Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Vision for style on offense and defense:  When i look at college basketball they are taking things from the NBA to college.  A lot of 3/4 and zone D.  Shooting the three on offense.  I think i can bring a defensive system where players can play 3-4 positions, if you did switch defensively you felt good about them guarding the ball, and players committed to rebounding.  Work hard to defend the ball or a break down.  Rebound as a unit.

Offensively, the three ball has changed the game.  Gotta recruit players that can shoot and make plays for each other.  Offense where everyone touches the basketball.  If you can't shoot you better be able to do other things to help us win games.  Cant just live on shooting threes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

THANK YOU GOD!!!! HE IS TALKING ABOUT SHOOTING THE 3 BALL!!!! 

If you are open, let it fly baby. Play "good" AAU ball. That's all it is. Move it, move it, move it and flick it. Cut and screen for each other, it isn't the most complicated thing in the world. 

I see Leal getting a lot of playing time since he has the most potential as a 3 point shooter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What personality?  I'm falling asleep right now.

Personality is not one-dimensional.  You think this is how he talks all the time?  Watch some videos of him interacting with players. He is emotional and reflective. Sorry that you do see this. 

• Like 3

Just now, IUDan93 said:

Personality is not one-dimensional.  You think this is how he talks all the time?  Watch some videos of him interacting with players. He is emotional and reflective. Sorry that you do see this. 

This is exactly how every NBA press conference is. Much more of a business feel. 

• Like 4

Do the players fit your system or do you want to craft a system to the current players strength:  I have to assess and watch more film, speak to them and get their feelings on the past season.  Decisions need to be make if they decide to leave.  If the leave build a plan B and go into the portal.

My own comments: I think this could have been answered better.  This has long been my issue, the last couple coaches didn't adjust to their players strengths.  Need a fluid offense IMO that fits the players strengths while keeping a core concept that coach wants to implement.  Last few coaches have been to rigid on styles, need more flexibility here.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

What has he proven? His career winning % as a head coach is around 45%. He's never coached in college, nor recruited a college athlete. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years.

If he's so "proven" as you suggest, how come no one else hired him to be their head coach since the Knicks hired someone to replace him?

Sorry, but just because this is someone's dream job doesn't make them uniquely qualified for it. Nor does it ensure success.

It sounds like he'll have support from the administration, but where he could use real support is if they backed off a little and let him and his staff work the gray area in recruiting. To me, if we're still not willing to go there then it won't matter very much who the coach is.

You are discussing his winning % in the NBA? He had some bad teams and won some playoff series. What did Calipari, Pitino or Mussleman do at that level? They failed miserably and got booted from the NBA. 

Why has Woodson not gotten booted? Because he was known as a very good coach.

You tell me any college coach that has/can win a playoff series in the NBA?

It's such a different level. A level that HOF college coaches failed miserably at. Yet Mike Woodson was kept around.

I think you are underestimating just how difficult and elite the NBA is.

He has done more there than any current college coach possibly could. Now he is bringing that experience to IU.

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I'm sensing a very quiet confidence type approach....and I have no doubt we'll be hitting the portal hard. 

He is saying he wants to do everything to keep the players, but he slipped in that he wants to keep the players who will help us.  

• Like 3

Switching on defense and versatile defenders where you get positionless. 

Offense.  Move the ball.  Premium on shooting.  3 pt shot is key.  You can have a different role on O if you aren’t a shooter.   He’s going to want shooters  and taking advantage of the 3 ball.  But don’t shoot if you aren’t a shooter.  He said in NY they led in 3 point shooting and had eight guys in their rotation who could shoot.  

What’s not to like?

• Like 4

One thing comes to mind. Leader of Men. Something that couldn't be said about the last few hires.

Going to be tough on you when needed. Honest. 

You can tell the guy played for Knight. Has so many qualities of a Knight player, and the NBA experience. I'm pumped!

• Like 7