Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Jay Williams said this morning that recruiting won't be a problem as WWW would be a huge help.  Not sure how I feel about that.

I don’t know what might have happened in the past but Jay Williams likes taking shots at IU. Even when Crean had good teams Williams had a way of making some jabs.

I hope I’m correct in my assumption that WWW doesn’t get within 20 area codes of Bloomington. Would be a really bad look.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He wasn't. 

You don't care that he coaches in the NBA? absolutely absurd statement. 

Sorry i thought he was on the 76 team, so started the 75 year.  Regardless, i don't care when he played for IU.

And honestly i don't care that he coached in the NBA.  We're not an NBA team with NBA talent or resources or time, etc, etc, etc.  Just my opinion.   

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Man, there's a lot of gatekeeping with respect to how to be an IU fan. If you don't like the hire, you're a hater, or should be kicked off the board. Nice. Anyone got a copy of the rule book for what is allowed?

Forgive me for going on my mini rant, but I think you have a good point.

It seems to me the past several months there have been a lot of "groupthink" on this board and an awful lot of calling out other posters for simply expressing an opinion in a respectful way. There seems to be a few posters who think they are the authority for whether or not someone is a "true fan" or not depending on their opinions. It seems to go way over the top. I'm not pointing any fingers or calling anyone out but I think it is pretty obvious who some of these individuals are. I know a couple posters were constantly challenged (in an over the top manner) because they believed Archie deserved another season despite them stating their position in a respectful manner. There are for sure a few people on here who are generally extremely negative in general, and I can understand why that gets annoying as well, but I think most that have expressed displeasure with the hire or for firing CAM have done so thoughtfully and respectfully and maybe some ought to be more open minded about different points of view. If everyone shared the same opinion it would be a pretty boring board. Everyone wants the same thing...for IU to be back on top, but not everyone agrees on how to achieve that.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 9

Regarding the belief that Juwan Howard is an outlier (mainly pushed by Goodman), I was trying to think of coaches who left the NBA for college. Most, it seems had an unsuccessful stint in the NBA (mostly as assistants) and tried their luck in college. 

Juwan Howard - only an assistant in the NBA 
Penny Hardaway - coached 2 years in high school
Patrick Ewing - only an assistant in the NBA 
Chris Mullin - no coaching experience
Pitino? Cal? - tried and failed as NBA head coaches (but were college coaches first). 

Other than Avery Johnson, I can't think of an apt comparison to Woody in terms of NBA head coaching experience and success. If we're trying to predict success based on other's history, I'm not sure we're going to find anything of substance. I wonder if Goodman thought about that? 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is where you are always wrong Scott.  You assume because people didn't like the hire or have something other than 100% positivity that they are not behind the program or that the fanbase is fractured.  The program is bigger and will last longer than any one hire.  I can love IU basketball and hate the administration, the coach and the current roster of players (not that i do, just an example).  That doesn't change my love for the program.  Coaches will come and go.  Players will come and go.  IU basketball will be there when they are dead and gone.  I don't have to love the hire.  I don't have to put on a smile and rah rah rah.  I can say this hire sucks.  I don't think it will work.  And we'll be back here in 4 years.  But game night, i will root for IU to win and for us to hang another banner.  I love being proven wrong.  But i don't need you or any other mouth breather telling me i am bad fan because i don't subscribe to your version of fandom.  so STFU and move on if someone doesn't agree with you

See where I disagree is that by no supporting the hire or administration is not fully supporting the program.  To me when fans goes out ripping the hire is not good for the program.  I think this is one of the reasons you don't see coaches clamoring for this job.

Lists of things I fans want/don't want in a coach

IU guy

Winner

Xs and Os guy

Will lock down the state in recruiting

Has connections to IN HS coaches

Values education

Not a mid major coach

Assemble an excellent staff

will relate to the old school IU teams 

"new" style of offense

..... Mike Woodson has the potential to check everyone of these boxes. 

• Like 5

IU guy

Winner

Xs and Os guy

Values education

Not a mid major coach

"new" style of offense

Agree, although I would add one additional item vital to success

-Refers to himself in third person.

Edited by JABBATHEHOOSIER
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sorry i thought he was on the 76 team, so started the 75 year.  Regardless, i don't care when he played for IU.

And honestly i don't care that he coached in the NBA.  We're not an NBA team with NBA talent or resources or time, etc, etc, etc.  Just my opinion.   

Oh we have NBA resources. And thankfully we are going to look more and more like an NBA in a our make up and the way we play. Just crazy to not care that he coached at by far the highest level on basketball possible. Their skill/physical development is 2nd to none. 

