Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding players.  I hope Franklin and Lander stay.  But I’d add Geronimo. I recall someone here mentioned his mom thought IU is far from home. But I think he can absolutely thrive with Woodson.   Coach said he wanted defenders who can cover multiple positions.  Geronimo is ideal for that. Also, he is putting a premium on shooting.  Well Jordan squares up and has a nice shot.  I think he can take off under Woody.  

Agree on Geronimo, as well

• Thanks 1

Time will tell with this hiring.  It doesn’t matter what we say today.  But, I do think Dolson comes across really well.  It’s not just that he’s affable and has a smooth personality.  He’s also all business.  You can see why he raises money extremely well.  But he has a sports background and he seems to get it.  He’s a lifer.   I recognize that nothing gets decided today on success vs failure.  This will all play out.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GrangerHoosier said:

What has he proven? His career winning % as a head coach is around 45%. He's never coached in college, nor recruited a college athlete. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years.

If he's so "proven" as you suggest, how come no one else hired him to be their head coach since the Knicks hired someone to replace him?

Sorry, but just because this is someone's dream job doesn't make them uniquely qualified for it. Nor does it ensure success.

It sounds like he'll have support from the administration, but where he could use real support is if they backed off a little and let him and his staff work the gray area in recruiting. To me, if we're still not willing to go there then it won't matter very much who the coach is.

So you dont like the hire but you want IU to cheat to win. Welcome to being the first person i put on ignore, because what you could say from here is meaningless. GOOD BYE

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I've seen multiple people post this... what's the obsession with this? I don't understand. Fife wasn't good at IPFW (tough situation, I agree). Cheaney.. just no, he couldn't get hired at UE. 

Lewis.. I mean, he would be the only one even remotely close. 

Does this stuff happen often though? Is there any sort of precedents for this? I flat out do not understand the appeal, whatsoever. 

All the assistants at Duke are former Duke players and most if not all assistants at UNC are former UNC players.

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Time will tell with this hiring.  It doesn’t matter what we say today.  But, I do think Dolson comes across really well.  It’s not just that he’s affable and has a smooth personality.  He’s also all business.  You can see why he raises money extremely well.  But he has a sports background and he seems to get it.  He’s a lifer.   I recognize that nothing gets decided today on success vs failure.  This will all play out.  

Agree that Dolson just has that “it” factor that makes me feel like I should trust him. 

• Like 2

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I think we have some capable shooters that need to feel free to shoot without worrying about it.

We NEED a PG, we NEED a stretch 4. We also NEED better player development. There is ZERO reason Race Thompson isn't "consistently" hitting 3s. He should be shooting 32% from 3 at least. 

This will open up so much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I go back to fit. Not all coaching candidates fit every opportunity.  This hire seems to unify those guys that have put in the hard work to help build Indiana Basketball.  As fans we help in a different way but those that played love this and maybe we now have the guy that helps players now understand what Indiana basketball is really about. 

That is why you just don't hire resumes or a run in the tournament.  You hire coaches who fit the program and guys who knows what it takes to win at a place is more important than just wins or losses

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would like to ask a question and not get blasted for it for the next 3 pages please.

Why does it matter that ex-players love the hire? I get alumni /donors, that is where your money is coming from, although that can bite you in the ass with a bad hire.  Its not like we're flooding the NBA with players that every kid knows and by extension what school they went to.

Just a question, not sure I get how the "IU Guy" thing is going to help recruit anywhere outside of Indiana and maybe not even in the state of Indiana.

Again, not trying to get blasted for being negative or a bad fan or getting myself banned because i am not "on board" with the hire.  Just a question

I think if former players are at the game and come talk to the current team it helps immensely.   They can tell them what IU means to them and how playing at IU made them the people they are today.  they can show them what it takes to be great at IU and what it takes to win here.  You want guys coming back and not just RMK guys but IU guys who are playing in the NBA right now showing that playing at IU you can make it to the NBA.  You don't think it helps recruiting when they see former all time greats at the game or in the locker room.  I look at UNC and duke who always have a lot of former players hanging around the program.  I think having MJ coming back to UNC helps in many ways.