Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

10 hours ago, rico said:

I am curious here.  How many on here actually remember Woody playing in an IU uniform?

He was a member of one of Knight's big-time recruiting classes.  Before anyone says anything, I'm not calling them the best, greatest, or obviously most successful recruiting class.  But they were highly decorated coming out of high school.  It was coach Woodson, Indiana Mr. BB, Butch Carter, Mr. BB Ohio, Glen Grunwald, Mr. BB Illinois, plus Derek Holcomb All State Illinois and Mike Miday All State Ohio.  They looked formidable on paper.  Woodson was 6-5, Carter was 6-5, Grunwald was 6-9, Holcomb 6-11, Miday 6-8.  They were expecting great things from this group, but Grunwald blew out his knee, Carter struggled playing out on the perimeter, Miday couldn't handle Knight's coaching, Holcomb had foot issues.  It just never came together for this recruiting class.  But Mike Woodson lived up to his billing and had a tremendous career at IU.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mike Woodson was a gifted scorer. As noted above, he was part of a great recruiting class. He was not one of the most heralded, but it quickly became apparent that he was the best. As others have noted, he was Big 10 mvp after playing only 6 games. He had an incredible game at Illinois when he lit them up for 48. I haven’t run the numbers but I suspect that without the injury he may have been the all time leading scorer. He never had the three point basket but he was incredibly smooth. In my opinion he and Jay Edwards are two of the most underrated Hoosiers ever.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was 22 in 1992 so this makes me feel old.  I was actually in the same class as Cheaney and that freshman class.

I think it was @Seeking6 that mentioned the barnstorming tour. They came to the Hatchet House to play WHS silver anniversary team which steve bouchie was on. My dad refereed that game on my birthday and I got to hang out at halftime with those guys. 

Me and a friend were towel boys. I still have that towel. 

BTW my bday is Sunday, will be 36 this year. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jam said:

Mike Woodson was a gifted scorer. As noted above, he was part of a great recruiting class. He was not one of the most heralded, but it quickly became apparent that he was the best. As others have noted, he was Big 10 mvp after playing only 6 games. He had an incredible game at Illinois when he lit them up for 48. I haven’t run the numbers but I suspect that without the injury he may have been the all time leading scorer. He never had the three point basket but he was incredibly smooth. In my opinion he and Jay Edwards are two of the most underrated Hoosiers ever.

Sounds similar to Calbert trajectory.

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think it was @Seeking6 that mentioned the barnstorming tour. They came to the Hatchet House to play WHS silver anniversary team which steve bouchie was on. My dad refereed that game on my birthday and I got to hang out at halftime with those guys. 

Me and a friend were towel boys. I still have that towel. 

BTW my bday is Sunday, will be 36 this year. 

Happy Birthday

• Thanks 1

1531014320277.thumb.jpg.abcf30afd6e2987cad90c7beaab33e51.jpg

9 hours ago, cybergates said:

One of my bosses shared this story with me a few days ago:

He lived in the dorm across the hall from Woody. When he was at home and mentioned it at a gathering, a kid heard and asked if he thought Woody would sign something for him. My boss got a basketball from the kid for Woody to sign. When he asked Woody to sign it, Woody said do you want me to take it to practice and have everyone sign it? Woody did so that kid got a ball signed by the entire 77 or 78 team.

I asked my boss if he was tempted to keep it!

I am fortunate to possess the 1992 IU vs Duke final four game ball. My dad and uncle collaborated on a radio show game. My dad picked iu my uncle picked duke. My uncle won it in prediction of the final score. Both were IU fans. 

Anyway got the game ball and all the signatures from the team. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MSHoosier said:

Graduated in '79. Remember the NIT champs. Fun to watch.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't now Coach Woodson shoot an awful lot of bank shots from the wing. I mean real "old school"

Same class as you.

Your memory is perfect. Woodson was money off the glass. Forgotten art today, imo. 

Silky smooth before Wilkes from UCLA was Silk.

RMK stated that Glen Grunwald was the best player he ever recruited. Grunwald couldn’t meet those plaudits due to health issues. Woodson overcame his back problems and has to be way up there as far as players who exceeded their expectations 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Same class as you.

Your memory is perfect. Woodson was money off the glass. Forgotten art today, imo. 

Silky smooth before Wilkes from UCLA was Silk.

RMK stated that Glen Grunwald was the best player he ever recruited. Grunwald couldn’t meet those plaudits due to health issues. Woodson overcame his back problems and has to be way up there as far as players who exceeded their expectations 

Woodsen scored 2000+ points for IU. We are in good hands.  

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Woodsen scored 2000+ points for IU. We are in good hands.  

i'm feeling better about the hire for sure, but i think we all know that being a great player doesn't guarantee coaching success.  he was definitely a great player.  we'll see what kind of coach he is.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm feeling better about the hire for sure, but i think we all know that being a great player doesn't guarantee coaching success.  he was definitely a great player.  we'll see what kind of coach he is.  

I to am feeling much better about Coach Woodson! Love that he hired Fife. I am expecting a better and more fun team to watch. We need to be careful to not over expect great things next year. Losing Franklin was a big hit to our team. Hoping we can replace him with a good shooter either out of the Portal or JC route. 
I believe the biggest excitement for me is what we do moving forward. Let’s get a couple of recruited class, then we will have a true sense of who Coach Woodson is doing. I do believe it is very important that we a much better next year for him to get better recruits. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder if Woody will take advice from his former IU team mates?  Grunwald?  Former GM.  Wittman?  Carter?  Isiah?

Just my two cents. Since we only have a few weeks of information to go on my impression is Coach Woodson will and seek advice from any and all. No ego or concerns....just the common goal to get IU back to where we all want it to be. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Since we only have a few weeks of information to go on my impression is Coach Woodson will and seek advice from any and all. No ego or concerns....just the common goal to get IU back to where we all want it to be. 

I can hear RMK saying, "Michael, this what you should do..."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Probably the same kind of coach he was in the NBA: focused on player development.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Honest question here that maybe @BGleascan chime in on.

How long do NBA teams give a given player to develop?  

I think a lot goes into that. His salary / contract, what other options the team has at that position, etc. Some are going to be on a shorter timetable  while others may luck out and get more time due to circumstances- say the player they brought in for competition, or to replace, gets injured.

• Thanks 1