Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Who has said this? I saw Sea,Turtle mention it, but he was a way of dropping negative IU comments discreetly.....so I didn't think much of it.

It was discussed on a different board...I can PM you a link...

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I heard it on one of the many podcasts I've listened to in the last 3 days....just can't remember which one. It was either Crimson Cast or Assembly Call. Who knows if there is any truth behind it. Maybe it's CAM's personality but it did kinda seem that way. 

Yes sir...that is what they said in the discussion (Bozich and his dad allegedly said it on Assembly Call)...I have spent too much time on boards lately and couldn't remember where I saw it. Thanks!

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Okay, just for kicks, I am going to post all of the optimistic view that I acknowledge could make this great!  This is not sarcasm, and this is NOT how I see this playing out, but plausible?  Sure... Matta and Brown come in as great advisors and extremely well respected.  Woodson has crazy level of support from former players and many of those players will be visible and more involved.  All o the excited people are right that Woodson is an offensive genius and at the same time much better at player development than Archie and staff.  IN HS and AAU coaches embrace Woodson, Matta, and Brown.  We maybe get one more young former IU player to be an assistant.  WWW helps us get high level recruits.  Woodson may be fun to have out front and talking on talk shows, etc.  Trying to think of what I'm leaving out... other than... getting us off on the right foot by recruiting our returning players to stay.  I will say again that while I don't think it is an extremely talented group, if we have Lander, Franklin, Hunter, Thompson, TJD with Stewart, Brunk, Duncomb, RP, Leal, Geronimo, and Galloway, that group can win.  They will have to progress and also be used extremely well, but here's to hoping...

The odds aren't very good that all 12 of those comeback. You find a solid PG, you find a stretch 4... that group can absolutely can finish top 5 in the B1G... if coached properly and developed properly. There is so much talent in the portal. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I heard it on one of the many podcasts I've listened to in the last 3 days....just can't remember which one. It was either Crimson Cast or Assembly Call. Who knows if there is any truth behind it. Maybe it's CAM's personality but it did kinda seem that way. 

Yep.  I saw it referenced yesterday and thought it might explain some things.  I don't know how much of a dream job it was for him - I'm sure he saw it as a great opportunity.  However, thete was always a certain lack of excitement/enthusiasm from Archie.  I don't remember ever seeing Mrs. Miller at games on TV.

It could have just been his low-key demeanor and/or the contrast to Crean.  IDK, but I definitely get a far greater sense of passion for the job from MW.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The sentiment that "kids won't/don't know who CMW is" is so silly. Anybody worthy of getting a scholarship offer to Indiana University presumably A) knows how to use a little thing called 'Google' and B) probably has a coach/mentor who does know who Mike Woodson is and can pass along pertinent information.

Sheesh.

Not saying kids do or don't know who Mike Woodson is...but if you have to google Mike Woodson to know who he is...that isn't a good sign. Kids don't have to google most premier power 5 conference coaches to know if they should take a phone call from them or form an opinion of them. They know them period. May not know everything about them but they know their track record and know who they are. Just saying you can google a guy and even still not come out with much knowledge of who he is as an athlete, coach, or man. I'd argue if you just google Mike Woodson you wouldn't come away nearly as impressed with him as those that just KNOW Mike Woodson. Again...not saying kids don't know the man...but I don't like the fact that he is the best kept coaching secret in basketball. Mike has his work cut out to establish his brand and his persona in the college coaching landscape. I hope he is able to do that quickly!

• Like 1

Initially, I was pretty bummed out by this hire.  Like so many others, I wanted Brad Stevens.  Now the more I read, the more positive I am about Coach Woodson.  I also like the idea of the brain trust that he is putting together.  I am choosing to be cautiously optimistic and support Coach Woodson and our program.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think most high level recruits will know who Mike Woodson is, if from nothing else, from following the NBA. It isn't like he is an obscure name in NBA circles.

really?  maybe this is where i'm missing out.  i mean this sincerely as i do not follow the NBA.  i wouldn't think kids would know who assistant coaches are very often.  Woodson really carries that much clout as an assistant for a bad franchise?  

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not saying kids do or don't know who Mike Woodson is...but if you have to google Mike Woodson to know who he is...that isn't a good sign. Kids don't have to google most premier power 5 conference coaches to know if they should take a phone call from them or form an opinion of them. They know them period. May not know everything about them but they know their track record and know who they are. Just saying you can google a guy and even still not come out with much knowledge of who he is as an athlete, coach, or man. I'd argue if you just google Mike Woodson you wouldn't come away nearly as impressed with him as those that just KNOW Mike Woodson. Again...not saying kids don't know the man...but I don't like the fact that he is the best kept coaching secret in basketball. Mike has his work cut out to establish his brand and his persona in the college coaching landscape. I hope he is able to do that quickly!

I get what you're saying and you're not wrong. However, the kids want to play in the NBA and even if they have to google him to find out who he is I'm pretty sure his long track record of coaching will probably be enough to get them to at least listen to his pitch. Plus, this hire has been talked about on national sports shows so I'm sure most of them have at minimum a slight idea of who he is by now.

Whether it works out well enough to create some recruiting momentum before he has to prove it by winning games remains to be seen.

I guess Washington might be the first chance Woodson to land a big in-state recruit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

really?  maybe this is where i'm missing out.  i mean this sincerely as i do not follow the NBA.  i wouldn't think kids would know who assistant coaches are very often.  Woodson really carries that much clout as an assistant for a bad franchise?  

He was a head coach for a long time and is the last coach with the Knicks to make the playoffs. I would be pretty surprised if a big time recruit didn't know who he is. 

