Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not going to presume to tell anyone else how to feel.  However, I suspect most people are in the same camp as me, which is to say he was not my first choice.  But, I don’t want to be in a position where I’m negative on the team.  So, I’m going to support him and hope our play skyrockets.  Hopefully we see immediate results in terms of keeping our current players, getting an incredible staff, recruiting, and winning big.  Let’s get the frustrations behind us and win big.  

Very good post 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dead serious - i love hearing all this optimism.  i am unable to watch right now, but i love hearing how many of you think this is great.  i really do.  gives me a little more hope i'm wrong and hope that things are looking up.  sure would be awesome!  i am hoping to hear a few guys that i generally respect and agree with chime in though...

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't agree when people say anyone not named Stevens would be disappointing.  i would not have been disappointed with Beard, Musselman, Altman, Drew (kind of), Oats, Matta, or Beilein.  i also don't get why we would hire a guy just to make former players happy if he is not the best candidate and not an experienced college coach.  again, that said, i'll hope for the best!

I don't remember if I saw it here or somewhere else.  But, someone listed the NBA records of all current college coaches who also coached in the NBA.  

This list includes Calipari. Pitino, Musselman, Beilein, Leonard Hamilton, and some others I can't think of.

Woodson had the highest NBA winning percentage of them all.

He is a VERY good coach.

• Like 9

Are you concerned about your lack of college experience:  Not at all, basketball is basketball.  I have coached at the highest level and some of the greatest players in the basketball world.  Yes, there will be some challenges coming back to coach at IU but at the end of the day coaching is coaching.  Going to recruit quality student athletes but will try to surround himself with people to help navigate the challenges.  At the end of the day he has to put a product out on the floor Hoosier fans will love.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

dead serious - i love hearing all this optimism.  i am unable to watch right now, but i love hearing how many of you think this is great.  i really do.  gives me a little more hope i'm wrong and hope that things are looking up.  sure would be awesome!  i am hoping to hear a few guys that i generally respect and agree with chime in though...

I have chimed in 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

None of those guys are remotely as credentialed as Woodson. Not close.

They are the hot new names. Woodson has proven it for decades.

And yeah, it does make me a little mad when people take shots at a guy that walked away from the NBA because IU is home, and this is his dream.

What has he proven? His career winning % as a head coach is around 45%. He's never coached in college, nor recruited a college athlete. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years.

If he's so "proven" as you suggest, how come no one else hired him to be their head coach since the Knicks hired someone to replace him?

Sorry, but just because this is someone's dream job doesn't make them uniquely qualified for it. Nor does it ensure success.

It sounds like he'll have support from the administration, but where he could use real support is if they backed off a little and let him and his staff work the gray area in recruiting. To me, if we're still not willing to go there then it won't matter very much who the coach is.

• Like 1