Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I think this is the biggest legitimate concern.  I also think this is a big reason Matt’s was brought in along with helping navigate NCAA “regulations” and the relationships he has throughout the Midwest.  This is in reference to the article about being on call 24/7

Edited by DeadOne
Didn’t use the quote function properly

7 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This article makes a good point about why Woodson might fail. The recruiting and dealing with college students has been my largest concern with this hire. I think Matta can help with some of this and can at least help Woodson prepare to deal with the rest.

https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-mike-woodson-rude-awakening-230859190.html

The key is to avoid recruiting knuckleheads.  A team full of kids who have a good head on their shoulder will have more success than a team full of knuckleheads that may have more natural talent.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This article makes a good point about why Woodson might fail. The recruiting and dealing with college students has been my largest concern with this hire. I think Matta can help with some of this and can at least help Woodson prepare to deal with the rest.

That is the least of my worries. Why do we think Mike couldn't do this and guys like Archie can?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ephul said:

That is the least of my worries. Why do we think Mike couldn't do this and guys like Archie can?

Not that he can't.  There are no guarantees of anything.  See Archie.  But Archie was 25 years younger and had over a decade of college coaching experience.  Woodson has zero.  The odds are definitely against him.

55 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

scares me to death

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The key is to avoid recruiting knuckleheads.  A team full of kids who have a good head on their shoulder will have more success than a team full of knuckleheads that may have more natural talent.  

I think we’ve had this conversation before, but I disagree.  We’ve been getting our ass kicked with nice kids who have good heads on their shoulders for most of the past decade.  I’m ready for Woodson to start recruiting knuckleheads who won’t get pushed around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

scares me to death

Just seems to me like IU has a history of panic hires.  Meaning they seem to zero in on one candidate each time and when he says no they panic and make a bad hire out the blue.

In 2006 Beilein was the choice but Herbert blew that up so they went out and hired a guy with NCAA sanctions hanging over him. In 2008 they wanted Bennett and when they couldn't get him they went out a and hired a carnival barker.  In 2017 they went all in on Donovan and when he said no they made another risky hire of a guy they knew wouldn't say no.  This time it was all in on Stevens and apparently they didn't even reach out to Beard, Drew, Oats, or Musselman.  Just makes no sense.  Maybe it's a fear of rejection.  I don't know but our administration does not know how to hire.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Watched that game a few months ago and it was a great game.  Pretty impressive for Mike to come off a back surgery and come back to be the big ten player of the year.  It is hard to find games from the 79-80 season and if you do the quality of the film is not great.

Scott being positive about DBM.  Please let that not be a sign of the apocalypse.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Was that the Onion?   The truth is none of us has any idea whether Woodson will work out.   I also think that article was complete stupidity.  Who the hell is Wolkein? I suspect he’s extremely young the way he talks about a 63 year old.    His reasoning ability is very low level.  Girlfriend issues.  Lol.  He has no idea what he’s talking about.  Woody coaches players who are 20 too.  They don’t have girlfriends issues?   If anything, Woody is a phenomenal mentor.  The notion that a 63 year old can’t guide on that is on its face sheer ignorance.  Listen to his players.  They love how he relates.  How does Coach K at 70 something handle girlfriend issues?   Boeheim?  Pitino?   They are a decade older than Woody.  This is an author with very poor reasoning abilities.  

Journalism majors should be forced to study math, science, philosophy, etc.  It would really help with their reasoning ability.  We have too many college kids who escape without stretching their comfort level and be challenged to think and reason.  63 is not a different type of creature that hasn’t experienced life.  If anything he probably has great perspective.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 7

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Was that the Onion?   The truth is none of us has any idea whether Woodson will work out.   I also think that article was complete stupidity.  Who the hell is Wolkein? I suspect he’s extremely young the way he talks about a 63 year old.    His reasoning ability is very low level.  Girlfriend issues.  Lol.  He has no idea what he’s talking about.  If anything, Woody is a great mentor.  Listen to his players.  This is an author with very poor reasoning abilities.  Journalism majors should be forced to study math, science, philosophy, etc.  It would really help with their reasoning.  

Journalism major here and I did study those other disciplines lol. ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Was that the Onion?   The truth is none of us has any idea whether Woodson will work out.   I also think that article was complete stupidity.  Who the hell is Wolkein? I suspect he’s extremely young the way he talks about a 63 year old.    His reasoning ability is very low level.  Girlfriend issues.  Lol.  He has no idea what he’s talking about.  If anything, Woody is a great mentor.  Listen to his players.  This is an author with very poor reasoning abilities.  Journalism majors should be forced to study math, science, philosophy, etc.  It would really help with their reasoning.  

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."

Bob Knight

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Journalism major here and I did study those other disciplines lol. ;)

I’m glad you did, and I respect that.  From your posts, I see that you’re obviously very bright so I shouldn’t paint with a broad brush.   

Having said that, I see a lot of poor reasoning from sports writers in particular and it sets me off.  I had a very broad education and analytical skills are something I think a ton of people lack.  The degrees that are offered often let students hide from challenging themselves with things like physics, chemistry, math.  It wouldn’t hurt all students to be forced to go check out Swain Hall, lol.  

No offense intended to any particular student.  Everyone is different.  

