Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He is a way better candidate than you realize with all things considered. Sorry... but to me.. your list is just the flavor of the day stuff + people that weren't an option (Altman, Drew, Oats). Matta is literally on our payroll now. 

Here’s the $10mm question... what about a guy like Muss?  Was he even spoken to?   Was it get Stevens or IU guy with the buyout money?  Did Woodson get a token interview and blow Dolson away and earn it on his own merits?    I’m optimistic about the result and the hire ... just curious the process how we got here.   

And in full disclosure - I complained that IU didn’t interview any other candidates when they gave the team to Tom Allen!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

How in the world can people think this. He has a stellar reputation across the NBA. The toughest league in the world. How does a guy revered at the highest level, with a proven track record ever be considered the drunk fat chick.

Mike Woodson is an elite level coach that loves IU as much, if not more, than we do. And we are gonna bash him like this?

I dont get some of you.  

Well said. Plus, "drunk fat chick" is just..... I don't know.  

9 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Scott Dolson was at the bar, went right for the hottest girl there, got rejected then went straight for the drunk fat chick.

While I'm not the biggest fan of this hire, this is a little over the top and not needed.

Edited by Hoosier51

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Interesting that Woodson suggested Thad Matta. Shows confidence and an understanding that a total team effort is needed from people who know basketball.

Would love to know that list someday that Dolson has referenced. Haha.

Coach Woodson gets it.  He is not afraid to say he needs others and that it's not all about him.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

With all the anger you have, i think you might be the one that need self-reflection. Constantly calling people losers just screams someone with issues.

Also it just seems hard for you to understand that not every one disliking this hire is rooting against IU, they just don't like this hire. I will be cheering for IU every game and hoping for Coach Woodson to get us back on top. 

Constantly is false. I've never called out posters on this forum until now and it's not even you specifically, though you seem to want to debate it as if these things are not happening. Look back and you will see not one posters name was mentioned. However you're, in my opinion, part of the problem if you are ok with bashing this hire.

How many times through the past three coaching searches have you read about the concerns coaches have with IU fans and unreasonable expectations? The amount of negative sludge that's been tossed out when it comes to IU hiring a coach is relentless. That has to stop. IU should be one of the best jobs in the country because of its fans, not in spite of them. Most of the fans get that. It's the small group of anti-IU zealots and/or troll that claim to be fans causing a lot of that perception.

• Like 2

I’m not going to presume to tell anyone else how to feel.  However, I suspect most people are in the same camp as me, which is to say he was not my first choice.  But, I don’t want to be in a position where I’m negative on the team.  So, I’m going to support him and hope our play skyrockets.  Hopefully we see immediate results in terms of keeping our current players, getting an incredible staff, recruiting, and winning big.  Let’s get the frustrations behind us and win big.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Here’s the $10mm question... what about a guy like Muss?  Was he even spoken to?   Was it get Stevens or IU guy with the buyout money?  Did Woodson get a token interview and blow Dolson away and earn it on his own merits?    I’m optimistic about the result and the hire ... just curious the process how we got here.   

And in full disclosure - I complained that IU didn’t interview any other candidates when they gave the team to Tom Allen!  

See.. I'm not. Idk none of that stuff has ever mattered to me. The bolded statement is my bet though. 

22 minutes ago, aaprice14 said:

Archie lost his team.  There is no way bringing back Archie would have done anything positive.  After seeing Woodson's past players comments, how he improved each team he was a head coach for, the development of players, I think Woodson has a chance to be a good hire.  Archie was a sinking ship.  The assistants could make or break this hire.  Like most people on hear, I am pulling for Michael Lewis.  

I agree Woodson could end up being a good hire. I wrote another post before I went to bed last night. After having time to reflect on it, I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

How in the world can people think this. He has a stellar reputation across the NBA. The toughest league in the world. How does a guy revered at the highest level, with a proven track record ever be considered the drunk fat chick.

Mike Woodson is an elite level coach that loves IU as much, if not more, than we do. And we are gonna bash him like this?

I dont get some of you.  

You mad bro? Calm down, it's called an analogy.

After going for the hire everyone wants in Brad Stevens, Dolson went right for the safest, surest thing he could find without going after some other options first like Chris Beard, Musselman, Oats, etc.

I'll support the guy, but I'm also really trying to get excited about it.

• Like 1