Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

53 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think it remains to be seen how well he can recruit, his energy level for recruiting, and his energy for motivating college players

If you need, lets say 3 players. You have a team of Wood, Larry Brown and Thad Mata. It's only 3 short trips and he is done recruiting for the year. How much energy could it take? 😉

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not going to go around with you on this Scott...I heard Archie talk many times about IU and its history and how special it was...Just because a few players got a case of the red a$$ over not getting invited to talk to the team or whatever, it doesn't change that...

It is not about talking about it and saying words it is about action.  Former players are upset that they no longer get tickets to games which is going to change now.  It is about not having former great players and teams back for games or not having a reunion weekend like they use to do.  According to John Laskawski that Mike has already is planning to have a golf outing this summer. for former players.  I will take the word of former players meaning plural over a guy on a message board.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not ab out talking about it and saying words it is about action.  former players are upset that they no longer get tickets to games which is going to change now.  It is about not having former great players and teams back for games or not having a reunion weekend like they use to do.  According to John Laskawski that Mike has already is planning to have a gold outing this summer. for former players.  I will take the word of former players meaning plural over a guy ona message board.

I seriously doubt Archie had anything to do with ticket distribution to former players...that would be an AD/Athletic department call...Blame Fred Glass...

I don't know why you can't turn the page on Archie...You're emails worked...he's gone...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not about talking about it and saying words it is about action.  Former players are upset that they no longer get tickets to games which is going to change now.  It is about not having former great players and teams back for games or not having a reunion weekend like they use to do.  According to John Laskawski that Mike has already is planning to have a golf outing this summer. for former players.  I will take the word of former players meaning plural over a guy on a message board.

As I am sure you know. Golf outings like that with invites to donors will drive money coming into the program. No matter whether you or I think much of the recent history most big time donors will pay big money to play gold with any of the legends of IU basketball too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I seriously doubt Archie had anything to do with ticket distribution to former players...that would be an AD/Athletic department call...Blame Fred Glass...

I don't know why you can't turn the page on Archie...You're emails worked...he's gone...

Fred Glass to blame all the way!! I hope Dolson revisits this policy of 2 tickets at 2 games a year. Should there be 50 former players there every game, no but it shouldnt be an issue if they want to come.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’d be interested in how many current IU players know who Woodson was when he was announced? This might play well in Indiana but how does it play in Texas...in Michigan...etc. Then take that to knowing the guy coached NBA and is the Indiana coach but what kind of system does he run...how to invision how I fit in it when he has no recent history of him coaching college kids. It’s a big difference then say what Holtmon...Painter...and Izzo will be able to do when going head to head for kids.

I don't mean this as a shot at you, and maybe this is become I'm in sales for a living and really good at it....

But some of our fans are really bad at selling. Like honestly, if you can't put together a great story for why, "Woodson over Painter" then this is going to be ugly. 

Mike Woodson was the coach at perhaps the most relevant point of Carmelo Anthony's pro career. Mike Woodson took the Hawks from a laughing stock to a perennial playoff team. Mike Woodson was trusted ny guys like Thibs and Doc Rivers as their top assistant. Mike Woodson was a double digit scorer for over a decade in the NBA. Mike Woodson has guys like Ray Felton and Jamal Crawford, who had really long, really successful NBA careers, gushing over him as a coach in the past year. If you can't sell that over Matt Painter, who's best NBA success is E'Tuan Moore then I don't know what to tell you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Brown would also help with strategy. He will see things out there.  His knowledge of the game is amazing.  He was great for the Pacers with adjustments and player utilization.

If you land Brown, be prepared for effusive praise for IU and it’s stature from him.  This is a guy who knows basketball and context.  He knows what IU is.

If you land Brown with Matta, let there be no doubt we are a blueblood.  I’m sorry there’s no shot that those guys would go to Purdue lol.  No shot.  Nobody gives a crap about Purdue.  IU will stir massive interest for as long as any of us are around.  Purdue can fantasize all they want but they will never have that stature.  

In all seriousness, what basketball staff ever has had as much player development and X and O expertise as Mike Woodson, Thad Matta, and Larry Brown. 

Like yeah, we have to bring in talent, but if we can bring in talent with that then I'm not sure we can with anyone. That's such an easy sell. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think that was one problem with Archie is he didn't really care about the history of IU basketball or former players. t is bad that Chris Beard took his team around AH and telling them about the history of this place and IU basketball but our players don't know the history.

i don't buy into Archie not knowing or not caring about IU history.  i am trying to comprehend how it makes a difference to constantly be preaching on or telling current players old IU stories.  i mean they'd be really cool to me, but will that be the difference in getting us to play better basketball?  coach's job is to motivate.  they just have to be able to motivate whatever their style is.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't buy into Archie not knowing or not caring about IU history.  i am trying to comprehend how it makes a difference to constantly be preaching on or telling current players old IU stories.  i mean they'd be really cool to me, but will that be the difference in getting us to play better basketball?  coach's job is to motivate.  they just have to be able to motivate whatever their style is.  

The 3 things Dolson said the current players asked for in the new coach was telling about Archie. Relationship with the staff, player development and an opened up style of play.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I met Larry Brown once in my back yard. I lived in Hilton Head Island, SC for 16 years when I worked on the PGA Tour. A golf cart was riding around in my yard so i went out to say i didnt mind if they walked around looking for their ball but keep the cart behind the stakes. It was Larry Brown. He was playing with Jim Boeheim and Jim Calhoun.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I met Larry Brown once in my back yard. I lived in Hilton Head Island, SC for 16 years when I worked on the PGA Tour. A golf cart was riding around in my yard so i went out to say i didnt mind if they walked around looking for their ball but keep the cart behind the stakes. It was Larry Brown. He was playing with Jim Boeheim and Jim Calhoun.

very cool

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I hope Brown was driving...

• Haha 5