Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How many recruits knew who Musselman and Oats were before they  got to Arkansas and Alabama,  Just look at most of the coaches in the elite 8 and probably 5 of them was  not that well known until they got their big opportunity,

OSU- Tinkle most probably did not know who he was 2 weeks ago

Gonzaga- Did anyone know who Mark Few was when he took this job

USC- Enfeld only had 1 great run in the tournament but wa snot well known.

UM- Howard they knew him from his playing days but no HC experience

UCLA-  Cronin he was a a good coach but how many recruits really knew who he was when he went to UCLA

Alabama- Oats been a HC coach in D1 4 years an no one  really knew who he was before this year.

Arkansas- Musselman been HC for 5 ears in D1 and how many recruits new him until 2 years ago

Baylor- Drew he is well known now but when he took over Baylor he had 1 year d1 coaching experience.

You're looking at this as being known by a fan watching TV. Yes, fans watching on TV at home didn't know who those guys were/are. But, most of those guys spent years on the recruiting trail as assistants before becoming head coaches. 

So yes, the AAU coaches and the high schools coaches that you need relationships with to get in the door with recruits knew them well. They've been to all of the AAU tournaments all summer, they've recruited other kids that these AAU guys have had, etc., they've spent years as assistants building relationships with the powers that be in grassroots high school basketball. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I’d bet there might be more than a couple. Just my guess. I know IU fans that didn’t know him. A lot of kids came to play for Archie. I don’t think it’s a secret that history is not a strength of today’s youth. 

I think that was one problem with Archie is he didn't really care about the history of IU basketball or former players. t is bad that Chris Beard took his team around AH and telling them about the history of this place and IU basketball but our players don't know the history.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d bet there might be more than a couple. Just my guess. I know IU fans that didn’t know him. A lot of kids came to play for Archie. I don’t think it’s a secret that history is not a strength of today’s youth. 

I prefer "students of the game."  But it is what it is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rico said:

An IU basketball player that has never heard of Mike Woodson is like a Notre Dame football player that has never heard of Tim Brown.

sort of...

Wasn't Tim Brown that kid that had a handwritten note from his girl on his towel each game? I remember Uncle Luke putting a bounty on that once. 

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think that was one problem with Archie is he didn't really care about the history of IU basketball or former players.

I don't think that's true at all...he talked about IU's history all the time...

Archie is gone...no need to keep trying to heap it on him... New day... Concentrate on that... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think that's true at all...he talked IU's history all the time...

Archie is gone...no need keep trying to heap it on him... New day... Concentrate on that... 

I have heard plenty of former players who would disagree with you especially the day that RMK came back

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Most college offense are based off of the NBA sets

Yes...and Woodson has been coaching and working with the most elite talent on the planet. Yes he has worked with extremely young guys but mostly grown men. Sprinkling in HOF caliber players like Carmelo and Amari Staudamire etc etc. Aged professionals that come in prepared and ready to fight for their jobs. Not saying he can’t coach college kids but he has never before. I want him to be great but it can just as easily not translate. Time will tell. In the end it comes down to the players though. If he doesn’t have talent it’s going to be a struggle. I hope he gets them. Some of the talent we have had the past 5-6 years...even Bobby Knight wouldn’t be able to win with. Probably would have strangled them all lol. Hope Mike has a lot of patience. Offense looks great with nba talented shooters running it. How about poor even by college players shooting? Gotta find some shooters coach! Starts now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Appreciate your thoughts. There is a lot there, so I'm just going to respond to a few points quickly. 

On Archie, yes I do think high school players, high school coaches and AAU coaches knew who he was before he came to IU. Archie had spent over a decade recruiting and coaching in the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12, A-10, etc. He was a known commodity on the recruiting trail. 

I think Woodson will do well on the court as well, he's clearly a strong basketball mind and I really like the NBA experience he brings to the game and the development on players. I think it remains to be seen how well he can recruit, his energy level for recruiting, and his energy for motivating college players (which is different than in the NBA). 

I love the Matta addition, potentially adding Larry Brown, as well as the staff he has the potential to bring in. I think this has the potential to be a grand slam, but it is riskier than bring in a proven Power 5 coach. Again, the key word is "proven". Not another Archie, but a coach that has a proven, successful track record at a Power 5 school. 

That would have been safer and potentially better. But, I am excited about the upside and the potential strategic approach of building an NBA-style organization at a college. I think that has the chance to be a genius move. 

Agreed on the "energy level" portion of the recruiting, although Woody still seems like a young guy for his age. Hopefully with a little success, good assistants can do that leg work. I think once Woody is in a recruit's room, he'll be as good as anyone.... hopefully he can get things rolling sooner than later to take pressure off himself.

