Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

To piggyback off your post, people need to step outside of their bubble in this discussion. It's not about your immediate circle of 5 friends or the couple neighbors you have a beer with after mowing the lawn. The NBA is vastly more popular than college basketball. 

Millions of people watch the NCAA Tournament, but hardly anyone watches regular season college basketball. It barely registers in the TV ratings. The general sports fan, or even the general basketball fan, doesn't know who the players in college basketball are. Most general fans will recognize very few names if they were to watch the NBA Draft. Nobody in Lithuania cares about the Gavitt Games or any college basketball.  

The NBA is massive on a global scale. People all over the world know who the NBA players are. NBA players get mobbed when they go abroad. Do you think anyone in a foreign country would even know who Trayce Jackson Davis is? 

The Final Four does do similar TV numbers to the NBA Finals, but again the regular college basketball season barely registers. Even popular, well-known sports reporters acknowledge that they don't watch college basketball until late February. 

again i get your post and am sure you're right, but a little much to say your 5 beer drinking buddies.  i'm talking literally everyone i know personally, professionally, on social media, you name it.  none of them have any interest in the NBA.  it seems to be getting even more so with all of their focus on politics.  sure globally it makes sense what you are saying.  i do (for once) agree with Scott.  i'm sure age and race does make a difference in this argument and the ratings.   

• Like 1

with the focus on politics, constantly changing rules, "look at me" attitude, jumping from team to team, load management, selfish basketball, i'd honestly have a tough time deciding between watching frogs making love or the NBA if i would be forced to watch one.  i know where Coach Knight stands with that, but i'd be a little torn.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

again i get your post and am sure you're right, but a little much to say your 5 beer drinking buddies.  i'm talking literally everyone i know personally, professionally, on social media, you name it.  none of them have any interest in the NBA.  it seems to be getting even more so with all of their focus on politics.  sure globally it makes sense what you are saying.  i do (for once) agree with Scott.  i'm sure age and race does make a difference in this argument and the ratings.   

I just saw that ESPN was having an NBA double header and I had no clue.  I have been watching the Reds and Cardinal game and watched ridiculousness on MTV over the Bucks and 76ers.

Edited by IU Scott

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't remember what started this debate but if you want to talk about the NBA there is a NBA board.  This board is about about IU and college basketball.  I don't care about what is more popular world wide or what is more popular around the country.  What I know is that people who are  on this board prefers the college game.  I would also say take out all of the NBA cities which is 30 and are the largest cities I would say that college basketball would rank higher.  I still say that the younger generation and people from the inner cities are the people who perfer the NBA

You mean to tell me that the majority of people who post on a forum for a college basketball team tend to prefer college basketball to the NBA? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

That's a sampling error and doesn't correctly show the opinions of the population as a whole.

Scott, we get it that you love IU and nothing else. You also don't care what other people like. We get it. You say it over and over.

"I would also say take out all of the NBA cities which is 30 and are the largest cities I would say that college basketball would rank higher."

lol, what? That is a ridiculous argument. It's like saying, "If you don't count anyone from Indiana or anyone who attended IU you'll see IU isn't very popular."

The NBA is very popular. More popular than the NCAA. It's just the fact of the matter. That doesn't mean NCAA basketball isn't popular, it obviously is. Just not as popular as the NBA. 

It's funny, you yourself often complain on these boards about how ugly college basketball can be at times and then act surprised and offended when someone suggests it's not the most popular thing in the world.

That last sentence.... wow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

You mean to tell me that the majority of people who post on a forum for a college basketball team tend to prefer college basketball to the NBA? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

That's a sampling error and doesn't correctly show the opinions of the population as a whole.

Scott, we get it that you love IU and nothing else. You also don't care what other people like. We get it. You say it over and over.

"I would also say take out all of the NBA cities which is 30 and are the largest cities I would say that college basketball would rank higher."

lol, what? That is a ridiculous argument. It's like saying, "If you don't count anyone from Indiana or anyone who attended IU you'll see IU isn't very popular."

The NBA is very popular. More popular than the NCAA. It's just the fact of the matter. That doesn't mean NCAA basketball isn't popular, it obviously is. Just not as popular as the NBA. 

It's funny, you yourself often complain on these boards about how ugly college basketball can be at times and then act surprised and offended when someone suggests it's not the most popular thing in the world.

That last sentence.... wow.

Even with how ugly the college game can be it is still better than the NBA to me.  Also I said I couldn't care less if the NBA is more popular or has bigger viewerships because it is not important.

