Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

41 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What IU has needed for years is to build a consistent solid foundation, 20+ win seasons and tournament annually. Start there and build it up. 

The more I think about it I  think Woodsen can do that and prepare the program for what comes after. Just need the roller coaster to end. 

To me build up the program is like building a house.  The first thing you need is a solid foundation and to the basketball program that is the former players.  If you just put your house on a cement slab or have a trailer on nothing that house will get knocked over when a huge wind comes up.  With a solid foundation that house can take a huge storm and still come trough that storm.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me build up the program is like building a house.  The first thing you need is a solid foundation and to the basketball program that is the former players.  If you just put your house on a cement slab or have a trailer on nothing that house will get knocked over when a huge wind comes up.  With a solid foundation that house can't take a huge storm and still come trough that storm.

We've had the foundation, but the house was burned to the ground in 2000...We've tried to piece it back together with spit, duct tape, and bailing wire ever since...

46 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I just turned it on too. I just heard  Dakich say that he heard last night that Buckner has a real problem with Alford and that’s why Alford never gets traction for the job.  But Dakich loves the Woodson hire.  

I honestly think that's a little family jealousy showing through...

Buckner was always Knight's favorite, and everybody knew it...IU has not had a leader like QB before or since...

But Alford came awfully close...

Of course, it could be that like many people who post here say, and Steve has turned into a major league a-hole...I wouldn't know...Last time I talked to him he was like 8 years old, and he was ok then ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I honestly think that's a little family jealousy showing through...

Buckner was always Knight's favorite, and everybody knew it...IU has not had a leader like QB before or since...

But Alford came awfully close...

Of course, it could be that like many people who post here say, and Steve has turned into a major league a-hole...I wouldn't know...Last time I talked to him he was like 8 years old, and he was ok then ;) 

Steve was considered a major league a-hole here in Iowa.  They felt he acted like he should be treated special because of who he was.  And this was being said while he was a coach.  After he left, good god how they rail on him.  They hate him with a passion.  If I want to get my Iowa friends going I just have to bring up Steve Alford.  You'd think I kicked their puppy or punched their baby.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me build up the program is like building a house.  The first thing you need is a solid foundation and to the basketball program that is the former players.  If you just put your house on a cement slab or have a trailer on nothing that house will get knocked over when a huge wind comes up.  With a solid foundation that house can take a huge storm and still come trough that storm.

Captain Obvious (@CaptainObvious) | Twitter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Steve was considered a major league a-hole here in Iowa.  They felt he acted like he should be treated special because of who he was.  And this was being said while he was a coach.  After he left, good god how they rail on him.  They hate him with a passion.  If I want to get my Iowa friends going I just have to bring up Steve Alford.  You'd think I kicked their puppy or punched their baby.

My kids will be able to take it.. dont touch my dog though. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I liked that he fit disciplinarian in there lol.

By the way, I’m sure everyone knows but Woodson was an absolute all time favorite of Knight’s.  He spoke of him in extra glowing terms.  Great college player but also had that back injury, fought through it, and was an amazing team guy.  That 1980 team was really good.  Turner hadn’t erupted yet but it was a stacked team.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Oh, I know...Like I said, I lived across the street from a fanatical Hawkeye when I was up in Chicagoland...

But I knew the family long ago, and I'd never say a bad word against his father, Sam...One of the finest men I've ever known...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I know...Like I said, I lived across the street from a fanatical Hawkeye when I was up in Chicagoland...

But I knew the family long ago, and I'd never say a bad word against his father, Sam...One of the finest men I've ever known...

Yeah he just wasn't a good for for rural farmland Iowa.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not an affront to the shorter guys out there but am I the only one thinking a 6'5" guy will be able to get the attention better than a sub 6 footer? 

Perception does matter at times. 

That’s an interesting sociological or psychological discussion.  In my opinion, after decades of working and being involved in meetings etc, it boils down to “presence.”   I agree that tall people sometimes can have that.  But there are smaller guys that also exude that presence.  By the same token, there are tons of tall guys that are goofy and awkward.  You can look at the Pitinos and Williams and Dean Smiths or who were all commanding.  They weren’t tall.  On the other hand, Knight is tall and it helped give him is aura.  

It is an interesting topic for sure.  I would say that Woodson does have a good presence and that’s what helps IMO.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s an interesting sociological or psychological discussion.  In my opinion, after decades of working and being involved in meetings etc, it boils down to “presence.”   I agree that tall people sometimes can have that.  But there are smaller guys that also exude that presence.  By the same token, there are tons of tall guys that are goofy and awkward.  You can look at the Pitinos and Williams and Dean Smiths or who were all commanding.  They weren’t tall.  On the other hand, Knight is tall and it helped give him is aura.  

It is an interesting topic for sure.  I would say that Woodson does have a good presence and that’s what helps IMO.  

Went back to edit but deleted by accident.

Wanted to add that part of my thinking was in retrospect Archie's seemingly complete lack of personality.  He could be firey at times on the sideline, who knows about the lockeroom. But seemed more like an introvert.  