The "proven" coach is where I think interpretations and disagreements would arise. I wasn't nearly as high on Beard as many. I think he's done good at Tech, and he's a good coach, but he reminds me of Archie the most out of all the names. Can't put a finger on it though. With Oats' buyout and Drew's sketchiness they were probably out, so that would really leave just Beard and Musselman. I think with that pool of candidates, now was the perfect time to give Woody a shot.

Archie spent a decade recruiting and coaching, and we were left with a coach that couldn't pull big time recruits in, and had a porous defense and stagnant offense. Some goes on the players, but I just don't think Archie could get through to them. 

I've been impressed with Woody's ability to adapt and change with the times. He's not an old timer stuck in his ways. And I think with his NBA background both playing and coaching, he will have more clout on the recruiting trail than a guy like Archie ever would...

Always enjoy the debate and back and forth with you. It's nice to have opposing opinions and be able to debate a bit without silly name calling or things like that. At the end of the day, we may disagree on the process or question the decision, but we both want Woody to do great. I think we are in for some great basketball in the coming years!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...and Woodson has been coaching and working with the most elite talent on the planet. Yes he has worked with extremely young guys but mostly grown men. Sprinkling in HOF caliber players like Carmelo and Amari Staudamire etc etc. Aged professionals that come in prepared and ready to fight for their jobs. Not saying he can’t coach college kids but he has never before. I want him to be great but it can just as easily not translate. Time will tell. In the end it comes down to the players though. If he doesn’t have talent it’s going to be a struggle. I hope he gets them. Some of the talent we have had the past 5-6 years...even Bobby Knight wouldn’t be able to win with. Probably would have strangled them all lol. Hope Mike has a lot of patience. Offense looks great with nba talented shooters running it. How about poor even by college players shooting? Gotta find some shooters coach! Starts now!

of coarse this can fail but rather look at it in a positive light right now.  Just listened to his interview with Fischer and like the fact that he is able to change.  He said when he was with the Hawks he didn't utilize the 3 much but when he got to the Knicks he decided to use it as their offense.  They set records on mad e3's and thought it wouldn't be broken but now GS and Houston has totally blew those records away.  So it was Woodson that was one of the first who changed how they ran their offense around the 3.  I have no facts to back it up but to me it would be easier to go from the pros to the college game than the other way around.  In college you can communicate with your players in a certain way that won't work in the NBA

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ephul said:

Agreed on the "energy level" portion of the recruiting, although Woody still seems like a young guy for his age. Hopefully with a little success, good assistants can do that leg work. I think once Woody is in a recruit's room, he'll be as good as anyone.... hopefully he can get things rolling sooner than later to take pressure off himself.

The "proven" coach is where I think interpretations and disagreements would arise. I wasn't nearly as high on Beard as many. I think he's done good at Tech, and he's a good coach, but he reminds me of Archie the most out of all the names. Can't put a finger on it though. With Oats' buyout and Drew's sketchiness they were probably out, so that would really leave just Beard and Musselman. I think with that pool of candidates, now was the perfect time to give Woody a shot.

Archie spent a decade recruiting and coaching, and we were left with a coach that couldn't pull big time recruits in, and had a porous defense and stagnant offense. Some goes on the players, but I just don't think Archie could get through to them. 

I've been impressed with Woody's ability to adapt and change with the times. He's not an old timer stuck in his ways. And I think with his NBA background both playing and coaching, he will have more clout on the recruiting trail than a guy like Archie ever would...

Always enjoy the debate and back and forth with you. It's nice to have opposing opinions and be able to debate a bit without silly name calling or things like that. At the end of the day, we may disagree on the process or question the decision, but we both want Woody to do great. I think we are in for some great basketball in the coming years!

After hearing that there might be some things about Beard going around I don't think IU even looked at him.  according to Goodman, I know we hate him but said that he has heard something about him and it is why UCLA or IU ever reached out to him.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

RMK spoke too the team that day, did he not? Archie sat down with RMK a couple of times...respected him very much...

I am talking about them not being out on the court during the halftime festivities.  Joe Hillman said he lost any respect he had for him that day and how he handle that day.  I am not making this stuff up and just go out and listen to podcast with former players and you will hear these things.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am talking about them not being out on the court during the halftime festivities.  Joe Hillman said he lost any respect he had for him that day and how he handle that day.  I am not making this stuff up and just go out and listen to podcast with former players and you will hear these things.

Not going to go around with you on this Scott...I heard Archie talk many times about IU and its history and how special it was...Just because a few players got a case of the red a$$ over not getting invited to talk to the team or whatever, it doesn't change that...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2