Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To piggyback off your post, people need to step outside of their bubble in this discussion. It's not about your immediate circle of 5 friends or the couple neighbors you have a beer with after mowing the lawn. The NBA is vastly more popular than college basketball. 

Millions of people watch the NCAA Tournament, but hardly anyone watches regular season college basketball. It barely registers in the TV ratings. The general sports fan, or even the general basketball fan, doesn't know who the players in college basketball are. Most general fans will recognize very few names if they were to watch the NBA Draft. Nobody in Lithuania cares about the Gavitt Games or any college basketball.  

The NBA is massive on a global scale. People all over the world know who the NBA players are. NBA players get mobbed when they go abroad. Do you think anyone in a foreign country would even know who Trayce Jackson Davis is? 

The Final Four does do similar TV numbers to the NBA Finals, but again the regular college basketball season barely registers. Even popular, well-known sports reporters acknowledge that they don't watch college basketball until late February. 

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/06/clearing-up-some-confusion-about-basketball-tv-ratings/

https://www.quora.com/Is-college-basketball-more-popular-than-the-NBA-in-some-parts-of-the-USA

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Racial issues have nothing to do with it. The mainstream media publicizes what's popular and what gets eyeballs, that's why sports media is largely about the NFL, NBA and college football. Those are the sports that the masses care about.

There's a reason sports radio nationally, not in any one specific market, is talking about NBA free agency in July, but is not talking about the college basketball transfer portal in April. 

The NBA has been more popular than college basketball for at least 30 years if not longer. 

To each his own.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I get that most of you are college basketball fans. I am too, while also being an NBA fan. But if we're going to discuss this, and I'm fine to drop if we don't want to discuss it, but for the love of god can we stop with the "but me and my 3 friends don't care about the NBA so it can't be popular" posts?? Please!!

The NBA is very popular with people who don't know basketball. :coffee:😄I kid. I used to have use of a box and 4 floor seats at Pacer games. I took my brother to his first NBA game and all kept saying was I wish they would shut that damn music off so I can hear the players talk and hear how they play the game. Made since until the first player yelled F@#$ and an 8 year old near us said dad what did he say.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thanks for sharing those links. Of course there are going to be markets where college is more popular, as there are markets where college football is more popular than the NFL. Not every market is the same of course. 

Globally and nationally the NFL and NBA are more popular than their college counterparts (though I do believe college football might outpace the NBA). 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

More people care about the NBA than college basketball, and it's not really even close. The main stream sports fan does not care about college basketball. Even the majority of sports media openly admits that they don't even watch college basketball until the tournament. 

Brad Stevens is at the pinnacle of his profession coaching one of the most iconic sports brands in the world. 

I love IU basketball, and even as a Celtics fan and former employee I was hoping Stevens would come to IU, but with that said Brad Stevens doesn't owe IU or IU fans anything. He made the decision that was best for him, and frankly the decision that 99% of the coaches in his position would have also made. 

If you talked to basketball fans in DC Balt area, many have no interest ( who cares abiut Wizards?).  Many more follow ACC, Big East bb.  They have a lot of interest in the college careers of local. star High School players 

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What I liked about the second article when talking about the state of Indiana it did not mention Purdue but did Butler and ISU

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John S said:

If you talked to basketball fans in DC Balt area, many have no interest ( who cares abiut Wizards?).  Many more follow ACC, Big East bb.  They have a lot of interest in the college careers of local. star High School players 

Do you have stats on that? 

@BGleas You might be my favorite poster on this side. Every time you post it’s just straight facts. 

The NBA is unfathomably more popular than College Basketball, and it’s really not close at all. I’m a fan of both and I can see why people prefer one over the other, but it’s just so painfully obvious which one is more popular to an extent that even arguing about it is asinine. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I think it’s easy to get the perception that CBB is more popular that NBA if you live in Indiana where we have two storied programs like IU and Purdue. But think about the major markets. Growing up in Chicago I didn’t come across many college basketball fans. People only seemed to be CBB fans in March because they participated in their work tournament pools. Of course it was the golden era of the Bulls back then but it’s not that much different now. Think about LA, NY, Boston, Miami, etc. I’m pretty sure each of those teams has way more fans than St. John, BC, Miami U, etc. I’d guess that the Lakers and Clippers are followed more closely than even UCLA.  

And then you have the global appeal of the NBA which is on a completely different level. 

On the other side, consider low interest in NBA cities like Wash Wizards, Minn Twolves, Atl Hawks, Charl Hornets, NO Pelicans and more.  

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

@BGleas You might be my favorite poster on this side. Every time you post it’s just straight facts. 

