Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I know the NBA #s have been dropping.  Still believe its more popular than college but I wonder if that gap is closing? Obviously there are NBA towns and college towns. NBA has the advantage in that all the big cities / tv markets  have an NBA presence.  

I would be curious as to the attendance numbers as well.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Probably more difference in location  (city or not)...on the coasts or not....but I'd say out of my  couple dozen friends that I've known my entire life covering these states(IN, IL, WI, NY, FL, WA, CA)....I don't know one single person that seeks out a NBA game. Barely watch in playoffs.

Personally I just don't think Brad wanted to deal with recruiting anymore.

I really never watch an NBA game unless it is the Pacers and I even have trouble watching them.  I also think it is an age thing and and maybe a racial thing on who likes the NBA over the college game.  I think the younger people going up to 30 years old probably likes the NBA over the college game.

• Like 2

I think it’s easy to get the perception that CBB is more popular that NBA if you live in Indiana where we have two storied programs like IU and Purdue. But think about the major markets. Growing up in Chicago I didn’t come across many college basketball fans. People only seemed to be CBB fans in March because they participated in their work tournament pools. Of course it was the golden era of the Bulls back then but it’s not that much different now. Think about LA, NY, Boston, Miami, etc. I’m pretty sure each of those teams has way more fans than St. John, BC, Miami U, etc. I’d guess that the Lakers and Clippers are followed more closely than even UCLA.  

And then you have the global appeal of the NBA which is on a completely different level. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think it’s easy to get the perception that CBB is more popular that NBA if you live in Indiana where we have two storied programs like IU and Purdue. But think about the major markets. Growing up in Chicago I didn’t come across many college basketball fans. People only seemed to be CBB fans in March because they participated in their work tournament pools. Of course it was the golden era of the Bulls back then but it’s not that much different now. Think about LA, NY, Boston, Miami, etc. I’m pretty sure each of those teams has way more fans than St. John, BC, Miami U, etc. I’d guess that the Lakers and Clippers are followed more closely than even UCLA.  

And then you have the global appeal of the NBA which is on a completely different level. 

Agree with you about Chicago.

Wish I knew where to find the image of the kid in Africa wearing the Kentucky 40-0 shirt to prove you wring about the global appeal of the NBA :D

• Haha 2

Do many people care about the NBA? Simple economics point to yes.

Good but not great NBA players couldn't make $40M/yr if no one cared about the NBA. 

The NCAA is popular but not nearly as popular. The B1G disbursement to the schools is ~$50M. That includes revenue from all sports, not just basketball. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying, but the numbers bear it out. The NBA is immensely more popular than college basketball, and it's not really even close. 

That wasn't really the point in particular to Stevens, I was just addressing BornHoosier's statement that if Stevens won a NBA title that nobody would care about it. Way more people care about the NBA than college basketball...like in the tens millions of people. 

see, it's weird because i'm sure you're not making it up, but i do know a lot of people like we all do, and i'm really hard pressed to name someone who is into the NBA.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

New coach...new look.

Screenshot_20210424-082755_Twitter~2.jpg

i absolutely hate this.  big fan of tradition.  big fan of having INDIANA on the front.  trying to think of another school that has their city on the front.  it kind of makes me think we have to advertise we are IU - Bloomington instead of IU Kokomo or something?  hate it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

To piggyback off your post, people need to step outside of their bubble in this discussion. It's not about your immediate circle of 5 friends or the couple neighbors you have a beer with after mowing the lawn. The NBA is vastly more popular than college basketball. 

Millions of people watch the NCAA Tournament, but hardly anyone watches regular season college basketball. It barely registers in the TV ratings. The general sports fan, or even the general basketball fan, doesn't know who the players in college basketball are. Most general fans will recognize very few names if they were to watch the NBA Draft. Nobody in Lithuania cares about the Gavitt Games or any college basketball.  

The NBA is massive on a global scale. People all over the world know who the NBA players are. NBA players get mobbed when they go abroad. Do you think anyone in a foreign country would even know who Trayce Jackson Davis is? 

The Final Four does do similar TV numbers to the NBA Finals, but again the regular college basketball season barely registers. Even popular, well-known sports reporters acknowledge that they don't watch college basketball until late February. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To piggyback off your post, people need to step outside of their bubble in this discussion. It's not about your immediate circle of 5 friends or the couple neighbors you have a beer with after mowing the lawn. The NBA is vastly more popular than college basketball. 

Millions of people watch the NCAA Tournament, but hardly anyone watches regular season college basketball. It barely registers in the TV ratings. The general sports fan, or even the general basketball fan, doesn't know who the players in college basketball are. Most general fans will recognize very few names if they were to watch the NBA Draft. Nobody in Lithuania cares about the Gavitt Games or any college basketball.  

The NBA is massive on a global scale. People all over the world know who the NBA players are. NBA players get mobbed when they go abroad. Do you think anyone in a foreign country would even know who Trayce Jackson Davis is? 

The Final Four does do similar TV numbers to the NBA Finals, but again the regular college basketball season barely registers. Even popular, well-known sports reporters acknowledge that they don't watch college basketball until late February. 

Not to be rude but who the hell cares what people in Luthiana watches.  I would guess people that lives in larger cities where they have NBA teams are why the ratings are higher

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Not to be rude but who the hell cares what people in Luthiana watches.  I would guess people that lives in larger cities where they have NBA teams are why the ratings are higher

The ratings are higher because more people watch it, hence it's more popular. Many regular season college basketball games literally get a 0.0 to 0.1 TV rating. 