• Like 2

Oh we have NBA resources. And thankfully we are going to look more and more like an NBA in a our make up and the way we play. Just crazy to not care that he coached at by far the highest level on basketball possible. Their skill/physical development is 2nd to none. 

I hope you are right in what you say

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

mostly i am beige to it.  Really want to see how he recruits.  What kind of development he gets out of those who stay and what product we put on the floor.  I don't care if he played for Bob Knight.  I don't care he was part of the 75 team.  I don't care that he has coaches in the NBA.  I care that he can win games.  Winning will make everyone happy.  Period.

He wasn't part of the 75 team

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Regarding the belief that Juwan Howard is an outlier (mainly pushed by Goodman), I was trying to think of coaches who left the NBA for college. Most, it seems had an unsuccessful stint in the NBA (mostly as assistants) and tried their luck in college. 

Juwan Howard - only an assistant in the NBA 
Penny Hardaway - coached 2 years in high school
Patrick Ewing - only an assistant in the NBA 
Chris Mullin - no coaching experience
Pitino? Cal? - tried and failed as NBA head coaches (but were college coaches first). 

Other than Avery Johnson, I can't think of an apt comparison to Woody in terms of NBA head coaching experience and success. If we're trying to predict success based on other's history, I'm not sure we're going to find anything of substance. I wonder if Goodman thought about that? 

How about Fred Hoiberg at Iowa St

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

IU guy

Winner

Xs and Os guy

Values education

Not a mid major coach

"new" style of offense

While I didn't like the hire and still lukewarm about it, hopefully he checks all these boxes and gets us back to winning.

It would be the first time I am happy about being wrong lol.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Sure will because I see that is how the game is going today.  Don't get me wrong I love the 3 point shot because that is all I could do on the court at a high level.  I just don't like relying on it solely but we have to be a lot better at shooting the 3.

Agree.  Look what happened to Syracuse when Buddy was harrassed and missed tons of shots.  

21 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I don’t know what might have happened in the past but Jay Williams likes taking shots at IU. Even when Crean had good teams Williams had a way of making some jabs.

I hope I’m correct in my assumption that WWW doesn’t get within 20 area codes of Bloomington. Would be a really bad look.

Nah.  This is his wife. 

BonacorsiNmug070172.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I think it is an act and a little family rivalry 

• Like 2

I don't understand the whole "I have to see results" crowd. The most obvious aspect of this whole thing is that he has to win... and sooner, rather than later. None of that is ground breaking stuff. But some of you are already halfway out the door. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

We've all endured the last 20 years together. It costs no more to have a positive outlook. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

See where I disagree is that by no supporting the hire or administration is not fully supporting the program.  To me when fans goes out ripping the hire is not good for the program.  I think this is one of the reasons you don't see coaches clamoring for this job.

Yeah, in your opinion.  Not a professional opinion.  Not an informed opinion backed up by data, examples or facts.  An opinion you continually use to degrade and put other posters on blast because they don't immediately jump on the IU Scott train of thinking.  It took you less than 12 hours from the moment the coach was announced to you telling posters they were bad fans and should back to Peegs.  

You can have your opinion and sometimes i even agree with what you say.  But telling someone how to be a fan or support the program is not one of them 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand the whole "I have to see results" crowd. The most obvious aspect of this whole thing is that he has to win... and sooner, rather than later. None of that is ground breaking stuff. But some of you are already halfway out the door. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

We've all endured the last 20 years together. It costs no more to have a positive outlook. 

Some are just disappointed by the hire. Obviously It could be a good hire or could be a bad hire only time will tell. The news just broke yesterday...I don't think many are halfway out the door, but maybe give people a few days to process it and most will be backing the new coach whether or not they originally like the hire.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

So you dont like the hire but you want IU to cheat to win. Welcome to being the first person i put on ignore, because what you could say from here is meaningless. GOOD BYE

Wonderful, another fan with a binary, archaic way of looking at things.

No one is talking about dropping unmarked bags of cash off on a recruit's doorstep, or having someone take a college entrance exam for a recruit.

I'm referring to finding ways to operate in a way that isn't outright cheating, but in an area the NCAA clearly doesn't care to police or even monitor.

You know, what probably 90% of Power 5 schools are doing.

Before you knock it and act all holier than thou, I can all but guarantee Mike Woodson wants to operate in this gray area too.

48 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Williams is married to an IU grad whose parents both went to IU as well as his wife's brother. Like he has also said his college career ended at the hands of IU.i did not think what he said waa a.shot. maybe it was but I did not take it that way