Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

My post came off a bit preachier than I intended, and I totally get what you’re saying - there are a small minority who seem to cherish finding negative angles about every piece of IU news. Perhaps I should be more liberal with my ignore button lol

Yeah, i’d say give it a couple of days. We might hear about assistants and a longer term plan that could change some minds. Not gonna lie - I’m pretty bummed out, but I’ll certainly support the hire when the time comes, just not there yet, and I’m sure there are others in the same boat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Then why hasn't another franchise hired him in 6 years? Because he's uninspiring to even NBA franchises. You couldn't sell a Woodson head coaching hire to an NBA fanbase in 2021. He's got zero college coaching or recruiting experience and it just seems flat lazy. Seems to me they swung for Stevens and then went right to Woodson, without ever even trying for Beard, Muss, Oats, etc. 

This could definitely work out, but we absolutely lost the press conference. The good news is winning games is more important than winning press conferences. 

Just looking at his record, I don't know...Maybe he was a PITA to upper management...

Neither one of those clubs had any semblance of how to win at the time, and he still made winners out of them...

Says a lot to me...and watching videos of players like Carmelo, Jamal Crawford, and Raymond Felton talking about Woody makes me feel even better...

Maybe he won't work out, but let's not start condemning him before he ever has a practice...

• Like 5

When it comes to Indiana basketball you can't fix stupid. 20 years of absolute bullshit and we hire a 63 year old with no college coaching or recruiting experience and hasn't won squat anywhere. And then we try and copy Michigan by hiring Matt's to help out.

Dumb and dumber are in charge. The basketball program should be on comedy central because it has become nothing but a joke!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's funny.. but it's pretty true, as well. 

With the Matta angle, and if he can bring in a really strong staff, at least it's outside the box, instead of boring like hiring Alford or something. At minimum it's at least creative. 

The big problem will be that we have a head coach that has never recruited a day in his life, so if he can't bring back the team and somehow convince some good transfers to come in, I don't think fans will give him a  pass on a bad first year. 

• Like 4

I honestly cannot find any excitement in this besides knowing the search is over...what a let down... guess we will see how the players feel if any comeback. Bring back lander and Franklin and Stewart and race and tjd I’ll give it a try. Other than that I ain’t gonna be paying much attention untiL the season starts. Zero excitement...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

With the Matta angle, and if he can bring in a really strong staff, at least it's outside the box, instead of boring like hiring Alford or something. At minimum it's at least creative. 

The big problem will be that we have a head coach that has never recruited a day in his life, so if he can't bring back the team and somehow convince some good transfers to come in, I don't think fans will give him a  pass on a bad first year. 

I think it will be a sign of how many current players he is able to keep from transferring. I really hope I am wrong about this...but I just don't see it. I just texted several people and not one person is happy about this hire.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Everyone who has read any of my post this is who I wanted.  This day is awesome.  Mike Woodson is going be a grand slam and IU is back!!!

Have a feeling he was plan A2 all along.  

I definitely had Woodson at the top my list - I really feel his coaching record was not remotely correctly interpreted...

• Like 1