Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Literally none of our feelings will make one iota of a difference. Not supporting the program (its players, coaches, etc) WILL make a huge difference. The team and recruits will recognize. 

Woodson has been an NBA coach for quite a while. It sounds like he’s going to be  overseen or assisted by Matta,  himself quite an accomplished coach. And he’s an IU guy. 

IU stands to benefit significantly from the NIL money players can now make. It matters to me a great deal more that we have a forward thinking approach to fully helping players capitalize on all of our collective IUBB mania/fandom. Scott Dolson didn’t ask for my opinion and the job is done, so I can be underwhelmed but it seems like some of you enjoy being mad more than anything else. If this all makes you so angry, maybe it isn’t really a hobby. 

Exactly what I said the other day. It's time to stfu and get behind one of our own.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This changes things for me. 

I agree.  Woodson on his own is a “meh” hire, but bringing in Matta makes it more interesting.  As with most NBA guys, it comes down to the assistants, and having Matta, regardless of the weird title, is a pretty good to place to start... Have to think that won’t be a bad tag team in recruiting.  Wonder if they’ll bring in Fife or Lewis as well.

• Like 1

Just now, HoosierFaithful said:

Literally none of our feelings will make one iota of a difference. Not supporting the program (its players, coaches, etc) WILL make a huge difference. The team and recruits will recognize. 

Woodson has been an NBA coach for quite a while. It sounds like he’s going to be  overseen or assisted by Matta,  himself quite an accomplished coach. And he’s an IU guy. 

IU stands to benefit significantly from the NIL money players can now make. It matters to me a great deal more that we have a forward thinking approach to fully helping players capitalize on all of our collective IUBB mania/fandom. Scott Dolson didn’t ask for my opinion and the job is done, so I can be underwhelmed but it seems like some of you enjoy being mad more than anything else. If this all makes you so angry, maybe it isn’t really a hobby. 

This is very new news, and somewhat unexpected to a lot of people. Some of you guys are going to need to give people some time to vent. We’ve gone from the guy that would have been the perfect hire being a done deal to hiring someone who has never coached in college. 

When the time comes, I’d wager the vast majority of those disappointed will support Woodson and his staff. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What can he even do in that role?

Matta was a D1 head coach for a long time, and Woody hasn't had that experience...Think Juwan Howard and Phil Martelli but in a slightly different capacity...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree.  Woodson on his own is a “meh” hire, but bringing in Matta makes it more interesting.  As with most NBA guys, it comes down to the assistants, and having Matta, regardless of the weird title, is a pretty good to place to start... Have to think that won’t be a bad tag team in recruiting.  Wonder if they’ll bring in Fife or Lewis as well.

But I don’t think Matta can go out and recruit. He’s basically a consultant. 

I have a serious question. Is it right that Woodson was making 4mil to be an assistant?? Give me 4mil a year and not deal with the spotlight everyday. Could that be the biggest reason he hasn't put his name out there? He was making a great living with somewhat minimal responsibility. But, maybe IU is the job he would risk the spotlight for???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

This is very new news, and somewhat unexpected to a lot of people. Some of you guys are going to need to give people some time to vent. We’ve gone from the guy that would have been the perfect hire being a done deal to hiring someone who has never coached in college. 

When the time comes, I’d wager the vast majority of those disappointed will support Woodson and his staff. 

My post came off a bit preachier than I intended, and I totally get what you’re saying - there are a small minority who seem to cherish finding negative angles about every piece of IU news. Perhaps I should be more liberal with my ignore button lol

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Matta was a D1 head coach for a long time, and Woody hasn't had tyhat experience...Think Juwan Howard and Phil MArtelli but in a slightly different capacity...

Yeah I see parallels to Martelli but Martelli can actually coach and recruit which is a big difference obviously. 

• Like 1

You guys are a bunch of "fuddy duddies".  We keep doing the same thing over-and-over and failing.  Now Dolson does something out of the box to revive the program, and all you can do is whine.  Weren't you listening when he said he wants a "cutting edge" offense" that would attract aspiring players.  The landscape of college basketball is going to change rapidly.  Soon athletes can be paid for their images, etc.  Why not hire an NBA coach who is an ex-player to teach NBA offense and handle athletes who are no longer strictly amateur?  Why hire a great former coach to help oversee the transition?

• Like 5