Just now, BGleas said:

The ratings are higher because more people watch it, hence it's more popular. Many regular season college basketball games literally get a 0.0 to 0.1 TV rating. 

I know that but it comes from the largest cities.  I don't really care who had higher ratings because all I care about is my preference.  I truly have tried to watch NBA games besides the Pacers but just can't get into the NBA game.  Even though I know the quality of the college game is not what not use to be but I still will take it over the NBA game.  To me basketball is just not about watching the best players or athletes playing the game because to me it is about a lot more than that

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying, but the numbers bear it out. The NBA is immensely more popular than college basketball, and it's not really even close. 

That wasn't really the point in particular to Stevens, I was just addressing BornHoosier's statement that if Stevens won a NBA title that nobody would care about it. Way more people care about the NBA than college basketball...like in the tens millions of people. 

What numbers are you talking about?  Many of my friends wAtch lithle NBA.  Maybe some playoff games.  Most of them are sick of the big Ego’s and social justice stuff.  

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

I know that but it comes from the largest cities.  I don't really care who had higher ratings because all I care about is my preference.  I truly have tried to watch NBA games besides the Pacers but just can't get into the NBA game.  Even though I know the quality of the college game is not what not use to be but I still will take it over the NBA game.  To me basketball is just not about watching the best players or athletes playing the game because to me it is about a lot more than that

Honestly, Scott...Why even chime in on the discussion if all you care about is your own habits? You're one of 6-8 billion people. When discussing which is more popular between the NBA and college basketball your individual viewing habits are irrelevant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John S said:

What numbers are you talking about?  Many of my friends wAtch lithle NBA.  Maybe some playoff games.  Most of them are sick of the big Ego’s and social justice stuff.  

We're talking about the popularity of the sports, not the viewing habits of you and a few of your buddies. 

Literally almost nobody watches regular season college basketball games. 

From just one article:

While the NCAA Tournament has undergone a recent resurgence, the same cannot be said for the regular season. The overwhelming majority of college basketball regular season games barely registered in the ratings, with nearly 60 percent earning a rating of 0.0 or 0.1 . More than three-quarters of the games had a rating of 0.5 or lower.

Of the 979 regular season games examined by Sports Media Watch (excludes seven games for which ratings were unavailable), only 25 had a rating of 1.5 or higher. That includes both Duke/North Carolina games and the Big Ten Tournament title game, each of which had a season-high 2.6.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i absolutely hate this.  big fan of tradition.  big fan of having INDIANA on the front.  trying to think of another school that has their city on the front.  it kind of makes me think we have to advertise we are IU - Bloomington instead of IU Kokomo or something?  hate it.  

I agree, its like the camo stuff. At least they only wear it a game or two. Purdue should do this so people know where they are.

• Haha 2

I get that most of you are college basketball fans. I am too, while also being an NBA fan. But if we're going to discuss this, and I'm fine to drop if we don't want to discuss it, but for the love of god can we stop with the "but me and my 3 friends don't care about the NBA so it can't be popular" posts?? Please!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear you.  But I think its apples vs oranges.   Mainstream media loves publicizing NBA stuff, partly because of racial issues in the news.  To me, that isnt what draws true basketball fans to watch games.  Those prople in foreign are interested partially to see a few suprr stArs, and what shoes etc they wear.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I get that most of you are college basketball fans. I am too, while also being an NBA fan. But if we're going to discuss this, and I'm fine to drop if we don't want to discuss it, but for the love of god can we stop with the "but me and my 3 friends don't care about the NBA so it can't be popular" posts?? Please!!

oK.  But then cite your numbers.   I doubt you include on the college side all fans attending all D1, D2, D3 games in person.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This seems like a perfectly logical request, given the facts presented.  But, me and all my friends can't stand multiple exclamation points.  So... nah

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're talking about the popularity of the sports, not the viewing habits of you and a few of your buddies. 

Literally almost nobody watches regular season college basketball games. 

From just one article:

While the NCAA Tournament has undergone a recent resurgence, the same cannot be said for the regular season. The overwhelming majority of college basketball regular season games barely registered in the ratings, with nearly 60 percent earning a rating of 0.0 or 0.1 . More than three-quarters of the games had a rating of 0.5 or lower.

Of the 979 regular season games examined by Sports Media Watch (excludes seven games for which ratings were unavailable), only 25 had a rating of 1.5 or higher. That includes both Duke/North Carolina games and the Big Ten Tournament title game, each of which had a season-high 2.6.

Also there are so many more college games on TV than there NBA games which will lower the overall ratings.  Is there numbers for just the primetime games on from power conferences.

• Like 1

Just now, John S said:

I hear you.  But I think its apples vs oranges.   Mainstream media loves publicizing NBA stuff, partly because of racial issues in the news.  To me, that isnt what draws true basketball fans to watch games.  Those prople in foreign are interested partially to see a few suprr stArs, and what shoes etc they wear.   

Racial issues have nothing to do with it. The mainstream media publicizes what's popular and what gets eyeballs, that's why sports media is largely about the NFL, NBA and college football. Those are the sports that the masses care about.

There's a reason sports radio nationally, not in any one specific market, is talking about NBA free agency in July, but is not talking about the college basketball transfer portal in April. 

The NBA has been more popular than college basketball for at least 30 years if not longer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John S said:

No, they publicize NBA stuff because the NBA is popular and people want to hear about it. Because of that popularity it's a bigger deal if the players, teams, or the league itself takes a stance on some issue. Even if they don't, the NBA would still be talked about because it's popular.

• Like 1