Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

One of my bosses shared this story with me a few days ago:

He lived in the dorm across the hall from Woody. When he was at home and mentioned it at a gathering, a kid heard and asked if he thought Woody would sign something for him. My boss got a basketball from the kid for Woody to sign. When he asked Woody to sign it, Woody said do you want me to take it to practice and have everyone sign it? Woody did so that kid got a ball signed by the entire 77 or 78 team.

I asked my boss if he was tempted to keep it!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I remember the VanArsdale twins. If my memory serves me correctly their lockers at Manual High School were retired and encased in plexiglass.

I guess I am an old fart.

Yeah, and Jon McGlocklin...I played pick up ball with his twin nephews, Jon and Don who both played on Franklin's 2 Final Four teams in 73 and 74...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rico said:

I am curious here.  How many on here actually remember Woody playing in an IU uniform?

Sure i remember.  After the 75 and 76 teams, Woody was the best IU player over the following four years.  He played from 1976 to 1980 and when he left he was the school's second leading all-time scorer to that point.  This was despite hurting himself and having back (disc) surgery in December 1979, right as his senior year started (Isiah's first year at IU).  He came back on Feb 14th 1980 and immediately scored 18 points and grabbed 5 rebounds against Iowa.  During the rest of the year he averaged 20 points per game and was then named Big 10 Player of the Year.  IU made it to the Sweet 16 that year before losing.   

Edited by IUguy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I may have been a toddler but I am pretty sure I remember Woodson and those old IU basketball teams.  I watched them on the old black and white TV while I played with my Star Wars and GI Joe action figures.  Pretty sure I had Woodson dunking on Chewbacca at one point off a sweet lob from Flint.

And that that right there just PISSED ME OFF, Ga-me Boy

70. Yes I remember him. Listened to IU ON the radio the year before Knight. My wedding gift from my father was an antenna with a  rotor so I could get channel 4. This was 1970. On my wedding night we spent the night locally,  ate white castle,  and watched IU vs Ky. Told her that game only happened once a year and we had years for the " other stuff".  Was never forgiven for that. Lol. My first game in person was the 1981. NCAA mid east finals at Assembly Hall. Remember Boston College and us but not the other 2 teams.

Edited by iamaparker1
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, and Jon McGlocklin...I played pick up ball with his twin nephews, Jon and Don who both played on Franklin's 2 Final Four teams in 73 and 74...

Jonny Mac ended up being a legend in Milwaukee.  I think he was on that original Bucks team.  But I do know he ended up as their color commentator forever and is very well known and beloved up there.  

9 hours ago, rico said:

I am curious here.  How many on here actually remember Woody playing in an IU uniform?

I started watching in 75 with my grandfather, got hook when Kent Benson gave me a team picture signed by every player of the 76 team, which i still have today. Never missed a game i could watch until this past season. So it was Woodson's teams that really hook me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rico said:

Graduated in '79. Remember the NIT champs. Fun to watch.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't now Coach Woodson shoot an awful lot of bank shots from the wing. I mean real "old school"

• Like 3