Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have gotten behind Crean and Archie as they came in. I also gave them the benefit of the doubt for years.  At the end of the day, Crean ended up being a different coach than I expected and I overestimated Archie at this time and place.  But I was optimistic on both because I’m a fan and what is the point otherwise?

But I have to say, I’m on another level of optimistic this time as compared with the last two.  Woodson has been impressive in his approach. I believe he’s working hard already based on the film he’s already broken down and all his meetings with players and coaches.  He’s got the right priorities.  But it’s more than that.  We have an AD with a background in sports now.  We have hired people like Matta and Fife which gives us a very smart and talented brain trust.  So this feels different. Maybe it’s in part that we were burned and beaten around a bit and then we had Brad calling himself a Masshole.  

So it turned out ok and we are kind of exhaling. But, in the end, I think we are finally on the right track.  Will it materialize in recruiting and on the court?  That remains to be seen but I’m unusually optimistic this time.  

And if it goes well, we have Fife in waiting and we will never have to mention Brad’s name again in a coaching search other than to laugh at the past. I always thought Brad was beyond reproach and an impeccable character. But that Masshole thing was so abnormal and bizarre, it’s nice to see he can crack too and he’s human.  But I can’t see his name coming up again, which will be a huge plus.  

Yeah, Boston is a tough sports town. I think Stevens sensed he’d gone overboard on his praise of Indiana and felt that he had to send a message to the Massholes that he’s one of them. Especially in a down year. But I agree, hopefully that ship’s sailed for good

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have gotten behind Crean and Archie as they came in. I also gave them the benefit of the doubt for years.  At the end of the day, Crean ended up being a different coach than I expected and I overestimated Archie at this time and place.  But I was optimistic on both because I’m a fan and what is the point otherwise?

But I have to say, I’m on another level of optimistic this time as compared with the last two.  Woodson has been impressive in his approach. I believe he’s working hard already based on the film he’s already broken down and all his meetings with players and coaches.  He’s got the right priorities.  But it’s more than that.  We have an AD with a background in sports now.  We have hired people like Matta and Fife which gives us a very smart and talented brain trust.  So this feels different. Maybe it’s in part that we were burned and beaten around a bit and then we had Brad calling himself a Masshole.  

Another reason I think it makes a bunch of sense to be optimistic, we have most of the players coming back. Everyone knew with Crean it would take several years and with Archie people might have disagreed about when he should start winning but that first year he was coaching a team losing it's best three players in Thomas Bryant, OG, and James Blackmon.

If Armaan does actually come back, we're returning our best two players along with whoever we can snag in the portal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Man, that was a good interview.  I really came to like and appreciate Brown when he coached the Pacers.   What he did with the Davises and optimizing Smits, etc.  Antonio was a second round pick.  Brown would call him “Tony” so I used to refer to him as Tony too.  He was fantastic with that group.  He’s an all timer.  

It was interesting that he appreciated Woodson from afar.  But went out of his way to work with him.  It wasn’t this organic thing  where he was already in the building and that just happened.  Brown sought him out.  

In this interview, he’s just rattling off intricate details and facts.  He obviously knows IU basketball intimately.  I found it to be incredible that he could just rattle off Duncomb and that he’s from Moeller and on and on.  He knows Roberts.  Remembers Matta as an assistant at Butler. It’s awesome how studied he is in basketball.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5

I’m going to place this here because I hope this doesn’t impact Woodson and his staff:

Expect to hear an announcement of who the new president of IU is sometime today or tomorrow.  The BOT are meeting and they are running up on the end of McRobbie’s tenure.  Hopefully the new president will focus on academics and let Dolson keep doing his thing.  But I personally am interested in who gets hired and how that will impact all of IU.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I’m going to place this here because I hope this doesn’t impact Woodson and his staff:

Expect to hear an announcement of who the new president of IU is sometime today or tomorrow.  The BOT are meeting and they are running up on the end of McRobbie’s tenure.  Hopefully the new president will focus on academics and let Dolson keep doing his thing.  But I personally am interested in who gets hired and how that will impact all of IU.

Brad Stevens... obviously :)!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Any rumblings on candidates?  Who led the search?  Was it a committee of Faculty and possibly administrators?  

17 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Hopefully the new president views athletics as an enhancement that brings in additional income and attracts students to the university and not as a hinderance ala the last 2 decades.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Any rumblings on candidates?  Who led the search?  Was it a committee of Faculty and possibly administrators?  

I expect it to be external.  The few internal candidates I expected have stepped away and it sure seems to be pathing a path to someone from the outside coming in and setting their leadership.  This search has been very private.  I have heard more about who at IU is not getting it than who is a potential candidate.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I expect it to be external.  The few internal candidates I expected have stepped away and it sure seems to be pathing a path to someone from the outside coming in and setting their leadership.  This search has been very private.  I have heard more about who at IU is not getting it than who is a potential candidate.

It's not like they could do a lot worse than McRobbie.

Board of Trustees: "Hold my beer..."

• Haha 3