Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

23 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Maybe not disrespect in most eyes but to me by turning down this job 3 different times at our all time low as a program and this coming from an INDIANA guy who was on record to say that coaching IU is a dream job?  We all know he has what it takes to hang #6, 7 & possibly 8 banners but for some reason keeps turning down the job and even more frustrating we keep reaching out to him each time is so frustrating.  $10 MIL per season could not convince him here and I can't get over why.

I'll help.

He wants to coach in the NBA. To turn down that money means he's pretty serious about his intentions. I don't think you can knock someone else choosing what they think is right for themselves. Clearly the money wasn't the motivating factor. The challenge of winning in the League is.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'll help.

He wants to coach in the NBA. To turn down that money means he's pretty serious about his intentions. I don't think you can knock someone else choosing what they think is right for themselves. Clearly the money wasn't the motivating factor. The challenge of winning in the League is.

Leading a blueblood back to the Championship that they have not done so in over 35yrs, in a state that you grew up in and was even a fan at one point would be priceless vs winning a Championship in the league that nobody cares about these days??  There has to be an underlying factor that BS hates IU for him to not make at least an attempt?  You can't tell me a college coach would rather lead men that could care less about him than a group of lads in his home state that would worship him from day one.  Its obvious that you are correct and he would rather chase that dream which makes me lose that much more respect for him and it tells me that he is not truly BornHoosier.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Leading a blueblood back to the Championship that they have not done so in over 35yrs, in a state that you grew up in and was even a fan at one point would be priceless vs winning a Championship in the league that nobody cares about these days??  There has to be an underlying factor that BS hates IU for him to not make at least an attempt?  You can't tell me a college coach would rather lead men that could care less about him than a group of lads in his home state that would worship him from day one.  Its obvious that you are correct and he would rather chase that dream which makes me lose that much more respect for him and it tells me that he is not truly BornHoosier.  

More people care about the NBA than college basketball, and it's not really even close. The main stream sports fan does not care about college basketball. Even the majority of sports media openly admits that they don't even watch college basketball until the tournament. 

Brad Stevens is at the pinnacle of his profession coaching one of the most iconic sports brands in the world. 

I love IU basketball, and even as a Celtics fan and former employee I was hoping Stevens would come to IU, but with that said Brad Stevens doesn't owe IU or IU fans anything. He made the decision that was best for him, and frankly the decision that 99% of the coaches in his position would have also made. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I actually sorta like the Bloomington, the Bedford stone or whatever the hell that is is weird, is there a connection to Indiana quarry wise?

Bloomington/Bedford  is the Limestone capital of the world...Campus is full of it.

Edited by HoosierJax
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, rico said:

Evidently you have never seen "Breaking Away?"

I think I'm going to have to watch that movie.  Started watching the tv show Modern Family and they had that movie playing in one of the episodes. 

There is even a conference room where I work named Breaking Away. 

Edited by mrflynn03

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think I'm going to have to watch that movie.  Started watching the tv show Modern Family and they had that movie playing in one of the episodes. 

There is even a conference room where I work named Breaking Away. 

Great movie.

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

There are so many head scratching assumptions here. Wow. A (billion dollar) league that nobody cares about? An NBA championship (the pinnacle of basketball) is meaningless? His NBA players don’t care about him? (We’ve seen enough clips this week about how much Woody’s players cared for him). BS hates IU? 

Brad Stevens owes you, I or this university absolutely nothing. IMO, the belief that he does owe us is the very definition of entitlement drenched in the juice of sour grapes. 

He considered it. Said no. And we got our man. Let’s move on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Woody is one smart cookie...

Just happens to go to a Knicks game...

Just happens to go out on the floor and meet players who love him...

Just happens there's someone nearby with a video recording device...

Just happens that the video makes it to twitter...

Think that won't impress a few 17-18 year old kids?

"See that, Jalen Washington?"

Yeah...but what happened there was all genuine on the players' side.  I think that Woodson is going to do really well recruiting these guys.  We have 3 really good set up assistants and then Woody comes in and deals the deal.

There is a real possibility that we may be looking back in 6 or 7 years wondering why the heck we did not give this a chance sooner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

More people care about the NBA than college basketball, and it's not really even close. The main stream sports fan does not care about college basketball. Even the majority of sports media openly admits that they don't even watch college basketball until the tournament. 

Brad Stevens is at the pinnacle of his profession coaching one of the most iconic sports brands in the world. 

I love IU basketball, and even as a Celtics fan and former employee I was hoping Stevens would come to IU, but with that said Brad Stevens doesn't owe IU or IU fans anything. He made the decision that was best for him, and frankly the decision that 99% of the coaches in his position would have also made. 

Just my two cents. Probably more difference in location  (city or not)...on the coasts or not....but I'd say out of my  couple dozen friends that I've known my entire life covering these states(IN, IL, WI, NY, FL, WA, CA)....I don't know one single person that seeks out a NBA game. Barely watch in playoffs.

Personally I just don't think Brad wanted to deal with recruiting anymore.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Maybe not disrespect in most eyes but to me by turning down this job 3 different times at our all time low as a program and this coming from an INDIANA guy who was on record to say that coaching IU is a dream job?  We all know he has what it takes to hang #6, 7 & possibly 8 banners but for some reason keeps turning down the job and even more frustrating we keep reaching out to him each time is so frustrating.  $10 MIL per season could not convince him here and I can't get over why.

At this point, who cares.

Boy wonder is not coming here and he was probably smart to turn down that offer because I don't think he would meet the expectations that salary would set.  I don't know if anyone could.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Probably more difference in location  (city or not)...on the coasts or not....but I'd say out of my  couple dozen friends that I've known my entire life covering these states(IN, IL, WI, NY, FL, WA, CA)....I don't know one single person that seeks out a NBA game. Barely watch in playoffs.

Personally I just don't think Brad wanted to deal with recruiting anymore.

I hear what you're saying, but the numbers bear it out. The NBA is immensely more popular than college basketball, and it's not really even close. 

That wasn't really the point in particular to Stevens, I was just addressing BornHoosier's statement that if Stevens won a NBA title that nobody would care about it. Way more people care about the NBA than college basketball...like in the tens millions of people. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying, but the numbers bear it out. The NBA is immensely more popular than college basketball, and it's not really even close. 

That wasn't really the point in particular to Stevens, I was just addressing BornHoosier's statement that if Stevens won a NBA title that nobody would care about it. Way more people care about the NBA than college basketball...like in the tens millions of people. 

Get it all day long on all accounts! It's just weird because I know you know the numbers....but maybe it's more regional or maybe it's other things but I just don't know many NBA fans. Of course if the Pacers ever made a commitment to winning I'd probably ramp it up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We have several of us on this board that care more about NBA basketball, we jus happen to be huge IU fans. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know the NBA #s have been dropping.  Still believe its more popular than college but I wonder if that gap is closing? Obviously there are NBA towns and college towns. NBA has the advantage in that all the big cities / tv markets  have an NBA presence.