Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

39 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I honestly wonder if he wants to be an AD down the road. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him take over at Butler once Collier retires. 

Worked for Alvarez. Definitely could see Matta being in a role like this down the road. Dude has been around forever and he's only 53.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the only guy that was going to get big money out of IU was Brad Stevens...

Beard, Musselman et al were not going to get 7-8 million per year from us, and rightfully so...

And I think the whole point of this was to circle back to Bob Knight...I know there were hurt feelings and ruffled feathers on both sides for years, but lets face facts...Without Bob Knight IU is a nowhere job...We could have screamed about our 2 banners under McCracken til we were blue in the face, but Oklahoma State has 2 as well (when the were Oklahoma A&M with the great Bob Kurland and coached by one of RMK's mentors, Henry Iba)...That's what we would have been without Bob Knight...A program that had success in the early days, but just one of the crowd now...

Mike Woodson is that bridge back that was burned long ago to our glorious past...Dolson did swing for the fences with Stevens, but once he found out that wasn't going anywhere, he wanted to start restoring the IU family by linking us back to the man that is the most important person in IU's basketball history...

And I'm glad he did that...

I appreciate this response. Really do. And it’s fitting ironically that someone I’ve butted heads with on the board I’m now finding some common ground with.

Otherwise I’m outta here for awhile. I have enough millennials telling me how I’m supposed to feel, think and see things I don’t need it on a programs message board I love.

Everyone processes thru things and need to. Me just screaming “I LOVE THIS HIRE” isn’t going to change the fact that I do NOT. The worse deflating hire I’ve EVER experienced for any team I’ve followed in my LIFE.

I hope to God this works out. I actually REALLY DO. He seems like a legit nice guy. I felt the same of Archie. I still like Archie.

I knew Crean would fail. I thought Archie would do well. So obviously I can’t trust my emotions. 😂 

But neither can some of you who think this hire is a “home run” or at least some really great path for IU Hoops.

I’ll keep trying to slam back the KoolAid and hope it sticks sooner rather than later so something positive can come from Indiana Basketball.

Just long for the day this program I love gives more than it takes from us fans.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone. 🇺🇸

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich likes the hire. But I turned him on and he was mocking the role of Matta.  He made fun of the notion that he grew up a fan of IU because Dan actually busted his butt for IU.  Then Dan ridiculed Matta’s role as making sure the travel was ok.  

Dan is smarter than that.  Matta is a pro. He knows the recruiting landscape and how to succeed at it in Indiana (Oden, Conley, Thomas), Ohio etc.  He has contacts for staff.   He knows the conference.  Also, he might not be on the bench, but presumably he’s another set of eyes.  He will be able to tell Woody what he saw as a top coach the next day or whatever.  I think Matta is a huge asset. Hopefully he keeps his ego in check and the relationship with Woody goes really well.

That's bitterness because you know he would love to be in that very role Matta is now occupying. Plain and simple.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand the whole "I have to see results" crowd. The most obvious aspect of this whole thing is that he has to win... and sooner, rather than later. None of that is ground breaking stuff. But some of you are already halfway out the door. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

We've all endured the last 20 years together. It costs no more to have a positive outlook. 

I think so many are just jaded due to the results since the mid-90s, some self-inflicted and some bad luck. How many times can you ask people to touch the hot stove before they are hesitant to buy into what's being sold? This isn't unique to the IU fan base, it's true for the fans of all sports franchises that underachieve and have experienced coaching turnover. The honeymoon period gets shorter each time and fans won't get emotionally invested until they start to see results.

I like Mike Woodson. I hope he rebuilds the program and has it in great shape when he's ready to hand it over to a successor. But it's a huge leap of faith for the University and it's fan base.

I would feel better if I'd had more confidence in Dolson. I believe that either Kraft or Reynolds would have been the better hire, based on their greater experience. I honestly believe either could have been hired and Dolson would have probably stayed in his prior role, if that's what they wanted.

Dolson is a new, inexperienced AD, who was making his first coaching search/hire. I'm convinced he was played by Stevens' camp and was left without a solid Plan B. He may have salvaged the situation (UCLA got lucky with Cronin and Wisky got lucky with Bo Ryan), but no one can reasonably look at this as offering long-term stability to a program that badly needs it.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the only guy that was going to get big money out of IU was Brad Stevens...

Beard, Musselman et al were not going to get 7-8 million per year from us, and rightfully so...

And I think the whole point of this was to circle back to Bob Knight...I know there were hurt feelings and ruffled feathers on both sides for years, but lets face facts...Without Bob Knight IU is a nowhere job...We could have screamed about our 2 banners under McCracken til we were blue in the face, but Oklahoma State has 2 as well (when the were Oklahoma A&M with the great Bob Kurland and coached by one of RMK's mentors, Henry Iba)...That's what we would have been without Bob Knight...A program that had success in the early days, but just one of the crowd now...

Mike Woodson is that bridge back that was burned long ago to our glorious past...Dolson did swing for the fences with Stevens, but once he found out that wasn't going anywhere, he wanted to start restoring the IU family by linking us back to the man that is the most important person in IU's basketball history...

And I'm glad he did that...

I had a feeling this is how it would turn out after Steven's said no. Did not see iu paying the money for the other guys. And why would they leave when they are having success at their current jobs. 

