Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Really curious to see what Woodson's recruiting strategy is going to be more long term. 

I mean less style of play/player, but more talent level. Will he be more in the get old,, stay old mold with a more regional approach, or being a guy with over 40 years of NBA experience, is he going to want to swing big and use that NBA pedigree to up IU's recruiting game nationally with top players. 

I think that is one thing he has not really been asked or addressed yet. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

It looks like this hire could be very good. Glad to see some of our guys sticking around. I wonder if we tend to over value our own guys/ Indiana guys

I’ve had the same thought.  I do like having a core of local kids, but wonder  whether we need to recruit more outsiders to improve balance and overall talent.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really curious to see what Woodson's recruiting strategy is going to be more long term. 

I mean less style of play/player, but more talent level. Will he be more in the get old,, stay old mold with a more regional approach, or being a guy with over 40 years of NBA experience, is he going to want to swing big and use that NBA pedigree to up IU's recruiting game nationally with top players. 

While I like bringing in regional kids I think he needs to go more nationally. I think it would benefit IU overall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

If we can do that without running into the problems Duke and Kentucky face right now, I'm all for it...

Almost any 5 star from Indiana (depending on fit/need) should always be a priority though...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

Id look to see how he built that Hawk team...

Edited by Dawg Bawls

43 minutes ago, coachadragna said:

If anybody is interested, I did a breakdown of what I believe Mike Woodson will be brining to Indiana Basketball. https://iufilmroom.com/mike-woodson/what-will-mike-woodson-bring-to-indiana/

Spacing is such an underrated element in the game. Many, many times I saw CAM's sets and they just felt 'unbalanced' to the naked eye. Your point about room to create off the pick and roll was a very good one; the ballhandler needs to have the space to keep the defense on its heels.

Gonzaga does a great job of this. They have the spacing to pass - and do so with incredible consistency - which keeps the defense constantly on the move, and tired.

• Like 4