Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Maybe I am just biased by the feedback I was hearing on the day he was announced, but it was like 80-20 negative.

Don't know - respect the heck out of your work.  But the negative will tweet and post, the positive you won't hear from...same with most situations like that.  Negative always feels more and emotional.

But, I just wish we, IU nation, move forward with positivity as it would be great with momentum and exposure.  

Wonder how UNC is taking the news?  I havent followed it.

13 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I do not think so. I think it was a very mixed reaction. 

Heck, just look at our thread. It was more "nay" than "yay" with a smidgen of "let's see".

Agreed. I think CMW was low on most people's list, including myself, and I'll admit I was disappointed in the hire and have been very pleasantly surprised by everything that has happened so far. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "negative" reaction, just more surprised that it wasn't someone else. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed. I think CMW was low on most people's list, including myself, and I'll admit I was disappointed in the hire and have been very pleasantly surprised by everything that has happened so far. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "negative" reaction, just more surprised that it wasn't someone else. 

put me in this group.  

29 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Like you I was disappointed in the hire but so far I have been pleasantly surprised with what has happened. Now with that being said I won't be 100% happy with the hire until IU actually starts playing some games and showing they can win consistently.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't think so at all.  i think the majority were very disappointed.  

I just think it was the lazy "Hire and IU Guy" choice being pushed by a powerful group behind the scenes.  It was also the cheap way out (although 3.5 mil still isn't cheap).  I doubt we ever really considered anyone or talked to any big name head coaches including Brad Stevens.  This was plan A the whole time.

Will it work out, We will see.  I am not negative about the hire or the program because its what I expected them to do.  So far some good solid assistant coaches have been good.  Matta to help out can't hurt.  Getting some of our players to recommit kind of feels like when CAM started though having to re-recruit players, so well see.  We'll see how he does in the transfer portal and recruiting trail to see how he fill the gaping holes in our roster.

Win big and no one will care.  But if he struggles you're going to see allot of fans vocal and won't stand for the he needs 5 years talk.   Most of the fans wanted a Whale of a hire.  They wanted a big name and didn't care about salary numbers. 

God i hope he wins big and is the next generational coach at IU, i really do.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Am I missing something in the tweet, did he mention CAM being let go?

Nope you didn't miss anything. But Cam is his buddy and since IU fired him he has been tweeting non stop about the IU coaching position.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I just think it was the lazy "Hire and IU Guy" choice being pushed by a powerful group behind the scenes.  It was also the cheap way out (although 3.5 mil still isn't cheap).  I doubt we ever really considered anyone or talked to any big name head coaches including Brad Stevens.  This was plan A the whole time.

Will it work out, We will see.  I am not negative about the hire or the program because its what I expected them to do.  So far some good solid assistant coaches have been good.  Matta to help out can't hurt.  Getting some of our players to recommit kind of feels like when CAM started though having to re-recruit players, so well see.  We'll see how he does in the transfer portal and recruiting trail to see how he fill the gaping holes in our roster.

Win big and no one will care.  But if he struggles you're going to see allot of fans vocal and won't stand for the he needs 5 years talk.   Most of the fans wanted a Whale of a hire.  They wanted a big name and didn't care about salary numbers. 

God i hope he wins big and is the next generational coach at IU, i really do.  

very solid viewpoint.  definitely seemed like a hire to appease the vocal former player crowd and some fans jumped onboard with an IU guy rather than the most qualified guy.  that said, i am more optimistic every day.  Matta and Fife are huge.  getting key players to stay make it so we can compete right away and should help with recruiting quicker.  a lot of positive energy in the program and obviously Woodson will have a ton on alumni support.  i like the recruiting prospects with the game he can talk and is personality combined with Fife, Matta, and yes, WWW.  now i'm interested to see if he is the Xs and Os genius many are saying and the player development guru many are saying.  if so, i will be so happy to be extremely wrong about my reaction to the hire!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Don't know - respect the heck out of your work.  But the negative will tweet and post, the positive you won't hear from...same with most situations like that.  Negative always feels more and emotional.

But, I just wish we, IU nation, move forward with positivity as it would be great with momentum and exposure.  

Wonder how UNC is taking the news?  I havent followed it.

I disagree. This was a big announcement, you were going to get a reaction one way or the other from people, not just from negative people.

The initial reaction from most people was anywhere from negative to "ehh, let's see how this plays out". A lot of people, myself included, have reversed course and are optimistic now, but from the time the news broke until the press conference happened was a bit of a "yikes" reaction. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Why Dolson in particular?  Why not the UNC athletic director?

Well UNC has 3 NTs in about the past 15 years.  They can afford to take a chance.  We cannot.  I like Woodson and hope it works but I told everyone that Drew was the obvious no brainer hire from the get go.  Hiring Woodson over Drew is a lot like drafting Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  It's great if it works out but if not Dolson will be out of a job and probably unemployable for life if it doesn't. That's just what happens when you make the crazy outside the box hire.  You're either a genius or a complete fool with nothing in between. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well UNC has 3 NTs in about the past 15 years.  They can afford to take a chance.  We cannot.  I like Woodson and hope it works but I told everyone that Drew was the obvious no brainer hire from the get go.  Hiring Woodson over Drew is a lot like drafting Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  It's great if it works out but if not Dolson will be out of a job and probably unemployable for life if it doesn't. That's just what happens when you make the crazy outside the box hire.  You're either a genius or a complete fool with nothing in between. 

Drew wasn't even an option.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I should have been more clear I was really rhetorically talking to Goodman since he constantly nags the Indiana fan base.   It seems peculiar to pick on IU when UNC essentially did a lesser version of what we did.  We’ve got Matta and Fife and our fan base is on board.  We aren’t sitting here pining for Drew.  You just delivered the tweet so I was not directing anything your way at all, just toward Goodman. 

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree. This was a big announcement, you were going to get a reaction one way or the other from people, not just from negative people.

The initial reaction from most people was anywhere from negative to "ehh, let's see how this plays out". A lot of people, myself included, have reversed course and are optimistic now, but from the time the news broke until the press conference happened was a bit of a "yikes" reaction. 

Yes and we were fixated on Beard, Musselman and some degree Oats (although I was never sure about the viability of paying off that buyout).  I think what you saw was hopes for those guys and then everyone had to adjust their thinking to Woody.  After Matta was announced and we heard from Woody, the mood swung the other way.  People learned there was a more advanced plan here and ultimately people supported the hire.  

I am not a fan of ripping our fan base.  There are always a few lunatics like in all walks of life, and fans will get emotional at times.  It’s within the definition of fan, after all.  But, the IU fan base is massive (rivaled only by Kentucky), passionate, knowledgeable, deeply interested, and supportive. This is literally where the clicks come from.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Of course.  It makes perfect sense that the guy who won the national championship would leave his school to come to an irrelevant program and take the job nobody wants anymore, perhaps just because Jeff Goodman tweets about that job hourly, even 9 days after it's been filled.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Of course.  It makes perfect sense that the guy who won the national championship would leave his school to come to an irrelevant program and take the job nobody wants anymore, perhaps just because Jeff Goodman tweets about that job hourly, even 9 days after it's been filled.

I am starting to like Goodman's obsession with us... it is kind of like that B-movie horror film that is so bad it starts to become good again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1