I’m behind the Mike Woodson hire now. He brings a lot to the table. My biggest concern with this hire from the beginning is that hiring an Indiana guy is great if it works, but at the end of the day, you still have to win.
So if for some reason this doesn’t work, IU could be thought of as a place you don’t want to coach. 

I have also said and still believe that schools tend to hold on to their own longer than an outsider if things aren’t going well. So even if we are mediocre, it could be a long hall, because everyone likes coach Woodson and all the ties to the program, Bobby and his players.
  I liked what I’ve heard so far and have changed my mind since the dust has settled. I’m just stating some things that some may not have thought of if it doesn’t work out.

Edited by Bowhunter
Phone texting sucks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I heard it was possibly a ploy to keep TJD.  Larry coached Dale while with the Pacers.

Oh...that's interesting info. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure Dale's in TJD's ear, and the daddy Davis need to be assured his son will be developed and prepared for the next level if staying one more year. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He was a head coach for a long time and is the last coach with the Knicks to make the playoffs. I would be pretty surprised if a big time recruit didn't know who he is. 

We have people in our own fanbase who didn't know who CMW was before his name came up in this coaching search. The last time the Knicks made the playoffs was, what, 8 years ago? Most of the kids being recruited now were in middle school or earlier. I'm good with the hire, but the name recognition likely isn't going to be there, at least early on.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Quality isn't the best but here is Woody's final home game. The crowd sure seemed to love him.

Watched that game a few months ago and it was a great game.  Pretty impressive for Mike to come off a back surgery and come back to be the big ten player of the year.  It is hard to find games from the 79-80 season and if you do the quality of the film is not great.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

We have people in our own fanbase who didn't know who CMW was before his name came up in this coaching search. The last time the Knicks made the playoffs was, what, 8 years ago? Most of the kids being recruited now were in middle school or earlier. I'm good with the hire, but the name recognition likely isn't going to be there, at least early on.

We have a lot of fans that don't follow basketball outside of IU. Again, I think most high-level recruits will know who he is. Mike Woodson is not exactly an obscure name to people who follow basketball. 

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Listen to JMV yesterday and Dolson on there and said eh talked to a lot of the top people of the NBA about different coaches on his list.  He said everyone of those top NBA guys said Mike Woodson is one of the top basketball minds they have came across. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We have a lot of fans that don't follow basketball outside of IU. Again, I think most high-level recruits will know who he is. Mike Woodson is not exactly an obscure name to people who follow basketball. 

really?  that honestly surprises me.  not saying you're wrong, but i would think if i walk down the hallway in the high school i teach at and ask players from our bball team who Mike Woodson is, i would think literally none of them would.  keep in mind i am in NC and not IN.  you think i'm wrong?  i'm gonna try it if i see any of them.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

really?  that honestly surprises me.  not saying you're wrong, but i would think if i walk down the hallway in the high school i teach at and ask players from our bball team who Mike Woodson is, i would think literally none of them would.  keep in mind i am in NC and not IN.  you think i'm wrong?  i'm gonna try it if i see any of them.  

Yes, I do think you're wrong but I'd love for you to try it with the players at your school. Would be interesting information for the board to find out. 

Another key piece, are any of those players good enough to be playing high-level AAU and thinking about playing in college? 

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm interested in what your results are. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, I do think you're wrong but I'd love for you to try it with the players at your school. Would be interesting information for the board to find out. 

Another key piece, are any of those players good enough to be playing high-level AAU and thinking about playing in college? 

they won the 3A state championship this year and have 8 kids who play pretty high level AAU, but only 1 D1.  probably 2 or 3 D2 kids, and the rest D3.  i'll be surprised if they know who Woodson is, but will ask if i pass them in the hall!  if they say, yeah the new Indiana coach, i will ask if they knew who he was before then!

I guess I will try to explain why I think having an IU guy is the right thing at this time.  First I am not saying this to condemn anyone or blame anyone who might not understand this.  I know people who did not grow up in Indiana or is a lot younger than did not see what IU meant when RMK was the coach.  I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those announcers were former players in John Laskowski and later Ted Kitchell.  Back then they played games on Thursday night and Saturday and it was easy to keep up with the schedule.  You know when you had to find your 2 and half hours time to watch the game plus the pre game show with RMK.  RMK would have about a 12 minute segment to explain what the team was going to do against this opponent and it taught IU fans the game.  Not to mention Martha the Mop Lady and the Farm Bureau Insurance commercials.

All of this made IU like your own family and would do anything to support that family  I know when you are younger that everything seems more important everything was such a big deal.  This is what IU basketball felt like to me and that I felt part of it.  You also always saw former players at the game and they were welcome back anytime they wanted.

After RMK was let go I was all for letting someone else come in and try to bring IU back to where it was use to be.  We brought in outside guys who had proven to win at the level they were at.  They made deep runs in the tournament so they seemed like great hires but there was always something missing to them.  We have done this for 20 years and it never totally panned out and here we are 20 years later trying to get IU back to what we use to be.  Everyone say they want IU back to what it once was and to me it is time to bring back a guy who was part of what IU use to be.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am sure just normal students in school in NC probably doesn't know who Mike Woodson is but that is not what is important.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, but if they're following IU and don't know who CMW is, then the odds are even slimmer for kids who don't follow IU. I'm just not seeing it. My stepson and his buddies had no idea who CMW was when he was announced, and they're all around the same age as recruits would be and, while not hard core NBA fans, they certainly know the players and the teams. I just can't see a whole lot of teenagers caring who the assistant coach for the Knicks is. I know I didn't at that age, and I was a huge NBA fan.