Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

16 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

With this hire and now word that Archie Miller didn't really want the job and had to be talked into it, you have to think that no serious candidate wants to work for this university.

Insert Clint Eastwood disgusted gif, and that's coaches reaction to IU basketball.

I doubt it had to do with the University as much as the fishbowl that is IU basketball.  Also coaches today can win and make big money anywhere so what is the insensitive to keep moving their families

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Apparently Coach Woodson is already reading this forum...

Sweet.  

Coach,

Go check out the transfer portal.  And also, while you are at it, would you please bring on 2 or 3 of the top juco guys?

Thanks,

Love the hire(think you are about to kill it and not play games)

Notithatlives

P.S. Also, take advice from my guy @BGleas, in fact hire him. He has celtics marketing skills with Hoosier blood and passion.  

Let me know if you seek any other advice on how to run the program.  

The @BGleas advice is legit though, you should listen, seriously.

#cmw #coachmike #coachmikewoodson

#lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Underestimate Mike Woodson at your own peril.  This combo is better than Brad.  There. I said it.  Woody is better at developing talent and just as good as Brad at x and o.  AND he was an all-american player.  Where y'at Brad?  Oh right 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

Is anyone at all concerned about Mike's close friendship with World Wide Wes and the talk that Wes can get IU into a lot of doors? or are you ok with it? myself i'm ok with it.

I approve of this message.  Have no issue with a person of influence pointing toward us as a destination for a recruit, but no payments or benefits, please.  

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

I approve of this message.  Have no issue with a person of influence pointing toward us as a destination for a recruit, but no payments or benefits, please.  

Wanna point out that though I also approve and have been talking about working the grey/edges, not condoning any cheating.

• Like 2

Personally, I have absolutely positively no problem with coach Woodson's personal relationship with Worldwide Wes. Coach has been working with this guy at NYK, and probably known him for a long time in NBA circle. It was said that Uncle Wes knows everybody and that's how he thrives by connecting people. I don't care if Wes asks some famous rappers to go check out Indiana men's basketball and shake hands with our players. I'd be happy if Wes advises real good high school players to consider playing for coach Woodson simply because coach Woodson is a really good coach. Now if Wes gives kids money to send kids to IU, that's a problem, but why would Wes do that for coach Woodson? Wes is not an IU alum. 

• Like 2

For @NCHoosier32 and anyone else that may be still hum ho.... I listened to the Assembly Call this morning. 

one of the guys basically mentioned that he didn’t like the hire. With Thad Matta changed his mind. Thad Matta is a terrific college coach. He wouldn’t have taken the position he took, is Thad didn’t believe that this would work. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

With this hire and now word that Archie Miller didn't really want the job and had to be talked into it, you have to think that no serious candidate wants to work for this university.

Insert Clint Eastwood disgusted gif, and that's coaches reaction to IU basketball.

I have read several posts lately saying Archie didn't really want the job.

Honest question...where did this come from? I never heard of anything like this until the last week. I'm not saying it's not true, but I am a little skeptical that he didn't want the position. I thought Cal told him that he can't turn down a position like IU if offered, but that is all I remember hearing over the years until recently.

• Like 3

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

Honest question...where did this come from? I never heard of anything like this until the last week. I'm not saying it's not true, but I am a little skeptical that he didn't want the position. I thought Cal told him that he can't turn down a position like IU if offered, but that is all I remember hearing over the years until recently.

Just more piling on, if you ask me...

If someone can produce a link to a solid source I might buy it...

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

IU basketball alums ‘giddy’ about hire of Mike Woodson

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-alums-giddy-about-hire-of-mike-woodson/

Hopefully they are still giddy in three or four years, since it sounds like this hire was done to appease most of them.

While I didn't like this hire, if we are in the middle of the next B1G season and go on a six or seven game winning streak it would be one of the happiest times I have ever admitted to being wrong.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

Okay, just for kicks, I am going to post all of the optimistic view that I acknowledge could make this great!  This is not sarcasm, and this is NOT how I see this playing out, but plausible?  Sure... Matta and Brown come in as great advisors and extremely well respected.  Woodson has crazy level of support from former players and many of those players will be visible and more involved.  All o the excited people are right that Woodson is an offensive genius and at the same time much better at player development than Archie and staff.  IN HS and AAU coaches embrace Woodson, Matta, and Brown.  We maybe get one more young former IU player to be an assistant.  WWW helps us get high level recruits.  Woodson may be fun to have out front and talking on talk shows, etc.  Trying to think of what I'm leaving out... other than... getting us off on the right foot by recruiting our returning players to stay.  I will say again that while I don't think it is an extremely talented group, if we have Lander, Franklin, Hunter, Thompson, TJD with Stewart, Brunk, Duncomb, RP, Leal, Geronimo, and Galloway, that group can win.  They will have to progress and also be used extremely well, but here's to hoping...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Who has said this? I saw Sea,Turtle mention it, but he was a way of dropping negative IU comments discreetly.....so I didn't think much of it.

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Who has said this? I saw Sea,Turtle mention it, but he was a way of dropping negative IU comments discreetly.....so I didn't think much of it.

I have read so many posts lately, I can't keep them straight. It might have even been on another board (BTB)...but I have seen it mentioned by others...I am just curious if I missed something.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Who has said this? I saw Sea,Turtle mention it, but he was a way of dropping negative IU comments discreetly.....so I didn't think much of it.

Yeah I haven't seen it anywhere other then him mentioning it, so I wouldn't put much faith in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Saw that too. It's so odd and doesn't make sense. The idea that CAM didn't want the job and was 'forced/pressured/[insert word]' to take it reeks of sour grapes and postmortem frustration.

5 year olds are forced to finish their vegetables. 40+ year old men are not forced to accept multimillion dollar jobs that many others covet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I heard it on one of the many podcasts I've listened to in the last 3 days....just can't remember which one. It was either Crimson Cast or Assembly Call. Who knows if there is any truth behind it. Maybe it's CAM's personality but it did kinda seem that way. 

• Like 1