Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

23 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Agree with importance of staff.  Since we are committed to “IU guy” model, finish asst staff off with:

Mike Lewis

AJ Guyton

AJ Moye

With this you'd think Mike Roberts stays on, no? I'm not as in tuned or knowledgeable to know or see the impact of what he has. But my opinion is that we could use that slot and fill it with someone better... idk.

17 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dolson just sucks.  My hunch about him was spot on.

We paid $10M and Utah and Marquette got better hires.  Tom Crean and Archie are laughing their a$$es off.

Shaka Smart better? 

Texas Longhorns (Big 12 Conference) (2015–2021)
2015–16 Texas 20–13 11–7 4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17 Texas 11–22 4–14 10th  
2017–18 Texas 19–15 8–10 T–6th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Texas 21–16 8–10 6th NIT Champion
2019–20 Texas 19–12 9–9 T–3rd Post-season cancelled due to pandemic
2020–21 Texas 19–8 12–6 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64

you think you could at least wait to see with these results at Texas to make that comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Disappointed when the news broke yesterday, but things I am looking forward to that I am sure are just repeats of other posts. My only concerns are really of not coaching/recruiting in college previously.

My Positives:

1. Offense minded Coach who won't ignore defense - Obviously Crean's biggest issue. 

2. His teams in the NBA did really well and we have all seen/read the players interviews who love him - this might be Archie's biggest failure.

3. He is an IU guy who played 4 years for Coach Knight. I don't consider that a criteria for the job, but I do think it will help him. Not only is he an IU guy, he was raised an Indiana guy.

4. Going to have Matta around to help when needed. I think this was a really smart move.

I am looking forward to seeing how this thing goes.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Shaka Smart better? 

you think you could at least wait to see with these results at Texas to make that comment.

109-86 overall 56% winning % overall

52-56 in conference 48% winning %

Archie Miller 54% winning % 

43% winning % in conference.... zero reason to say Marquette got a better hire. At least for now. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Shaka Smart better? 

People hire designers to design the unknown.  Henry Ford said, if I asked people what they want...they would say faster horses.

Some, not everyone, have the idea it should be someone with college experience.

Well, a guy like Mike Woodson would only coach college for one job, and one job only.  Otherwise the NBA, the best in the world, wanted him.

This is a grandslam hire, one I wanted from the start.

I mean, reports have been Brad Stevens lost his team sometime last year.  You can dissect anything and spin it anyway you want.  

See the unknown, and that is this could and should be the most important hire since Knight.  And, Dolson knocked it out of the ballpark.

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

If we are in this position 5 years from now then i will just have to except the fact that maybe iu basketball has come and gone..i hope not...we have the right type of AD,coach and staff to get this turned around. 

Well it actually remains to be seen if we have the right AD coach and staff to get this turned around.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve watched/read a lot in the last 18 hours and this video got me most excited. I didn’t realize Thad Matta was looked at by so many other programs when they were hiring a new coach. The fact that he is coming to IU as an assistant is pretty huge. Think about the wide range of expertise and knowledge between Matta and Woody.....and not to mention AAU/State connections mixed in with legit NBA connections. 

I’m really excited to see how the next few weeks play out. 

All the Woodson and Matta stuff was great. Solid watch, but any video that ends on “will sink the Biz survive Covid” is automatically elevated to must watch 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

109-86 overall 56% winning % overall

52-56 in conference 48% winning %

Archie Miller 54% winning % 

43% winning % in conference.... zero reason to say Marquette got a better hire. At least for now. 

i wasnt thinking of that comparison. I was thinking of Shaka and Woody comparison he was trying to draw. Shaka didnt really do much at Texas, and to say that Marquette got a better hire than IU at this point is silly. With that if Woody gets passed the round of 64 any time in 6 years, we should be good then...?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The whining and complaining is endless for some. No matter what IU does they are upset. Maybe it is time to start with a clean slate and remove the trolls.

The same losers complaining Woodson is too old at 63 would be thrilled with Dana Altman at 62 or John Beilein at 68. They are not interested in giving Woodson a chance to show what he can do as a coach and recruiter. If you think it is that bad I'm sure most of us would welcome your resignation from this forum. It would truly be addition by subtraction if some of you were no longer participating as Indiana fans.

The same losers should take this opportunity to spend all their time following the Celtics and waiting for the day Brad Stevens decides he wants to coach at IU. Probably going to be a long wait. Good luck to you.

This is a ridiculous post. So just because we are not happy with the hire we should be removed from this board. Last I looked this is a free country and not everyone has to agree about everything. 

