Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay, so i agree that i there is any way to instill that, it would be huge!  i really am asking how that works though.  is it alum coming in and giving IU bball history lessons?  

Modeling is important.  I don't think you teach these things in the sense of a classroom in this case.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guarantee just as a basketball coach and the X and O's of the game Woodson is far superior to any of these college coaches you talk about

That’s true. Remember the quotes from Musselman that X’s and O’s adjustments in college are a joke compared to the the NBA.   I think Woody should be able to see where something is weak or getting attacked and get it fixed immediately.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay, so i agree that i there is any way to instill that, it would be huge!  i really am asking how that works though.  is it alum coming in and giving IU bball history lessons?  

I think the family culture and having a "home" might help with keeping kids out of the transfer portal or maybe entice some to come to IU, but i think its more for the alumni and donors to have more access to the program than they have had in a long time.  I am not sure how open and welcoming Knight was to Alumni and Donors but i guess its something they have been wanting?

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is so completely based off of nothing.  I agree Coach Woodson can coach since he has been an NBA head and assistant coach for years but come on.  Far superior than Beard, Muss, Oats, Belein, Drew. etc?  Based off of what. They are winning and accomplished coaches in the college ranks in their own rights.  I know you're excited and hate when others don't agree with your point of view and you hate how college basketball is these days  but come on man.  He has no College experience and most of them have no NBA experience.  One does not negate the other and vise versa.  They might be both called basketball, but they are not even close to being the same game.  We will need to wait and see how it translate to IU and I for one am willing to wait and see even though i don't like the hire.  But this whole crowning him the next Bob Knight already and hanging the 6th banner might be a bit of over doing it some. 

And i know you and I don't see eye to eye on about 99% of anything Scott so don't take this as an attack or me being a bad fan, i am just not impressed with the hire. Doesn't mean he won't work out, but it also doesn't make him the a basketball savant either.

I don't care for the NBA but it is the highest level of basketball there is and they are way more dynamic than the college game.  Have you seen Beard's team play offensively because it is not very good and no better than Archie's offense.  Also the last 5-10 years the college game is becoming more like the NBA every year so we need a guy who knows the NBA game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

The former UNC and Duke players happen to be hanging around a lot of current players that are primarily 4 and 5 star players (ie are the former players “inspiring” the current players or do those programs tend to have good teams because they have really good players ? I think it’s the later).

I’ve stated before that while I think it’s “nice” if former players feel welcomed, and are around the program,  I’ve questioned if it translates on the court. The RMK return to the Hall was billed as the third most important event in the history of mankind and the players performed as if they would have rather taken naps than play PU that day. I also don’t think players mindsets change because a guy that played in the glory days, possibly older than their dad, hung around and watched them practice for a hour.

On the other hand......after listening to Woody I’m being sold on the possibility that the IU ties, being all-in on IU, making it clear this is one of the best places to be etc etc might resonate when it is coming directly from the head coach (as opposed to past players that float in and out to say hello).  We will see but the possibility of this working is really growing on me. 

Well if Archie would have let the current players say out there and soak in what was happening then maybe they would have played with more of a purpose.  I understand if you are younger or wasn't around IU basketball all of your lives not understanding what these players mean to IU.  I just feel at this time when other hires outside the IU family has not worked it is time to go this route.

2 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

What has he proven? His career winning % as a head coach is around 45%. He's never coached in college, nor recruited a college athlete. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years.

He's way more proven than Juwan Howard was.  Why don't you give him a chance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't care for the NBA but it is the highest level of basketball there is and they are way more dynamic than the college game.  Have you seen Beard's team play offensively because it is not very good and no better than Archie's offense.  Also the last 5-10 years the college game is becoming more like the NBA every year so we need a guy who knows the NBA game.

No its not.  You have spent 4 years blasting College basketball and how its getting worst and worst and you can't stand to watch it.

And just because coaches don't have NBA caliber offenses doesn't mean an NBA coach is FAR SUPERIOR than a college coach.  There is so much different in college that they aren't nearly the same game.  Not to mention the talent level and amount of time and resouce you have in the NBA vs College to practice and learn.  

Its easy to say implement a NBA style offense and defense, but you better have the talent and bbIQ players to do so.  Look how long and hard it took for our current team to learn the defense CAM ran.