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m glad you did, and I respect that.  From your posts, I see that you’re obviously very bright so I shouldn’t paint with a broad brush.   

Having said that, I see a lot of poor reasoning from sports writers in particular and it sets me off.  I had a very broad education and analytical skills are something I think a ton of people lack.  The degrees that are offered often let students hide from challenging themselves with things like physics, chemistry, math.  It wouldn’t hurt all students to be forced to go check out Swain Hall, lol.  

No offense intended to any particular student.  Everyone is different.  

I'm just messing with you.  No offense taken.  Today's journalism has a lot to be desired.  It is all uninformed hot takes to get people to react a la Goodman for example with the our coaching search.  I prefer the old way of reporting news versus creating it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Wouldn't expect anything else from you.  Very much on brand lol.  

Well, we are lawyers so we get a lot of jokes.  I actually enjoy lawyer jokes.  

EDIT.  I would add that Knight’s best friend is Bob Hammel.  So he obviously doesn’t mean all.  There are obviously exceptionally bright people in all walks of life, from the foreman at a factory, to a welder, a handyman, an accountant, a journalist, teacher, lawyer, corporate executive, physician etc.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Just seems to me like IU has a history of panic hires.  Meaning they seem to zero in on one candidate each time and when he says no they panic and make a bad hire out the blue.

In 2006 Beilein was the choice but Herbert blew that up so they went out and hired a guy with NCAA sanctions hanging over him. In 2008 they wanted Bennett and when they couldn't get him they went out a and hired a carnival barker.  In 2017 they went all in on Donovan and when he said no they made another risky hire of a guy they knew wouldn't say no.  This time it was all in on Stevens and apparently they didn't even reach out to Beard, Drew, Oats, or Musselman.  Just makes no sense.  Maybe it's a fear of rejection.  I don't know but our administration does not know how to hire.

First off, I've come around to this hire and think he will do all right.  It seems to me like this was orchestrated by the big money.  They wanted Stevens and if that didn't happen they wanted an IU guy.  I think Dolson got put between a rock and a hard place and was steered to hire Woody once Stevens said no.  Dolson recognized the issues with the hire and got Matta involved to help steer the ship and prevent this from being a suez type disaster.  Not the best scenario, but with the right guys around Woody this just might work.  So I don't think it was fear of rejection, but more you need to hire option B if A doesn't pan out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Well, we are lawyers so we get a lot of jokes.  I actually enjoy lawyer jokes.  

EDIT.  I would add that Knight’s best friend is Bob Hammel.  So he obviously doesn’t mean all.  There are obviously exceptionally bright people in all walks of life, from the foreman at a factory, to a welder, a handyman, an accountant, a journalist, teacher, lawyer, corporate executive, physician etc.  

If I wasn't clear, I took it as a joke.  I've got plenty of lawyer jokes as well.  My wife is one.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HoobieDoobie said:

First off, I've come around to this hire and think he will do all right.  It seems to me like this was orchestrated by the big money.  They wanted Stevens and if that didn't happen they wanted an IU guy.  I think Dolson got put between a rock and a hard place and was steered to hire Woody once Stevens said no.  Dolson recognized the issues with the hire and got Matta involved to help steer the ship and prevent this from being a suez type disaster.  Not the best scenario, but with the right guys around Woody this just might work.  So I don't think it was fear of rejection, but more you need to hire option B if A doesn't pan out.

After some initial shock, I think everyone has made an adjustment along the way and everyone will give him a chance.  I would think the last thing someone would want to do is be really negative without giving him a chance and then watch him do really well.  That won’t play well.   Nobody wants to be in that spot so everyone will give him a chance. 

To me, progress goes beyond W’s and L’s.  I mean, sure, you can’t lose to Purdue every single time especially with none of them being legitimately close.  But more importantly it’s “showing your work” like proofs in geometry.  If the style of ball is effective, and on the right track, all will be fine regardless of just W’s.  Good basketball will lead to wins even if it’s not immediate.  The problem is when you lose and there are a ton of perceived errors in the overall plan.  Then you lose the fan base.  Once that happens, it’s all over.  At this point, we simply do not know.  So we are in “give him a chance mode.” I believe that will be the prevailing view.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

If I wasn't clear, I took it as a joke.  I've got plenty of lawyer jokes as well.  My wife is one.

That’s good.  Thank you for your understanding.  

It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine.  I once had to chastise a young attorney for taking a condescending shot at a Foreman of a manufacturing plant.  I was not happy.  The sad thing is I think all he will change is not saying it out loud.  Maybe he will learn in time with life experience.  The foreman in question is actually smart and I knew him from before from a deposition.  I knew he was considered a star at the company and highly regarded.  Manufacturing got handled extremely well on his watch and he handled hiccups really well.  How invaluable is that?  The young associate, like a lot of people, just don’t get it.   I apologize for the tangent!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ephul said:

Who is going to be harder to deal with?  18-22 year old basketball playing college students or 19-24 year old basketball playing millionaires?  I think the latter would be a little more difficult than the former.  I am sure that Woodson has developed some good people skills over the years.  The NBA guys that talk favorably of him all say he was a good dude without having to blow smoke up their ass.

He will be fine.

Edit to add:  I responded to you but I was just building off what you said.  Miller is 20 years younger and couldn't get through to the team.  It is not about age, it is personality.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1