While I am not overly enthused about this hire I will still support Coach Woodson and IU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Outside of the coach of the Celtics, the names being kicked around to be our next coach were not home run hires. Coach Woodson very well may be an inside-the-park homer.  Tradition, culture, interpersonal skills, networking, experience in a true pressure cooker environment..... these are things that Coach has. I think Dolson got this right. Yes we would have been over the moon if the other guy was hired, but I am not so sure that Coach Woodson is not a better fit.  IU fans live in the past because that's all we got. I think after the year that we have had some of the importance of those "out-dated" ideas that IU basketball was known for just might have a re-awakening.  I also think Milehi would approve of this hire and be telling stories about Coach "Woody".  This program needed to be mended. IU is and was a blue blood because of how we played the game. I just don't think that Muss, Oats, Drew, or even Beard were going to revive this.  Coach Woodson is here, and the future is bright.  I got a good feeling about this.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is a ridiculous post. So just because we are not happy with the hire we should be removed from this board. Last I looked this is a free country and not everyone has to agree about everything. 

While I am not overly enthused about this hire I will still support Coach Woodson and IU.

What's ridiculous is the collection of those who bash IU at every turn. It wouldn't matter who they hired. There are some who's only goal is to criticize IU and you can see the same names pop up in every topic to do nothing more than rip the program. They are not fans.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The whining and complaining is endless for some. No matter what IU does they are upset. Maybe it is time to start with a clean slate and remove the trolls.

The same losers complaining Woodson is too old at 63 would be thrilled with Dana Altman at 62 or John Beilein at 68. They are not interested in giving Woodson a chance to show what he can do as a coach and recruiter. If you think it is that bad I'm sure most of us would welcome your resignation from this forum. It would truly be addition by subtraction if some of you were no longer participating as Indiana fans.

The same losers should take this opportunity to spend all their time following the Celtics and waiting for the day Brad Stevens decides he wants to coach at IU. Probably going to be a long wait. Good luck to you.

so, i don't think i qualify as a troll because i have been an IU fan since i knew what sports were and always back them and have been on this board since the original.  i may be a loser because, yes, i would be excited about the other "old guys" because they have a lot of success at the college level.  i also can't understand why we need to get rid of people who do not like the hire?  we need different viewpoints.  now, if anyone who doesn't like the hire is cheering for us to fail, that is waaaaaaaay different.  that is definitely not me.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

What's ridiculous is the collection of those who bash IU at every turn. It wouldn't matter who they hired. There are some who's only goal is to criticize IU and you can see the same names pop up in every topic to do nothing more than rip the program. They are not fans.

Not everyone that is dissatisfied with this hire bashes IU with every post. You used a pretty broad stroke in your post. Using the insult losers quite often. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

I am fine with this hire. Anyone not named Stevens was going to be a let down. The more I think about it the more I like. The instate kids will look at IU but I truly believe we will be able to bring in top level talent. CMW has way too many NBA connections to be ignored.  Winning solves everything but I think he can get it done here. I look forward  to seeing him put his stamp on the program. NBA offense, players will love but more importantly respect him. He will work them hard but they will know he always has their back. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Reflecting on the hire over the last 18 hours, I've come to appreciate how solid the hire is.  With Archie, regardless of the on the court performance, I couldn't help but remember Juwan Morgan's senior day speech.  There was no love for Archie in it.  Not one ounce.  But, there was also not really any love for IU in it either.  Archie failed miserably as a coach in getting his players to embrace what it meant to be a Hoosier.    

By contrast, I'm extremely excited to see the reaction of guys like Alan Henderson and AJ Guyton to the hiring of Woodson.  I think we're going to see a revival in the understanding of what it means to be a Hoosier.  And, in doing so, winning basketball may just follow.

Eric Gordon, Jeffries, Randy Wittman, Isiah Thomas, as well. 

Oh and Magic Johnson

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not everyone that is dissatisfied with this hire bashes IU with every post. You used a pretty broad stroke in you post. Using the insult losers quite often. 

Not to speak for Euroclydon, but there are some who go beyond expressing dissatisfaction, and I am interpreting the post as a reference to those who are senselessly bashing in an over-the-top manner.  

• Like 1

I hate this hire.  I didn't really know who Woodson was, which apparently makes me a bad fan.  I wanted IU to open the vault and go Whale hunting.  And regardless of any IU person/fan thinks, Woodson was not a Whale in any coaching community.  Respected, sounds like it, but not a name in the top 10 of any school anywhere at any time.

Will it work out, its why we play the games i guess.  I am a little less enthused about IU basketball that I was with CAM at the helm so about as apathetic as before.  I was surprised and a little upset by the hire but no more than when i pull up to get fuel and realize that it's now 3.25 instead of 2.99.  I am just used to to it getting worst instead of better.  And I am already seeing 5 years this or 6 years that in threads.  This makes me a little more sad because I really don't want to spend the next 4 years debating how long a coach needs before he can implement "his" brand of basketball.

I hope Woodson is the grand slam hire some of you keep saying.  I hope he proves everyone wrong and knocks it out of the park.  But if he was such a whale, why was he an assistant?  Why was he never attached to any other programs coaching search?   

Winning cures all and makes Whales out of them all.  If he wins that's al the matters.  He just needs to win.

• Like 1