I am just saying they are both called basketball but there is so much difference that they truly are not the same sport anymore.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@IU Scott you are going to have to root for modern offense. I will enjoy every game now knowing that. 5 out, 4 out, everyone can flick it. Then can all drive. Crean's offense with less TOs and a defense that understands how to guard the PNR/PNP. 

IF we play guys that aren't overly skilled offensively, they are screen setters/big time on the glass/long/excellent defenders. 

Sure will because I see that is how the game is going today.  Don't get me wrong I love the 3 point shot because that is all I could do on the court at a high level.  I just don't like relying on it solely but we have to be a lot better at shooting the 3.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With the premium on shooting and Woody’s NBA background, he’s an ideal fit.  

I agree.
99% of the talented recruits (I might be 1% low, LOL) want to be in the NBA. I agree with the sentiments that his age, and lack of college experience, are not ideal but I also question why a Midwest recruit would be more excited sitting across their kitchen table from Muss/Oats versus NBA guy Woodson.
 If you are a recruit being told you need to develop x,y,z to get to the next level would it mean more from Woody or Muss (not to mention that I think Mussleman would view each win as being one step closer to his NBA coaching dream)?  
Before the announcement I preferred Oats, and maybe Mussleman, over Woodson but have flipped that today. Might be wishful thinking on my part but regardless I hope this works out as the program can’t continue to sink for another 4-5 years.

• Like 3

With what he has said about wanting players to guard multiple positions and everyone being able to shoot from outside, im hoping to see something along the lines of Golden State from a few years ago.  Not exactly like it.  I understand GS had 3 of the best shooters in nba history on the team so i know it would have to be somewhat modified, but my point still stands. 

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

With what he has said about wanting players to guard multiple positions and everyone being able to shoot from outside, im hoping to see something along the lines of Golden State from a few years ago.  Not exactly like it.  I understand GS had 3 of the best shooters in nba history on the team so i know it would have to be somewhat modified, but my point still stands. 

Not to be rude at all... but GS is the golden child of how to build a basketball team right now. Everyone wants to be them. 

• Like 2

Most of the people posting here have a good idea of the type of basketball they like, the style, etc.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat as they say.  But I liked all that I heard as far as matching up with what I’d like to see. Here are some of the things I really liked today.  

• He wants to coach kids hard.  He recognizes that it can be hard as the player because he knows.  He was the player that was coached hard.  But he can tell you first hand the benefit you get out of it.  You will get a lot better and maximize your ability.  [Any kid who doesn’t want to get coached hard might as well go somewhere else and save us trouble. We will end up with better chemistry.]
  • On defense, he wants versatile guys who can switch.  It gets a bit positionless.  
  • On offense, he wants a lot of guys touching the ball (ball movement)
  • On offense, he wants shooters.  He said he had eight in his rotation at NY.  Three point shot has changed the game.  They were high on the number of three point shots in NY.  
  • Player development is important.  He’s done a lot. Talked about the young guys he had in Atlanta and how he got them better. 
  • Self awareness. He knows young kids don’t know who he is.  He will address that. 

All of the above leads to good basketball and helps develop guys for the NBA.  It’s a win-win.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He's way more proven than Juwan Howard was.  Why don't you give him a chance?

I don't think anyone is not going to give him a chance, i just think those who didn't think he is a grand slam or home run hire have the right to no think he is the next Bob Knight that a lot of people are trying to say.  Lets all take a breath from the Sunshine to the gloom and see how it plays out a bit.  Other than the always hate everyone about IU people, most of the those who are disappointed will be here the whole time, rooting for IU and hoping they are wrong.  But it is ok to not like the hire and still love the program.  That is one of the biggest issues i have with some posters.  Just because someone doesn't agree or subscribe to their opinion, they blast them and tell them to leave and go back to wherever and blah blah blah.  They are as bad as the total negative people.

Just my thoughts.  Wait and see.  Currently we're in a Schrodinger's Cat situation.  The hire is both awesome and terrible at the same time.  Its going to take a couple years to see which one it is.  Neither opinion is currently correct.  Root for IU though, is what we all do, just with different colored lenses in the glasses we wear

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think we need to wait and see what happens in the future regarding recruiting. I hope you are right, but remember after Archie landed Romeo many thought he was going to lock up the state.

