Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Before we fired Archie, who I was ready to see go, I said there were scenarios that I thought it would've made more sense to keep Archie. 

This is one of those scenarios. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd have much preferred one more year of Archie to this. 

No way.  I’m not super stoked on Woodson either, but bringing in an NBA guy with Matta playing some kind of prominent role in the program is infinitely better than running it back with Archie for one more horrible year and firing him in 2022.  It’s apparent now that Indiana isn’t interested in or able to bring in the type of coach we’ve all been hoping for since Crean was fired (Donovan, Stevens, Beard, Oats, Musselman, etc.), so this is at least a new start.  My expectations aren’t very high, but I’m at least intrigued to see how it will go.  And it’s finally put up or shut up time for the “hire an IU guy” crowd.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Before we fired Archie, who I was ready to see go, I said there were scenarios that I thought it would've made more sense to keep Archie. 

This is one of those scenarios. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd have much preferred one more year of Archie to this. 

Bingo. Rather have the whole team back minus AD, and hope we snag a shooter than settle for this. I’ve said this many times, I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Then why hasn't another franchise hired him in 6 years? Because he's uninspiring to even NBA franchises. You couldn't sell a Woodson head coaching hire to an NBA fanbase in 2021. He's got zero college coaching or recruiting experience and it just seems flat lazy. Seems to me they swung for Stevens and then went right to Woodson, without ever even trying for Beard, Muss, Oats, etc. 

This could definitely work out, but we absolutely lost the press conference. The good news is winning games is more important than winning press conferences. 

Yes or no question.  In hindsight, whether he's sexy or not, did the Hawks make a good or bad move when they fired Woodson?  

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No way.  I’m not super stoked on Woodson either, but bringing in an NBA guy with Matta playing some kind of prominent role in the program is infinitely better than running it back with Archie for one more horrible year and firing him in 2022.  It’s apparent now that Indiana isn’t interested in or able to bring in the type of coach we’ve all been hoping for since Crean was fired (Donovan, Stevens, Beard, Oats, Musselman, etc.), so this is at least a new start.  My expectations aren’t very high, but I’m at least intrigued to see how it will go.  And it’s finally put up or shut up time for the “hire an IU guy” crowd.

Well said. At the end of the day, Dolson may have just been told NO, a lot. And I'd rather gamble with this, than the known, crappy alternative (Archie)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is pretty much how I feel as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

I think this WAS this was the #1 or #2 choice. 

Given how complicated hiring both Matta AND Woodson and to keep it quiet and announce it simultaneously, this has been in the works for awhile...

Personally, I find it really exciting - good coaches can coach. I don't care if he has not coached in college. 

Just imagine what he will do with TJD if he comes back one more year...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

They better have a plan to bring in a Lewis or Fife to at least bring in some young potential into the fold...

And, they probably do.  But, Lewis is not going to be available as long as UCLA is in the tournament.  So, let's not be too hasty in our criticism.

• Like 1

Last time, Woody tried to pitch Larry Brown to come with him.  This time, Matta fills that spot.  Presumably we don’t need to pay a guy like Woody much at all or give much of a buyout.  So the savings can pay for Matta.   Woody had zero leverage so if there’s any kind of substantial buyout after four years, that’s a disaster. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes or no question.  In hindsight, whether he's sexy or not, did the Hawks make a good or bad move when they fired Woodson?  

I don't remember the exact situation. The guy that replaced him had a higher winning percentage in both the regular season and the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I don't think there's a single IU fan that is excited by this.

I'm still an IU fan and will still cheer for the team, but this is pretty underwhelming.

I am in the excited department. It plays on many levels. NBA Coach mixed with others who have recent legit credibility. Maybe we all see things differently but the list of NBA All Stars that Woodson has coached? That resonates in a living room. 

Sure we all want a Stevens hire....but it didn't happen.

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Last time, Woody tried to pitch Larry Brown to come with him.  This time, Matta fills that spot.  Presumably we don’t need to pay a guy like Woody much at all or give much of a buyout.  So the savings can pay for Matta.   Woody had zero leverage so if there’s any kind of substantial buyout after four years, that’s a disaster. 

He'll be on social security soon.  Hopefully that will offset the buyout when he's fired in 2 years. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, they probably do.  But, Lewis is not going to be available as long as UCLA is in the tournament.  So, let's not be too hasty in our criticism.

I understand Lewis is not available now. Bringing Lewis or Fife in won't necessarily make me feel good about the hire, but I would at least have some positive vibes about it.