Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

On 4/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, IUJoe said:

Great article Joe.  Thanks.

Dolson clearly is thinking globally.  He's just not hiring a basketball coach, trotting him out there, and hoping for the best.  He's providing support with Motta and giving him the money to hire good coaches.  The Fife hire was brilliant for both basketball and non-basketball reasons.  Fife and CMW have a number of things in common, but one of the most important is that they both really love IU and want to spend the rest of their professional career at IU promoting not just IU basketball but IU.  This creates great synergy within the university, in the state of Indiana, and for IU alums outside of Indiana.  For example, CRMK was well known for his promotion of the IU Library.  This makes the basketball program just something you go to see on Thursdays and Saturdays (I'm dating myself).  But it's connected to what is very important to the university and the students.

There's a lot more to discuss here.  I liked to here from some of you especially marketing folks who actually know what they are talking about unlike me.

But when all is said and done Dolson, Woodson, and company have to win and win big to make it work.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 10:39 AM, btownqb said:

As of now... if you give Woodson's hire anything less than an "A" you are just purposely being negative. 

It's been great! All that is left is to do the developing and coaching...the final hurdle but obviously how this all comes together is the most important part. I'm not trying to compare but I'm sure people thought how could Memphis not be a tournament team given all the talent they assembled....I mean how super thrilled were we when Archie landed the Romeo/Hunter/Phinisee class. We've all had super high hopes to be dashed later so I'm tempering my expectations....but I do think this....no way we can be any worse then we were. Going in though my worries were recruiting mainly...so I must say I'm feeling pretty good about where we are. I'd just hate to be let down at this point....and even though I do believe we've upgraded almost across the board...I've over rated our talent before lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, slojoe said:

Great article Joe.  Thanks.

Dolson clearly is thinking globally.  He's just not hiring a basketball coach, trotting him out there, and hoping for the best.  He's providing support with Motta and giving him the money to hire good coaches.  The Fife hire was brilliant for both basketball and non-basketball reasons.  Fife and CMW have a number of things in common, but one of the most important is that they both really love IU and want to spend the rest of their professional career at IU promoting not just IU basketball but IU.  This creates great synergy within the university, in the state of Indiana, and for IU alums outside of Indiana.  For example, CRMK was well known for his promotion of the IU Library.  This makes the basketball program just something you go to see on Thursdays and Saturdays (I'm dating myself).  But it's connected to what is very important to the university and the students.

There's a lot more to discuss here.  I liked to here from some of you especially marketing folks who actually know what they are talking about unlike me.

But when all is said and done Dolson, Woodson, and company have to win and win big to make it work.

I agree with this take. I know nothing about marketing, but I know when it works on me. I also agree 100% that winning needs to follow. We will see next year, but winning programs have foundations. It seems we finally have one after 20 years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I agree with this take. I know nothing about marketing, but I know when it works on me. I also agree 100% that winning needs to follow. We will see next year, but winning programs have foundations. It seems we finally have one after 20 years.

Agreed. I'll also say this....probably a LOT of disenchanted alum, former players, admin that IU is able to bring back into the fold (support/$$/promotionally) because they feel they identify again with IU Basketball and the vision the school has. How many over the past 20 years just gave up donating their time and money because they were off put or upset their voices weren't being heard or the direction we were taking. I think at least for a time this brings the family back together....it will be up to Dolson and Woodson among others to KEEP it together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I wish Mile, Crester and Snowling were still with us. I would love to hear all of their comments on what has transpired. I miss all of them and think of them everyday. Great guys whose love for Indiana was off the charts. 

You are so so right, thought about Mile when Bates came onboard.

A question has Kopp officially signed because I am watching Indiana Sports Beat and they have Benny Sanders on there.  Bob Kravitz asked Benny about Kopp and he talked about him.  If it is not official he is not allowed to talk about a recruit personally.

Edited by IU Scott

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A question has Kopp officially signed because I am watching Indiana Sports Beat and they have Benny Sanders on there.  Bob Kravitz asked Benny about Kopp and he talked about him.  If it is not official he is not allowed to talk about a recruit personally.

What makes you think it’s not official?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

He's not a recruit, he is a transfer. 

• Like 1