Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Spacing is such an underrated element in the game. Many, many times I saw CAM's sets and they just felt 'unbalanced' to the naked eye. Your point about room to create off the pick and roll was a very good one; the ballhandler needs to have the space to keep the defense on its heels.

Gonzaga does a great job of this. They have the spacing to pass - and do so with incredible consistency - which keeps the defense constantly on the move, and tired.

Good AAU ball. Everyone is a threat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Spacing is such an underrated element in the game. Many, many times I saw CAM's sets and they just felt 'unbalanced' to the naked eye. Your point about room to create off the pick and roll was a very good one; the ballhandler needs to have the space to keep the defense on its heels.

Gonzaga does a great job of this. They have the spacing to pass - and do so with incredible consistency - which keeps the defense constantly on the move, and tired.

I also think Indiana should utilize the baseline more with a 4-1 set... you can do so much if a player is running baseline. Back cuts, back screens, ball movement, and open shots because when you’re constantly moving behind the action it’s easy to be lost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Logic First said:

Big surprise coming!  The players play and the coaches coach.  Woody's players will give it all on the floor.  Players know when a coach believes in them and coaches know when the fans believe in them.  Stop bitchin and let's move this train forward.

Welcome to the board!!!   I do fear that with a name like yours tho you will have a rough time here. We rarely us logic at all, let alone first!!!  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

On 4/3/2021 at 10:13 AM, Parakeet Jones said:

If I never hear the phrase “inside out” again, I’ll be perfectly happy. Get the best kids you can who want to be Hoosiers whether they are from Bedford or Bismarck. 

Hope it is only used in the context of us shooting 3's lol.

We are always going to recruit Indiana kids heavily...it's an advantage because of the quality players the state produces...especially the Indy area where Woody should have a big sway. But I just want the best players we can get...regardless of where they play HS ball. Along the lines of losing the "inside out" recruiting motto....I want to get rid of the "get old stay old" with "get good stay good". Get IU back to good basketball and let's keep it there....done with the ups and downs. I can understand I may never see another NC at IU....I want a program that is relevant the second week of the tournament and maybe on in special years....but I can't understand missing tournaments and big highs and lows.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

I mean this with respect - why tweet he wasn't a popular choice???  He was a very popular choice for many.  Doesn't this give a false narrative?  

I do not think so. I think it was a very mixed reaction. 

Heck, just look at our thread. It was more "nay" than "yay" with a smidgen of "let's see".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Heck, just look at our thread. It was more "nay" than "yay" with a smidgen of "let's see".

+1 

It is easy to forget now that we are all jumping on the bandwagon, but there was some significant negativity at the start: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Mixed reaction, but the way the media is making it seem like everyone. 

The way I see it, there is what 1,000 members maybe of this board?  That's less than my graduating high school class.  Maybe a small faction kept on posting dislike.  Its not the entire fan base.  Media is beating on an old narrative.