Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Is anyone at all concerned about Mike's close friendship with World Wide Wes and the talk that Wes can get IU into a lot of doors? or are you ok with it? myself i'm ok with it.

It bothers me.  Not going to lie.  I presumed the worst when WWW was hanging around the UK problem.  So, either I was wrong about that situation, or I would by hypocritical to ignore it just because it is IU.  That said, I trust Woodson to keep it clean a million times more than I trust Calipari.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It bothers me.  Not going to lie.  I presumed the worst when WWW was hanging around the UK problem.  So, either I was wrong about that situation, or I would by hypocritical to ignore it just because it is IU.  That said, I trust Woodson to keep it clean a million times more than I trust Calipari.  

This is the video I was talking about where Jay brings him up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s an interesting sociological or psychological discussion.  In my opinion, after decades of working and being involved in meetings etc, it boils down to “presence.”   I agree that tall people sometimes can have that.  But there are smaller guys that also exude that presence.  By the same token, there are tons of tall guys that are goofy and awkward.  You can look at the Pitinos and Williams and Dean Smiths or who were all commanding.  They weren’t tall.  On the other hand, Knight is tall and it helped give him is aura.  

It is an interesting topic for sure.  I would say that Woodson does have a good presence and that’s what helps IMO.  

I had same thoughts.  Arch looked especially little in the middle of that huddle IMO.  Players looking right past /over him, it appeared, and he wasnt commanding their attention. CMW will not have that challenge to deal with.   

• Like 4

I keep reading and watching videos of all these NBA players giving such glowing praise about CMW. That has got to resonate well with recruits and their parents. Knowing he has been so successful and well liked with NBA players has to show that he knows what he is doing and can teach these high school kids how they can get to and be successful in the NBA. 

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

On PTI, both Wilbon and Kornheiser LOVED the hire.  It’s good to have the mainstream guys say positive things.  Better to have positive buzz.  

They did, but them saying anything positive about the hire and Coach Knight, which they did, is hypocritical after the hatchet job they, along with every other media person, did on RMK in 2000...

I have a long memory...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They did, but them saying anything positive about the hire and Coach Knight, which they did, is hypocritical after the hatchet job they, along with every other media person, did on RMK in 2000...

I have a long memory...

Knight deserved some criticism in 2000.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s an interesting sociological or psychological discussion.  In my opinion, after decades of working and being involved in meetings etc, it boils down to “presence.”   I agree that tall people sometimes can have that.  But there are smaller guys that also exude that presence.  By the same token, there are tons of tall guys that are goofy and awkward.  You can look at the Pitinos and Williams and Dean Smiths or who were all commanding.  They weren’t tall.  On the other hand, Knight is tall and it helped give him is aura.  

It is an interesting topic for sure.  I would say that Woodson does have a good presence and that’s what helps IMO.  

Good point. That's something I never thought of. It had to be difficult for our players to get reamed out by someone who's shorter and looks as young as they do...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Knight deserved some criticism in 2000.  

Some yes...But it was over the top in my opinion...And to gloss it over now, is indeed hypocritical...

I've always thought it was sportswriters revenge...

The pen IS mightier than the sword...

• Like 3

Normally I choose to just keep the negative to myself but I’m getting private messages so I’m just going to respond here one time.

I’m going to be completely honest and then offer no more input on this thread so I don’t completely rain on the party.

Exactly why I did not want Scott Dolson to replace Glass has come to fruition. I absolutely hate this hire. Not Woodson as a person, just the whole idea of what they think they can do with all this nostalgic, antique, senior citizen staff. 

Even my 73 year old uncle , an alum and IU die hard, holding tickets to both Football and Basketball agrees that this was likely the second foot in the grave for the program if this happens to fail. He is pissed.  Me, I just care a whole lot less.

Thats a bit of my thoughts. I’m less interested in what they do now than when Miller was hired.

Thats all I have for now. I will revisit these thoughts at some point.

• Like 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Is anyone at all concerned about Mike's close friendship with World Wide Wes and the talk that Wes can get IU into a lot of doors? or are you ok with it? myself i'm ok with it.

This I have to admit I love, I’ve heard about Wes for 20 years, he shuttled players to UK forever until last handful of years, I’d love to have a few top 5 types at IU!!

• Like 2

I was lukewarm at first, the more I thought about it and heard so many endorsements (I know this is iffy) I’ve really came around to loving the hire. Let’s face the facts, he bleeds cream and crimson, has 30+ years of NBA experience as player and coach. People who are looking at his win percentage should look a little closer and see that his teams absolutely improved, he took some gutter teams and won. Not worried about x’ and o’s, he’s gotta get people around him that can help navigate the NCAA and recruiting and I believe we will all be pleased. Big thumbs up 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BDB said:

Confused.  I thought you were against the nba coaches in the college game and that JH would be a failure.

You've mistaken me for someone else.  My position has been pretty consistent on Juwan.  (1) Numerous former NBA PLAYERS (not coaches) have flopped in attempting to coach in college, (2)The jury was out on Juwan until his body of work was big enough to judge, and (3) I have since stated that he has outperformed my expectations., (4) Penny Hardaway and Patrick Ewing have not.

I've made no such statements about NBA head coaches...really haven't looked at that angle.

45 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Normally I choose to just keep the negative to myself but I’m getting private messages so I’m just going to respond here one time.

I’m going to be completely honest and then offer no more input on this thread so I don’t completely rain on the party.

Exactly why I did not want Scott Dolson to replace Glass has come to fruition. I absolutely hate this hire. Not Woodson as a person, just the whole idea of what they think they can do with all this nostalgic, antique, senior citizen staff

Even my 73 year old uncle , an alum and IU die hard, holding tickets to both Football and Basketball agrees that this was likely the second foot in the grave for the program if this happens to fail. He is pissed.  Me, I just care a whole lot less.

Thats a bit of my thoughts. I’m less interested in what they do now than when Miller was hired.

Thats all I have for now. I will revisit these thoughts at some point.

I would love to hear your reasons why. CMW is 63, but by all accounts is fairly progressive and forward thinking in his approach. No one is concerned with Matta's age, and at this point in time, Brown is merely being discussed as a possibility.

Outside of blatantly turning one's back to the banners, no coach will be able to deny the history and tradition that naturally (and deservedly!) looms large. I think it's a bit premature to say CMW is bringing in an "antique" product.

But again, those are my counters... would love to hear your reasoning for hating this hire.

The sentiment that "kids won't/don't know who CMW is" is so silly. Anybody worthy of getting a scholarship offer to Indiana University presumably A) knows how to use a little thing called 'Google' and B) probably has a coach/mentor who does know who Mike Woodson is and can pass along pertinent information.

Sheesh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With this hire and now word that Archie Miller didn't really want the job and had to be talked into it, you have to think that no serious candidate wants to work for this university.

Insert Clint Eastwood disgusted gif, and that's coaches reaction to IU basketball.

Edited by Sea Turtle