Woodsen looks like the opposite to me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Forgive me for going on my mini rant, but I think you have a good point.

It seems to me the past several months there have been a lot of "groupthink" on this board and an awful lot of calling out other posters for simply expressing an opinion in a respectful way. There seems to be a few posters who think they are the authority for whether or not someone is a "true fan" or not depending on their opinions. It seems to go way over the top. I'm not pointing any fingers or calling anyone out but I think it is pretty obvious who some of these individuals are. I know a couple posters were constantly challenged (in an over the top manner) because they believed Archie deserved another season despite them stating their position in a respectful manner. There are for sure a few people on here who are generally extremely negative in general, and I can understand why that gets annoying as well, but I think most that have expressed displeasure with the hire or for firing CAM have done so thoughtfully and respectfully and maybe some ought to be more open minded about different points of view. If everyone shared the same opinion it would be a pretty boring board. Everyone wants the same thing...for IU to be back on top, but not everyone agrees on how to achieve that.

Sorry for the rant.

well, this is about the best post i've read in a long long time.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

See where I disagree is that by no supporting the hire or administration is not fully supporting the program.  To me when fans goes out ripping the hire is not good for the program.  I think this is one of the reasons you don't see coaches clamoring for this job.

so because we are fans, we should just agree with everything that our program does and support everyone no matter what the results are and never question anything?  what about when you turned on Archie after arguing with me non stop bout how i should support him?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I am all ears right now but someone in favor of this hire help me grasp something...

If this was Dolson’s guy...or even let’s say he was Dolson’s 3rd or 4th but he was high enough that it wasn’t even worth looking at proven coaches still in the tourney he could’ve interviewed and offers big money to which wouldn’t be a gamble at all...if Dolson believes “This IS our man who’s gonna do it...”

Why is he worth a measly 6 years 22million?

To me with him not being on anyone’s radar besides many people saying “NO WAY” it’s hard not to take this as “We just went with our boy for a bargain price...that’ll do the job if not oh well.”

I’d actually have felt a bit better if they had over paid him even just to show “this is how confident we are that we have OUR man.” Because that’s what’s being sold...no most programs wouldn’t hire him but he’s perfect for IU...”

Well if he’s so good for us why is he worth peanuts?

i'm trying not to keep posting negatives right now, but how about if he's the right guy, why does he need Matta?  or the question of would any other high profile program have considered him for their coaching vacancy?  but just because he's an IU guy, he is the right hire?

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so because we are fans, we should just agree with everything that our program does and support everyone no matter what the results are and never question anything?  what about when you turned on Archie after arguing with me non stop bout how i should support him?

Great post.  I agree completely.  All views that follow rules should be welcomed.   It’s like when Scott goes off on one of his unpopular tangents about the 1984 finals, no one tries to censor him although he faces a bloodbath.  They should all be welcomed IMO.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Max said:

This is a home run whether you like it or not. If you don’t now, you will soon enough and I’m excited for you to see it. I can only think of a few coaches in college basketball who command the type of respect as a coach in terms of ability/developer/mentor, experience and accomplishments at high levels(Roy, K, self, Calipari). I probably missed some but you get it. I think it’s special and having Matta only adds to this. I couldn’t be happier to support a guy like this who wants IU to succeed as much as anyone out there. “Indiana is the best place to play basketball”. 

wow i hope you're right!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see what being negative helps in any way where getting behind the coach and the program  can only help

dang Scott!  this is the same stuff you were saying when people turned on Archie, then you became the most vocal against him of everyone!  we are members of a message board.  we are not going to be able to help the IU bball program regardless of whether we are positive or negative.  Mike Woodson is gonna have to do that without our help.  

• Like 3

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm trying not to keep posting negatives right now, but how about if he's the right guy, why does he need Matta?  or the question of would any other high profile program have considered him for their coaching vacancy?  but just because he's an IU guy, he is the right hire?

I’ll take a run at some possible answers for you. One of his negatives is a lack of experience at the college level (which likely kept other schools from considering him), so you hire Matta to help cover for that area (if it ends up being needed). It wasn’t high on my list of boxes to check, but i do see the value of it being an IU guy, too. 

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

No its not.  I live outside of Indiana where there are Badger, Hawkeye, Gopher, and Nebraska fans.  None of them think we're a bad fanbase.  They used to envy us.  They wished to have what we have. Now they feel sorry for us.  Feel like we haven't had good luck with coaches or players.  But they aren't saying we're a bad fanbase.  

You should get a cape and some tights and become Super IU Scott.  You can banish bad fans in a single post.  "Off to the Peegs with you heathen".   Stand at the top of your High Horse and look down upon us lowly, terrible fans who just don't see the error of our stupid ways.

Greatest American Hero.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think your skepticism is okay.  I guess my response would be ... Why not Matta. Why not surround yourself with the best possible/willing people to help out. Being the right guy is not synonymous with not needing help.

Would Juwan been thought about for any other program outside of Michigan? Penny for Memphis? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2