Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

So what role can Matta play? It must be a macro level role, but will he have the ability to work at the player level, meeting with recruits on campus.  This may be ideal for Matta because his health limits his ability to do the day to day, but his mind needs to be tapped.

1 minute ago, IUDan93 said:

So what role can Matta play? It must be a macro level role, but will he have the ability to work at the player level, meeting with recruits on campus.  This may be ideal for Matta because his health limits his ability to do the day to day, but his mind needs to be tapped.

No. They can like go see him but he can’t actively recruit or do any type of coaching. 

Edited by IUskim
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

I want to play for Coach Woodson. He is calm, cool and collected. 

Reminds me of Leonard Hamilton in that regard. 

Can you shoot and play multiple positions? If so......though with a name like Jabba you might need to get in shape.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

What has he proven? His career winning % as a head coach is around 45%. He's never coached in college, nor recruited a college athlete. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years.

If he's so "proven" as you suggest, how come no one else hired him to be their head coach since the Knicks hired someone to replace him?

Sorry, but just because this is someone's dream job doesn't make them uniquely qualified for it. Nor does it ensure success.

It sounds like he'll have support from the administration, but where he could use real support is if they backed off a little and let him and his staff work the gray area in recruiting. To me, if we're still not willing to go there then it won't matter very much who the coach is.

I hope we all understand that winning percentage in the NBA is a lot different than if he had that winning percentage in college. I hope people also understand how bad of franchises he has coached, and yet he has made the playoffs more than he has missed them. 

You may very well be right about the administration, but that is a completely different discussion that is irrelevant in terms of who is coaching. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

You are discussing his winning % in the NBA? He had some bad teams and won some playoff series. What did Calipari, Pitino or Mussleman do at that level? They failed miserably and got booted from the NBA. 

Why has Woodson not gotten booted? Because he was known as a very good coach.

You tell me any college coach that has/can win a playoff series in the NBA?

It's such a different level. A level that HOF college coaches failed miserably at. Yet Mike Woodson was kept around.

I think you are underestimating just how difficult and elite the NBA is.

He has done more there than any current college coach possibly could. Now he is bringing that experience to IU.

While i understand what your point is, you really can't compare college coaching and NBA coaching, either way.  I don't think those who say what has he done have any more ground to stand on as those who say look what he did in the NBA.  They don't translate up or down.  We will just have to wait and see how he is as a college coach.  But its ok to be excited and/or disappointed in the hire. 

Good God this fan base is so something [insert whatever word you can figure out].  We have those that jump and are all in the moment the decision is made and immediately stat bashing those that take a bit longer or even much longer to come to grips with it.  And then you have the i couldn't be happy if Jesus was coaching the team because they just want something to bitch about.

How about we let those be happy who want to be happy and those be sad or disappointed be disappointed.  FFS guys, we're not all carbon copies of the same person.

For 2 weeks this board was enjoyable.  We were all on the same boat about discussing potential coaches, the NCAA tournament and that we surely did need a change.  It took every bit of 12 hours to divide the board into factions again and start the mud slinging and name calling.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Thanks 1

They showed some video of SD, MW, and TM after the conference. Cool to seem them all hanging out. SD and TM gave a big time high 5 afterwards. 

Then.. as MW departed.. he grabbed his bag (leather brief case) and strolled on out of the conference room. The only other coach I know that carries a leather brief case is the man I coach under in football and he's a HOFer. He's old (65).. but he has more fire, passion, and balls then any person I've ever seen. Dolson said your reputation isn't about what you said you will do, it's about what you've done. 

I'm all in on Mike Woodson. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we just saw a small glimpse of his other personality as presser was ending. Big smile, showed more enthusiasm ,etc....

I think his press conferences are just as others have said. Much more business like and plain...but behind the scenes he''ll be much more open.

correct 

• Like 2

I will say for those just looking at his overall winning percentage in the NBA that (1) he's coached some really poorly run franchises, and (2) his overall percentage is dragged down because he took over an awful Atlanta Hawks team and turned them into contenders. Similar to FCTC, those first 2-3 years in Atlanta really drag down CMW's overall percentage in the NBA. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

While i understand what your point is, you really can't compare college coaching and NBA coaching, either way.  I don't think those who say what has he done have any more ground to stand on as those who say look what he did in the NBA.  They don't translate up or down.  We will just have to wait and see how he is as a college coach.  But its ok to be excited and/or disappointed in the hire. 