I also find it funny that the NBA fans get so butt hurt when people don't agree with them about how great the NBA is.

What is wrong about the last sentence because it is true

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I dont really believe that literally everyone you know has no interest in the NBA. Regardless, your social, personal and professional network is still an incredibly small subset of the population (as is mine).

You also live in NC (I think I'm right there?) and ill assume you're from Indiana, so a lot of your network is going to be from two of the very few markets that are more into college basketball than the NBA. (I realize I'm making some assumptions there). 

It's just a fact though that the NBA is more popular overall. 

I also don't think it has anything to do with age or race. Most of the people at NBA games are older white people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

While I think the NBA is a terrible product anymore, it will always be more popular. Superstars  bring in ratings and money so that will always put them at the top. College basketball is more regional so it will be more popular in certain areas.

I disagree about the product on the court. 

But with that said we can disagree on that as its certainly personal preference, but I appreciate that you can also acknowledge that nationally and globally the NBA is more popular despite your personal opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I said take out the Cities that has NBA teams which is only 30 cities and I think the rest of the country would prefer the college game.  I still say that people 30 and younger and the people from the inner cities is the ones that perfets the NBA.  I would say that older white men like myself perfets the college game.

You are underestimating how old and white @BGleas is.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I dont really believe that literally everyone you know has no interest in the NBA. Regardless, your social, personal and professional network is still an incredibly small subset of the population (as is mine).

You also live in NC (I think I'm right there?) and ill assume you're from Indiana, so a lot of your network is going to be from two of the very few markets that are more into college basketball than the NBA. (I realize I'm making some assumptions there). 

It's just a fact though that the NBA is more popular overall. 

I also don't think it has anything to do with age or race. Most of the people at NBA games are older white people. 

Why does it bother you so much when people doesn't have the same viewpoint you have towards the NBA.  Yes we know it is more popular throughout the country and globally but who cares.  Again why is this even being debated in a thread about Mike Woodson who is the IU coach.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Why does it bother you so much when people doesn't have the same viewpoint you have towards the NBA.  Yes we know it is more popular throughout the country and globally but who cares.  Again why is this even being debated in a thread about Mike Woodson who is the IU coach.

Scott, I love you man. Really. But he is NOT arguing which is better. He is saying the NBA game appeals to a wider audience. I think you are debating two different things.

• Like 4

I feel like some of the disagreement here about if the NBA or CBB is better isn't truly about which one is better/more popular (because that answer is abundantly clear), but is instead a thinly veiled argument about other things.  That's a bit depressing.

edit: better as in better level of talent, not necessarily a better viewing experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Scott, I love you man. Really. But he is NOT arguing which is better. He is saying the NBA game appeals to a wider audience. I think you are debating two different things.

I said I know it is more popular but again why is this a debate on a college basketball thread about the IU coach

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't even know what you're talking about? The discussion was what is more popular, the NBA or college basketball. It was a discussion being had on a message board. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I disagree about the product on the court. 

But with that said we can disagree on that as its certainly personal preference, but I appreciate that you can also acknowledge that nationally and globally the NBA is more popular despite your personal opinion. 

I used to watch the NBA all the time but it just doesn't interest anymore me to watch teams dribble the ball around the perimeter and throw up 30 three point shots a game. But like you said it is personal preference.

The thing is you take away the Superstars, something that college basketball doesn't have time to turn them into, the NBA wouldn't be more popular.

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

I used to watch the NBA all the time but it just doesn't interest anymore me to watch teams dribble the ball around the perimeter and throw up 30 three point shots a game. But like you said it is personal preference.

The thing is you take away the Superstars, something that college basketball doesn't have time to turn them into, the NBA wouldn't be more popular.

I love both. I love the NBA because it's the most skilled and talented basketball in the world. I love college for the pageantry and atmosphere. 

As far as the actual game on the court, I think college basketball is actually pretty awful. It's tough watching teams struggle to shoot 40% and score 60 points. 

I don't know that I agree with your last paragraph. Remember that decade when the best players were all going straight from high school to the NBA? The college game really struggled with mass appeal during that era until the one and done rule came in. College basketball needs stars too, as even a guy like Zion brought millions of eyeballs to the game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't even know what you're talking about? The discussion was what is more popular, the NBA or college basketball. It was a discussion being had on a message board. 

Well we have a NBA thread about the NBA so why not discuss that on that thread.  We know you worked for the Celtics and likes the NBA which is fine but this is an IU board.  Most on here perfers  the college game and will view it as the better game.  We don't care if more people like the NBA because it doesn't matter to us.