Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

You know, age doesn't matter as much as some are trying to make out. Many kids lean on grandparents all the time and appreciate their wisdom. Also, if we are worried that he can't coach for 20 years, but maybe for only another 10-12, well that will mean that he has been successful, because CAM only got 4 years and Crean 9.  I hope he does well enough to get an extension, because being young and having the potential for 20-25 years as coach didn't work out for Archie.  We need a coach that does well for the next 3-4 years, and than go from there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

UPDATE - I asked each of the starting 5 separately an none had heard of Woodson.  The best one who is a D1 recruit said, "Coach, I would be lucky to name 10 current head coaches in the NBA."  So, I'm not saying this as a knock on Woodson as they also wouldn't be able to tell me who the coach for Arkansas or Alabama is.  I'm just saying I disagree that recruits are going to know who Woodson is unless they grew up in Indiana and their parents were big fans.  Actually maybe their grandparents.  I'm 47 and don't remember Woodson.  

Did you see during the big East tournament where a security guard did  not know who Patrick Ewing was. He was coming into Madison Square Garden where he played in the NBA but didn't have his credentials and the security guard did not know him.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did you see during the big East tournament where a security guard did  not know who Patrick Ewing was. He was coming into Madison Square Garden where he played in the NBA but didn't have his credentials and the security guard did not know him.

I figured for sure you would bring up the Joe Morgan incident...

I’ve seen a lot of talk on here that kids these days won’t know who Mike Woodson is and how that will hurt recruiting. I laugh at this because who was Archie Miller? I had to google him after we hired him because I had no clue who it was. I couldn’t tell you what team he coached or where he played ball. For reference I’m in my early 20s. I remember mike Woodson as an NBA coach but not as a player for IU. The point I’m trying to make is who cares if they remember the coach or not. Kids can be recruiting to IU regardless of if they remember the head coach as a player. Archie brought in multiple 5 star recruits and he was a mid major coach and.... *checking google*.....played PG for NC State. It takes one google search to figure this stuff out.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

that's about as recognizable as it gets in MSG!

15 minutes ago, DireBump said:

I’ve seen a lot of talk on here that kids these days won’t know who Mike Woodson is and how that will hurt recruiting. I laugh at this because who was Archie Miller? I had to google him after we hired him because I had no clue who it was. I couldn’t tell you what team he coached or where he played ball. For reference I’m in my early 20s. I remember mike Woodson as an NBA coach but not as a player for IU. The point I’m trying to make is who cares if they remember the coach or not. Kids can be recruiting to IU regardless of if they remember the head coach as a player. Archie brought in multiple 5 star recruits and he was a mid major coach and.... *checking google*.....played PG for NC State. It takes one google search to figure this stuff out.

i am not arguing that it will hurt us.  i just argue that some on here are saying that the players do know who he is.  they really don't, but that's not abnormal for college coaches.  i'm just saying you can't use that as one of the things Woodson has going for him.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Quality isn't the best but here is Woody's final home game. The crowd sure seemed to love him.

That’s mesmerizing.  I love the IU fan base.  For anyone who’s become self loathing about IU basketball, that shows you who we can be.   

PS I assume the Fire Marshall looked the other way, lol.  The number of random, unaccounted humans sitting Indian style in random spots or standing around is mind boggling.   I will defend this fan base to death.  By the way, those were two stacked teams.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s mesmerizing.  I love the IU fan base.  For anyone who’s become self loathing about IU basketball, that shows you who we can be.   

PS I assume the Fire Marshall looked the other way, lol.  The number of random, unaccounted humans sitting Indian style in random spots or standing around is mind boggling.   I will defend this fan base to death.  By the way, those were two stacked teams.  

Back in the day the seats across the floor of the bench were all filled and had a lot of places for people in wheel chairs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

I admit to initially being disappointed that our new coach wasn't going to be Brad Stevens.  I know, I know, I hung on to that dream too long.  I processed it during a drive on I-69, and then the more I thought about it, the more I was like, "Heck, yeah! Mike Woodson!" 

My basketball knowledge is limited to watching games, Don Fischer, instruction from Coach Knight on his shows, all of you talking about the plays, etc., so I'm not a great person to ask if he'll succeed.

So he hasn't coached in college, but he has in the NBA, with many different players and personalities and media; well-liked by any and all who know him, from what I can tell; terrific player back in the day; Thad Matta is a major addition - honestly goosebumps that he's in the cream and crimson now - because something that Butler was doing at that time and at least 2-3 coaches later was RIGHT and why not bring that here; and WOW THE ROLODEX. Larry Brown??  WOW WOW WOW.  The guy is a basketball genius, and I loved him when he coached the Pacers.  

I have big hopes, and I think this is going to turn out to be a great hire.  I am ALL IN!  Let's go, Hoosiers!! 

The guys on the assembly call seem pretty down on it. Except for that guy with the cigar and he looked pretty hammered, honestly.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

The guys on the assembly call seem pretty down on it. Except for that guy with the cigar and he looked pretty hammered, honestly.

The only one against it was Ryan Phillips.  Jerrod Morris had written an article about Woodson before the hire about the 5 good things he would bring to IU.

• Like 1