The NBA is unfathomably more popular than College Basketball, and it’s really not close at all. I’m a fan of both and I can see why people prefer one over the other, but it’s just so painfully obvious which one is more popular to an extent that even arguing about it is asinine. 

Thank you!!

I'm honestly stunned that were even having this discussion as if it's real or even close. Nationally and globally the NBA is infinitely more popular. It's arguably (depending on the data being used) the 2nd most popular sport in the US behind the NFL, and it's certainly more popular than college basketball globally. 

A defense of college basketball in this discussion isn't simply, "I don't like the NBA". 

• Like 2

I guess I don't remember what started this debate but if you want to talk about the NBA there is a NBA board.  This board is about about IU and college basketball.  I don't care about what is more popular world wide or what is more popular around the country.  What I know is that people who are  on this board prefers the college game.  I would also say take out all of the NBA cities which is 30 and are the largest cities I would say that college basketball would rank higher.  I still say that the younger generation and people from the inner cities are the people who perfer the NBA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John S said:

On the other side, consider low interest in NBA cities like Wash Wizards, Minn Twolves, Atl Hawks, Charl Hornets, NO Pelicans and more.  

Yet they still outdraw in terms of popularity Georgetown basketball, Minnesota Gophers basketball, Georgia Tech basketball or LSU basketball. Duke/UNC compared to the Hornets might be the only one that college basketball wins. 

Who do you think more people know, buy merchandise, etc. in comparison, Bradley Beal or the best player on UMD? Karl Anthony Townes or the best player on the University of Minnesota? Zion Williamson or whoever plays for LSU (I can't even come up with a name)? Trey Young or any player on Georgia Tech?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't remember what started this debate but if you want to talk about the NBA there is a NBA board.  This board is about about IU and college basketball.  I don't care about what is more popular world wide or what is more popular around the country.  What I know is that people who are  on this board prefers the college game.  I would also say take out all of the NBA cities which is 30 and are the largest cities I would say that college basketball would rank higher.  I still say that the younger generation and people from the inner cities are the people who perfer the NBA

Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Did you just say, "take out all of the cities where the NBA is most popular, and then it probably isn't more popular?"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

No, they publicize NBA stuff because the NBA is popular and people want to hear about it. Because of that popularity it's a bigger deal if the players, teams, or the league itself takes a stance on some issue. Even if they don't, the NBA would still be talked about because it's popular.

Dont ignore former fans that finally quit on the NBA because of social justice messages on  jerseys, floors, signs, etc.  Tired of hearing highly paid people complain about problems in USA(where they make their $$$$).  

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Did you just say, "take out all of the cities where the NBA is most popular, and then it probably isn't more popular?"

I said take out the Cities that has NBA teams which is only 30 cities and I think the rest of the country would prefer the college game.  I still say that people 30 and younger and the people from the inner cities is the ones that perfets the NBA.  I would say that older white men like myself perfets the college game.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not to be rude but who the hell cares what people in Luthiana watches.  I would guess people that lives in larger cities where they have NBA teams are why the ratings are higher

It would be just as easy to ask who the hell cares what someone in Knightstown, Indiana watches?

The NBA has higher ratings because they have a better product and have better marketing for that product. 

1 minute ago, John S said:

Dont ignore former fans that finally quit on the NBA because of social justice messages on  jerseys, floors, signs, etc.  Tired of hearing highly paid people complain about problems in USA(where they make their $$$$).  

I watched a lot of the NBA growing up but stopped watching it around 2000 when I thought it stopped being real fundamental basketball.  The problem is now for some reason nthe college game is trying to imitate the NBA game which is not what I want to see

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I said take out the Cities that has NBA teams which is only 30 cities and I think the rest of the country would prefer the college game.  I still say that people 30 and younger and the people from the inner cities is the ones that perfets the NBA.  I would say that older white men like myself perfets the college game.

So that is what you said. I'd bet if you took every college basketball fan out of the discussion that the NBA would be even more popular in comparison...

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It would be just as easy to ask who the hell cares what someone in Knightstown, Indiana watches?

The NBA has higher ratings because they have a better product and have better marketing for that product. 

Well I don't live in Knightstown and never lived in that town

3 minutes ago, John S said:

What do you accept?   Sounds like TV viewership in major markets is your answer only.   

Major market viewership is kind of what drives things. It's where the masses of the population lives, hence how popularity is measured. But, and I'll have to go back and reread the excerpt I posted, but I don't think it was specific to just major markets, I think it was overall viewership. 

It's certainly better data than anecdotal comments about "most people in DC". 

Edit: We could measure in revenue instead, where the NBA also wins. 

• Like 1