Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think if former players are at the game and come talk to the current team it helps immensely.   They can tell them what IU means to them and how playing at IU made them the people they are today.  they can show them what it takes to be great at IU and what it takes to win here.  You want guys coming back and not just RMK guys but IU guys who are playing in the NBA right now showing that playing at IU you can make it to the NBA.  You don't think it helps recruiting when they see former all time greats at the game or in the locker room.  I look at UNC and duke who always have a lot of former players hanging around the program.  I think having MJ coming back to UNC helps in many ways.

not trying to pick at you here, but asking a serious question...how do they show them what it takes to be great at IU and what it takes to win here?  telling old stories?  i'm just curious.  i agree for sure that it is good to have alumni around and supportive, but not sure it is going to change our current players.  

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm excited to see if we have a coach that will actively play for the 2 for 1 at the end of a game/half.

JFC, yes!! I really don't understand why so few coaches/players pay attention to this. Jordan was the master of it, and it might seem minor, but it's potentially two extra possessions in a game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

You mad bro? Calm down, it's called an analogy.

After going for the hire everyone wants in Brad Stevens, Dolson went right for the safest, surest thing he could find without going after some other options first like Chris Beard, Musselman, Oats, etc.

I'll support the guy, but I'm also really trying to get excited about it.

I guarantee just as a basketball coach and the X and O's of the game Woodson is far superior to any of these college coaches you talk about

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think we need to wait and see what happens in the future regarding recruiting. I hope you are right, but remember after Archie landed Romeo many thought he was going to lock up the state.

I'm talking about the MIC. He will dominate the MIC. Archie basically did lock up the state, outside of 2021. We aren't losing Indy kids. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

What personality?  I'm falling asleep right now.

Might be time for you to find something else to occupy your time because you r act is wearing thin here.  Might need to go back to rivals with your negative buddies and leave this site to actual IU supporters because you are not one.  Like it or not fans like you are why the IU program is a place that the coaches you want are not willing to come here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm talking about the MIC. He will dominate the MIC. Archie basically did lock up the state, outside of 2021. We aren't losing Indy kids. 

2021 was huge though...it might have gotten him another year had he done better in state with 2021 recruiting. But yeah, Woodson should do well in Indy.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guarantee just as a basketball coach and the X and O's of the game Woodson is far superior to any of these college coaches you talk about

This is so completely based off of nothing.  I agree Coach Woodson can coach since he has been an NBA head and assistant coach for years but come on.  Far superior than Beard, Muss, Oats, Belein, Drew. etc?  Based off of what. They are winning and accomplished coaches in the college ranks in their own rights.  I know you're excited and hate when others don't agree with your point of view and you hate how college basketball is these days  but come on man.  He has no College experience and most of them have no NBA experience.  One does not negate the other and vise versa.  They might be both called basketball, but they are not even close to being the same game.  We will need to wait and see how it translate to IU and I for one am willing to wait and see even though i don't like the hire.  But this whole crowning him the next Bob Knight already and hanging the 6th banner might be a bit of over doing it some. 

And i know you and I don't see eye to eye on about 99% of anything Scott so don't take this as an attack or me being a bad fan, i am just not impressed with the hire. Doesn't mean he won't work out, but it also doesn't make him the a basketball savant either.

17 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

not trying to pick at you here, but asking a serious question...how do they show them what it takes to be great at IU and what it takes to win here?  telling old stories?  i'm just curious.  i agree for sure that it is good to have alumni around and supportive, but not sure it is going to change our current players.  

Adding to what Scott says I think it is helpful for the players to know that they are playing for something bigger than themselves, that past players have been successful, that they have the support of past players.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think if former players are at the game and come talk to the current team it helps immensely.   They can tell them what IU means to them and how playing at IU made them the people they are today.  they can show them what it takes to be great at IU and what it takes to win here.  You want guys coming back and not just RMK guys but IU guys who are playing in the NBA right now showing that playing at IU you can make it to the NBA.  You don't think it helps recruiting when they see former all time greats at the game or in the locker room.  I look at UNC and duke who always have a lot of former players hanging around the program.  I think having MJ coming back to UNC helps in many ways.

The former UNC and Duke players happen to be hanging around a lot of current players that are primarily 4 and 5 star players (ie are the former players “inspiring” the current players or do those programs tend to have good teams because they have really good players ? I think it’s the later).

I’ve stated before that while I think it’s “nice” if former players feel welcomed, and are around the program,  I’ve questioned if it translates on the court. The RMK return to the Hall was billed as the third most important event in the history of mankind and the players performed as if they would have rather taken naps than play PU that day. I also don’t think players mindsets change because a guy that played in the glory days, possibly older than their dad, hung around and watched them practice for a hour.

On the other hand......after listening to Woody I’m being sold on the possibility that the IU ties, being all-in on IU, making it clear this is one of the best places to be etc etc might resonate when it is coming directly from the head coach (as opposed to past players that float in and out to say hello).  We will see but the possibility of this working is really growing on me. 

1 minute ago, slojoe said:

Adding to what Scott says I think it is helpful for the players to know that they are playing for something bigger than themselves, that past players have been successful, that they have the support of past players.

okay, so i agree that i there is any way to instill that, it would be huge!  i really am asking how that works though.  is it alum coming in and giving IU bball history lessons?  

@IU Scott you are going to have to root for modern offense. I will enjoy every game now knowing that. 5 out, 4 out, everyone can flick it. Then can all drive. Crean's offense with less TOs and a defense that understands how to guard the PNR/PNP. 

IF we play guys that aren't overly skilled offensively, they are screen setters/big time on the glass/long/excellent defenders. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 7