with x's and o's, but if he is lacking (and he may not be), then Matta is more than capable of filling that gap. I like it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Living in Btown my wife and I know a few former players and their families.  All the talk on here over the last few years is real.  All the players have been clamoring for an “IU guy” that gets Indiana.  Dolson just delivered what they have been asking for.

I heard this was real possibility last week and I just blew it off as the same old same old, just like Steve Alford talk was when they hired Archie.  I am still in shock about this.  I truly thought Dolson had a big fish lined up.  This is a license plate the hook.

Yes man Dolson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That kind of surprises me...

Like I said, take a look at his NBA record with 2 woeful franchises...He improved every year in Atlanta, going from 13 wins the 1st year, to 53 when the Hawks in their infinite wisdom decided not to bring him back, and the Knicks, well, you know about them...But he coached them to a 1st place finish in the Atlantic Division in 2014...Just for a refresher, here are his numbers...

MW.PNG

Then why hasn't another franchise hired him in 6 years? Because he's uninspiring to even NBA franchises. You couldn't sell a Woodson head coaching hire to an NBA fanbase in 2021. He's got zero college coaching or recruiting experience and it just seems flat lazy. Seems to me they swung for Stevens and then went right to Woodson, without ever even trying for Beard, Muss, Oats, etc. 

This could definitely work out, but we absolutely lost the press conference. The good news is winning games is more important than winning press conferences. 

• Like 5