Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No way.  I’m not super stoked on Woodson either, but bringing in an NBA guy with Matta playing some kind of prominent role in the program is infinitely better than running it back with Archie for one more horrible year and firing him in 2022.  It’s apparent now that Indiana isn’t interested in or able to bring in the type of coach we’ve all been hoping for since Crean was fired (Donovan, Stevens, Beard, Oats, Musselman, etc.), so this is at least a new start.  My expectations aren’t very high, but I’m at least intrigued to see how it will go.  And it’s finally put up or shut up time for the “hire an IU guy” crowd.

This isn't true. We have no idea what anyone coaching this weekend, which made up most of the targets people seemed to want, thought of the job. 

It seems like we could have made this hire in two weeks. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Players decisions will be telling. 

Completely agree. If he can convince TJD to come back, and most of Franklin, Lander, Race and Geronimo to stay, then maybe he can get off to a good start and build some momentum. He's going to have to figure out how to add to that as well though, which is maybe an even bigger concern. 

More critical than ever for a coach to get off to a good start though. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think this WAS this was the #1 or #2 choice. 

Given how complicated hiring both Matta AND Woodson and to keep it quiet and announce it simultaneously, this has been in the works for awhile...

Personally, I find it really exciting - good coaches can coach. I don't care if he has not coached in college. 

Just imagine what he will do with TJD if he comes back one more year...

If this was the #1 or #2 choice, then Dolson isn’t very smart.  “Good coaches can coach” just really isn’t true when it comes to NBA guys going to college.  I don’t expect him to light the world on fire next year even if TJD does come back, but he can surely do better than Archie.

And that’s basically where IU is at.  It’s not about getting the program back to blue blood status, it’s about getting the program back to not being a joke.

I gotta go for a run. This is absurd. I suppose it’s how you “spin it.”

I’m not buying “spin.”

This hire SUCKS. And waiting this long and letting the base think it could’ve been better made it worse for US, for Dolson, for Wood, etc. this hiring process was a complete FAILURE.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. If he can convince TJD to come back, and most of Franklin, Lander, Race and Geronimo to stay, then maybe he can get off to a good start and build some momentum. He's going to have to figure out how to add to that as well though, which is maybe an even bigger concern. 

More critical than ever for a coach to get off to a good start though. 

And if he doesn’t it’ll tell you all you need to know for what’s ahead in recruiting. These are the “easy sells.” These kids have every reason to stay for any coach who turns their crank. If he can’t sell them we’re screwed. If he DOES it doesn’t mean he’s gonna kill it in recruiting, but if they mostly or all leave, we are screwed.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Last time, Woody tried to pitch Larry Brown to come with him.  This time, Matta fills that spot.  Presumably we don’t need to pay a guy like Woody much at all or give much of a buyout.  So the savings can pay for Matta.   Woody had zero leverage so if there’s any kind of substantial buyout after four years, that’s a disaster. 

I'd forgotten about the "last time" story.  In a sense, I'd rather have Larry Brown - the man can teach the game.  BUT, Larry has trouble keeping his hands clean.  And he call Beilein "kid". 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

And if he doesn’t it’ll tell you all you need to know for what’s ahead in recruiting. These are the “easy sells.” These kids have every reason to stay for any coach who turns their crank. If he can’t sell them we’re screwed. If he DOES it doesn’t mean he’s gonna kill it in recruiting, but if they mostly or all leave, we are screwed.

Absolutely! With the reaction to this hire, he has to get off to a good start. I know he's an "IU guy", but fans are so underwhelmed that he won't be able to afford an "Archie" like first year, and this roster needs more pieces than just the current guys coming back. 

How does he recruit the transfer market this offseason with no recruiting experience? 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Before we fired Archie, who I was ready to see go, I said there were scenarios that I thought it would've made more sense to keep Archie. 

This is one of those scenarios. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd have much preferred one more year of Archie to this. 

I think this is one thing I would completely disagree with.  No one will ever convince me keeping Archie for another year was a good idea.  It was not working at historically bad levels.  I would take this current scenario over Archie staying every time.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I honestly cannot find any excitement in this besides knowing the search is over...what a let down... guess we will see how the players feel if any comeback. Bring back lander and Franklin and Stewart and race and tjd I’ll give it a try. Other than that I ain’t gonna be paying much attention untiL the season starts. Zero excitement...

I dont think any coach would have much success with that group as core.  Also need a proven PG and big man at minimum.   

• Like 1

Trying to stay positive.

- his former players absolutely love him. I remember Jared Jeffries about their relationship before CAM was fired. 

- Thibs brought him on as an assistant to develop the young guys and for his offense mind. 

- NBA is all about talent. He did well coaching the talent he had.

I’ll give him a chance. First test is to recruit back the players who entered the portal. Next test, really sell his NBA experience to other transfers. Would love to see him go after Marcus Carr. 

• Like 7

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I think we need guys who know college landscape backward and forward.  I think Matta gets his Rolodex out.  He will probably get interest as it is.  We need tireless recruiters who know how to do it.  

Absolutely.  As has been said by someone else: making Matta the AADBO (or whatever it is), leaves 3 assistant coach positions available for it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The fact that, so far, only 4 people have liked this post so far tells me that some of you are determined to hate this hire regardless of the facts.  

Well the facts are, even if the players loved him he was still an average NBA coach. And the facts are that we have no clue if he can coach college basketball or recruit college basketball. Most of these coaches can coach, Archie Miller can coach, but not all of them can coach at a high level in college or the pros.

Oh well if he is our coach we need to support him and hope for the best.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

I mean, i appreciate the positives people are bringing up, but it still feels like I’m having to talk myself into this being a good hire rather than knowing it’s a good hire. Agreed that we’ll get a pretty quick indicator of where this is going based on what guys he can get back from the current group. 

• Like 2