I'm just anxious to see the team and staff he puts together. And how could you not have a little optimism having a 2000+ career scorer on the bench of one of the worst shooting teams I've ever seen. Improving that alone will win more games. I think the defensive foundation is mostly set if enough current players come back. 

• Like 1

Listening to Dakich, and while I enjoyed the conversation with Woody, why does Dakich have to take shots at the kids' "Mommies" and Jared Jeffries?

And while I know coach Knight didn't have the best relationship with the press, Dakich wants to fan those flames too for some reason...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Listening to Dakich, and while I enjoyed the conversation with Woody, why does Dakich have to take shots at the kids' "Mommies" and Jared Jeffries?

And while I know coach Knight didn't have the best relationship with the press, Dakich wants to fan those flames too for some reason...

Any highlights to his conversation with Woody? I refuse to listen to Dakich for those very reasons....I'm not giving that man a click. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Peanuts?
According to this link his contract would have made him the 18th highest coach in the country this year and the 4th highest in the Big Ten. At 3.667 a year he is close to Bill Self, Bennett and Huggins money without having coached a single college game. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

That's what I was thinking.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just turned it on too. I just heard  Dakich say that he heard last night that Buckner has a real problem with Alford and that’s why Alford never gets traction for the job.  But Dakich loves the Woodson hire.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Any highlights to his conversation with Woody? I refuse to listen to Dakich for those very reasons....I'm not giving that man a click. 

Nothing really noteworthy...Woodson did say the transfer stuff is a 2 way street, and evaluations will be made...

I see what you mean about Dakich though...The very guys he runs down (national sportswriters) for putting out click bait articles, he does with his mouth...And running down good kids like Anthony Leal simply because Anthony sent a tweet encouraged by the hire is being a jackass...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What IU has needed for years is to build a consistent solid foundation, 20+ win seasons and tournament annually. Start there and build it up. 

The more I think about it I  think Woodsen can do that and prepare the program for what comes after. Just need the roller coaster to end. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Talked about having a strong defense and five guys rebounding.  Will get you wins.  

He’s going to have individual meetings with players today.  Will start on the staff tomorrow.  Transfer portal goes both ways.  Said something like “for the guys we want to keep.”

Mentioned Trayce.  Wants to keep him.  Thinks he can help him a lot and that Trayce will be important next year.  He mentioned that Trayce averaged 20 which is really hard to do in the B1G.

Dan mentioned Knight wasn’t a huge fan of transfers.  Woody said times have changed.  Sounded like he will look at the portal strongly. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nothing really noteworthy...Woodson did say the transfer stuff is a 2 way street, and evaluations will be made...

I see what you mean about Dakich though...The very guys he runs down (national sportswriters) for putting out click bait articles, he does with his mouth...And running down good kids like Anthony Leal simply because Anthony sent a tweet encouraged by the hire is being a jackass...

Why did he have a problem with Leal's tweet? Just curious. 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I just turned it on too. I just heard  Dakich say that he heard last night that Buckner has a real problem with Alford and that’s why Alford never gets traction for the job.  But Dakich loves the Woodson hire.  

I had to stop listening...He's just so over the top...

It does our coach an our program no good to alienate people, no matter who they are, right from the get go...

Woody didn't fall for any of it...I'm not saying he'll be a media darling, but he's smart enough to know how it works...

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

I had to stop listening...He's just so over the top...

It does our coach an our program no good to alienate people, no matter who they are, right from the get go...

Woody didn't fall for any of it...I'm not saying he'll be a media darling, but he's smart enough to know how it works...

Great points.  Woody dealt with the NYC media lol.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

Why did he have a problem with Leal's tweet? Just curious. 

He didn't really say, but I think he's just going back to what Bob Knight did here, and the way he treated players and was saying "Yeah, kid, no more Romper Room at IU. Woody will lay down the law."

And I do think Woody will hold people accountable, which is a good thing...But he won't be like coach Knight was...Not in today's atmosphere...That's just plain career suicide...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I dont see a tweet from leal?

Might have been on some other media platform, but apparently Anthony put something out endorsing the hire...And since he's not in Dakich's fantasy Bob Knight fraternity Dakich took a shot at him, basically saying he doesn't have any idea what he's in for, and to be careful what you wish for...

I wish I would have stopped listening after the Woodson interview, because now I'm pissed...Or maybe the meds just kicked in... ;) 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich likes the hire. But I turned him on and he was mocking the role of Matta.  He made fun of the notion that he grew up a fan of IU because Dan actually busted his butt for IU.  Then Dan ridiculed Matta’s role as making sure the travel was ok.  

Dan is smarter than that.  Matta is a pro. He knows the recruiting landscape and how to succeed at it in Indiana (Oden, Conley, Thomas), Ohio etc.  He has contacts for staff.   He knows the conference.  Also, he might not be on the bench, but presumably he’s another set of eyes.  He will be able to tell Woody what he saw as a top coach the next day or whatever.  I think Matta is a huge asset. Hopefully he keeps his ego in check and the relationship with Woody goes really well.

Dakich has been calling for a former Knight player to be coach forever. I take it that he feels it's a slap in the face to Woodson that he needs a guardrail or training wheels or however someone put it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He agrees with the hire and can’t wait to play under him and I’m pretty his Parents love the hire very much 

Yeah, and that's what spurred Dakich's "Mommies" rant...Totally unnecessary to degrade a kid or his parents like that...

• Like 3