Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Nope. They're the same. Pros to college. They are all the same, didn't work for him... got it? They're the same. 😆

And it ignores that Charlie Weiss was really good until his laziness recruiting caught up to him. I think it's fair to be concerned about Woodson recruiting, but we all surely recognize recruiting a team of 13 is a lot different than a team of 85. 

Actually... I'm sure some people don't realize the differences.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yesterday I was disappointed. Today after more research and consideration I am cautiously optimistic, intrigued, and on board. A coach hire will not change how I feel about IU basketball. It’s in my blood. When I consider we have 2 of the guys that were on many lists I couldn’t be more intrigued by that. Let’s go IU!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And it ignores that Charlie Weiss was really good until his laziness recruiting caught up to him. I think it's fair to be concerned about Woodson recruiting, but we all surely recognize recruiting a team of 13 is a lot different than a team of 85. 

Jay Williams said this morning that recruiting won't be a problem as WWW would be a huge help.  Not sure how I feel about that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The recruiting concerns are valid. Matta was just a great addition. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think anyone has said he is a homerun hire or that this could fail because it certainly can.   I just think all fans should get behind the coach and the program and try to make it great again.  I think the program needs total support to get back to being elite and not have the fan base fractured.  I did not like the last 3 hires but I backed them until they prve to me that they couldn't get the job done.

This is where you are always wrong Scott.  You assume because people didn't like the hire or have something other than 100% positivity that they are not behind the program or that the fanbase is fractured.  The program is bigger and will last longer than any one hire.  I can love IU basketball and hate the administration, the coach and the current roster of players (not that i do, just an example).  That doesn't change my love for the program.  Coaches will come and go.  Players will come and go.  IU basketball will be there when they are dead and gone.  I don't have to love the hire.  I don't have to put on a smile and rah rah rah.  I can say this hire sucks.  I don't think it will work.  And we'll be back here in 4 years.  But game night, i will root for IU to win and for us to hang another banner.  I love being proven wrong.  But i don't need you or any other mouth breather telling me i am bad fan because i don't subscribe to your version of fandom.  so STFU and move on if someone doesn't agree with you

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is where you are always wrong Scott.  You assume because people didn't like the hire or have something other than 100% positivity that they are not behind the program or that the fanbase is fractured.  The program is bigger and will last longer than any one hire.  I can love IU basketball and hate the administration, the coach and the current roster of players (not that i do, just an example).  That doesn't change my love for the program.  Coaches will come and go.  Players will come and go.  IU basketball will be there when they are dead and gone.  I don't have to love the hire.  I don't have to put on a smile and rah rah rah.  I can say this hire sucks.  I don't think it will work.  And we'll be back here in 4 years.  But game night, i will root for IU to win and for us to hang another banner.  I love being proven wrong.  But i don't need you or any other mouth breather telling me i am bad fan because i don't subscribe to your version of fandom.  so STFU and move on if someone doesn't agree with you

amen brutha

• Like 1

I mentioned in the other thread that I was initially not on board with a potential Woodson hire as the HC.  After reading, watching and researching Mike Woodson over the past day and listening to the press conference I am fully on board.  I think this was a well thought out hire and I think he can succeed here.  It isn't the big name I was looking for, but I am excited about the hire now.  I am am optimistic and I think he can do some really good things here.

The Thad Matta addition to the AD office I think will pay huge dividends and will really help Woody transition to the differences between the NBA and College.  

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 4

Dakich likes the hire. But I turned him on and he was mocking the role of Matta.  He made fun of the notion that he grew up a fan of IU because Dan actually busted his butt for IU.  Then Dan ridiculed Matta’s role as making sure the travel was ok.  

Dan is smarter than that.  Matta is a pro. He knows the recruiting landscape and how to succeed at it in Indiana (Oden, Conley, Thomas), Ohio etc.  He has contacts for staff.   He knows the conference.  Also, he might not be on the bench, but presumably he’s another set of eyes.  He will be able to tell Woody what he saw as a top coach the next day or whatever.  I think Matta is a huge asset. Hopefully he keeps his ego in check and the relationship with Woody goes really well.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Jay Williams said this morning that recruiting won't be a problem as WWW would be a huge help.  Not sure how I feel about that.

I don't know if it was WWW but didn't we have some concerns with a friend of the program some years back about some shady dealings.  I have this vague memory about the board talking about it.

Having seen the talk that Archie didn’t have his whole heart in this job and seeing horrible basketball for 4 years, I’m excited. I’m happy that no one is calling this a grand slam hire because that’s what Miller was lauded as. He’s an Indiana guy and this means a lot to him. Brighter days. I’m fully on board. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

@Mike_WoodsonIU

Knew twitter handle for coach. He's already posted twice. He'll need to be much more active on this account than he was on his past one. (nothing wrong with that)

Honestly i would think this account will be run by multiple people, not just Mike, in this day and age a social media marketing person should be making sure this account stays hot and fresh with posts all the time.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich likes the hire. But I turned him on and he was mocking the role of Matta.  He made fun of the notion that he grew up a fan of IU because he busted his butt for IU.  Then he ridiculed his role as making sure the travel was ok.  

Dan is smarter than that.  Matta is a pro. He knows the recruiting landscape and how to succeed at it in Indiana (Oden, Conley, Thomas), Ohio etc.  He has contacts for staff.   Also, he might not be on the bench, but presumably he’s another set of eyes.  He will be able to tell Woody what he saw as a top coach.  I think Matta is a huge asset. Hopefully he keeps his ego in check and the relationship with Woody goes really well.

Dan is not smarter than that. Biggest egomaniac I’ve ever listened to. He thinks he should’ve been given the keys after Sampson got canned and has never let it go 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I mentioned in the other thread that I was initially not board with Woodson as the HC.  After reading and researching Mike Woodson and listening to the press conference I am fully on board.  I think this was a well thought out hire and I think he can succeed here.  I'm excited to see how this goes.  I am am optimistic.

Basically the same for me. 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

It seems like WWW has not been around the college game in a while. At least, I don't here his name. It seemed like he had well-established relationships with that crop of kids from Lebron to Anthony Davis and now they're all in the NBA. I think he's technically employed by the Knicks, so i'm not sure how much meddling he does in college any more. 

But if Woody can use Wes to his advantage without crossing the line, then I'm all for it. And who knows if he has a role in today's college game with the NLI rules going into effect. 

....Woody, did thank him in the press conference, which was interesting. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Honestly i would think this account will be run by multiple people, not just Mike, in this day and age a social media marketing person should be making sure this account stays hot and fresh with posts all the time.

oh absolutely it will be 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Between2Halls said:

Basically the same for me. 

mostly i am beige to it.  Really want to see how he recruits.  What kind of development he gets out of those who stay and what product we put on the floor.  I don't care if he played for Bob Knight.  I don't care he was part of the 75 team.  I don't care that he has coaches in the NBA.  I care that he can win games.  Winning will make everyone happy.  Period.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

mostly i am beige to it.  Really want to see how he recruits.  What kind of development he gets out of those who stay and what product we put on the floor.  I don't care if he played for Bob Knight.  I don't care he was part of the 75 team.  I don't care that he has coaches in the NBA.  I care that he can win games.  Winning will make everyone happy.  Period.

Yea plenty of questions to be answered. I’m not ecstatic, but I am hopeful. What we have been doing has not really worked at all, so this could be just what is needed. As with anything time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He wasn't. 

You don't care that he coaches in the NBA? Good luck recruiting in current landscape of CBB. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3