Good God this fan base is so something [insert whatever word you can figure out].  We have those that jump and are all in the moment the decision is made and immediately stat bashing those that take a bit longer or even much longer to come to grips with it.  And then you have the i couldn't be happy if Jesus was coaching the team because they just want something to bitch about.

How about we let those be happy who want to be happy and those be sad or disappointed be disappointed.  FFS guys, we're not all carbon copies of the same person.

For 2 weeks this board was enjoyable.  We were all on the same boat about discussing potential coaches, the NCAA tournament and that we surely did need a change.  It took every bit of 12 hours to divide the board into factions again and start the mud slinging and name calling.

Fair enough. But the college game is continuously looking more and more like the NBA in style and strategy. That bodes well for us imo.

Who better to teach that style than a guy that has lived it for so long? That is part of what has me optimistic.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dolson said we can have a zoom meeting.... Woodson replies with "if you want to meet with Mike Woodson, either I'm getting on a plane or you're getting on a plane and coming to me"..... that's good s*** right there. 

Called my dad and told him about this quote... His response "wtf is a zoom meeting?" He's 67. Gold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Fair enough. But the college game is continuously looking more and more like the NBA in style and strategy. That bodes well for us imo.

Who better to teach that style than a guy that has lived it for so long? That is part of what has me optimistic.

And it's looking more like the NBA because college is copying the NBA, and it's honestly easier to do the schemes the NBA runs in college than the NBA for a few reasons.

From a defensive standpoint, college is easier because you can play a true zone, you're allowed to foul a lot more, and most teams really only have 2-3 guys who can really beat you. In the NBA, all five guys on the court can beat you and hit contested shots. If we play an NBA level defense and take away those 2-3 options, we are going to be REALLY good on defense. 

And from an offensive standpoint, I know many complain about it, but the NBA is designed to find a good look quickly. There isn't the aimless wasting time that leads to desperation and forced shots like there is in college. We are going to space the floor, play with pace, and shoot with confidence. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting that Woodson suggested Thad Matta. Shows confidence and an understanding that a total team effort is needed from people who know basketball.

Would love to know that list someday that Dolson has referenced. Haha.

From a chemistry perspective I’m very glad to hear that Matta was Woodsons idea. Many considered Matta a candidate and it could have caused some potential issues if Matta had been “imposed” on Woody.

Also says a lot about Woodsons confidence in that he is not threatened by Matta, input from others etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And from an offensive standpoint, I know many complain about it, but the NBA is designed to find a good look quickly. There isn't the aimless wasting time that leads to desperation and forced shots like there is in college. We are going to space the floor, play with pace, and shoot with confidence. 

I think the first and most important obstacle for CMW if he gets the core of this group back is to fix what's going on with them mentally. 

• Like 7

I'd like to say welcome Coach Woodson.  I, for one, am excited to see what he can do.  Wealth of knowledge.  Good guy.  Players love him.  Cool, confident demeanor (his presence reminds me of John Thompson).  His track record working with ELITE players along with his own personal success on the hardwood will speak volumes in recruiting.  

Here's our man with Zeke and Tolbert from the '79 PanAm Games:Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 9.36.35 AM.png

• Like 6

Regarding players.  I hope Franklin and Lander stay.  But I’d add Geronimo. I recall someone here mentioned his mom thought IU is far from home. But I think he can absolutely thrive with Woodson.   Coach said he wanted defenders who can cover multiple positions.  Geronimo is ideal for that. Also, he is putting a premium on shooting.  Well Jordan squares up and has a nice shot.  I think he can take off under Woody.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Switching on defense and versatile defenders where you get positionless. 

Offense.  Move the ball.  Premium on shooting.  3 pt shot is key.  You can have a different role on O if you aren’t a shooter.   He’s going to want shooters  and taking advantage of the 3 ball.  But don’t shoot if you aren’t a shooter.  He said in NY they led in 3 point shooting and had eight guys in their rotation who could shoot.  

What’s not to like?

If I'm Franklin, Stewart and Hunter, I leaned forward in my chair. They have the size (quickness for Hunter is a question) to play switching defense and the shooting ability from 3.

• Like 3