A coach will never lock up the state; you only have 13 scholarships. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

.  I understand if you are younger or wasn't around IU basketball all of your lives not understanding what these players mean to IU.  

In my own mind I am young...very young,

Others might disagree that I’m young as I was a freshman in Bloomington during the undefeated 75-76 season and in Bloomington for grad school for the ‘81 championship (ie. very lucky/spoiled). I even saw Woodson in person when he had hair...LOL.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guarantee just as a basketball coach and the X and O's of the game Woodson is far superior to any of these college coaches you talk about

Come on, there is no way you can guarantee that so don't even bother.

You sound a lot like Notre Dame fans talking about Charlie Weis when he was hired, how he was learning under some of the best minds in football and was going to out-scheme anyone they played. We all know how that turned out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't think anyone is not going to give him a chance, i just think those who didn't think he is a grand slam or home run hire have the right to no think he is the next Bob Knight that a lot of people are trying to say.  Lets all take a breath from the Sunshine to the gloom and see how it plays out a bit.  Other than the always hate everyone about IU people, most of the those who are disappointed will be here the whole time, rooting for IU and hoping they are wrong.  But it is ok to not like the hire and still love the program.  That is one of the biggest issues i have with some posters.  Just because someone doesn't agree or subscribe to their opinion, they blast them and tell them to leave and go back to wherever and blah blah blah.  They are as bad as the total negative people.

Just my thoughts.  Wait and see.  Currently we're in a Schrodinger's Cat situation.  The hire is both awesome and terrible at the same time.  Its going to take a couple years to see which one it is.  Neither opinion is currently correct.  Root for IU though, is what we all do, just with different colored lenses in the glasses we wear

I don't think anyone has said he is a homerun hire or that this could fail because it certainly can.   I just think all fans should get behind the coach and the program and try to make it great again.  I think the program needs total support to get back to being elite and not have the fan base fractured.  I did not like the last 3 hires but I backed them until they prve to me that they couldn't get the job done.

1 minute ago, GrangerHoosier said:

You sound a lot like Notre Dame fans talking about Charlie Weis when he was hired, how he was learning under some of the best minds in football and was going to out-scheme anyone they played. We all know how that turned out.

Yeah, but F ND. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

A coach will never lock up the state; you only have 13 scholarships. 

Correct, there are 13 scholarships...and normally IU is recruiting the top 2-4 in any given year...depending on the talent level that particular year. For 2021 IU missed on Kaufman/Furst/Goode etc. If you are landing your top targets from the state, most would consider that locking up the state...not literally landing every recruit from the state.

5 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Charlie Weis' ego was too big to allow him to even consider accepting help. He would have never brought on someone like a Matta or admit that he didn't know the ins and outs of the college game. 

Form everything I know about Mike Woodson, and everything said by and about him in the last few days, he is nothing like Charlie Weis.

• Like 3

Just remember that the NBA is the highest level of basketball and he was able to stay in the league for 25 years.  If you are not a great coach or don't have something great to offer you don't stay in the league that long.  I don't care to watch the NBA but have seen a lot of it over 50 years to know that in game coaching is a lot of about making adjustments and obviously Woodson knows how to do that.  Just look at his time at the Hawks who is one of the worst organizations in the league and had them winning 54 games and going to the semi finals of the eastern conference.  The time he got there the Hawks was the youngest team in the league and you can't win in the NBA when you have a very young roster.  So those first couple of years record will look really bad but after he got it going his winning percentage is pretty good.  They have not been good since he left.  also the Knicks has James Dolan as an owner who is probably the worst owner in sports and was able to take them to the playoffs two straight ears after taking over a train wreck.  The Knicks has been terrible ntil this year when Woodson came back as an assistant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Charlie Weis' ego was too big to allow him to even consider accepting help. He would have never brought on someone like a Matta or admit that he didn't know the ins and outs of the college game. 

Form everything I know about Mike Woodson, and everything said by and about him in the last few days, he is nothing like Charlie Weis.

Nope. They're the same. Pros to college. They are all the same, didn't work for him... got it? They're the same. 😆

• Haha 1