Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well we have a NBA thread about the NBA so why not discuss that on that thread.  We know you worked for the Celtics and likes the NBA which is fine but this is an IU board.  Most on here perfers  the college game and will view it as the better game.  We don't care if more people like the NBA because it doesn't matter to us.

I also played college basketball so I love that game too. Why not just stay out of the conversation then? For someone that doesn't care, you've been pretty outspoken and immersed in the discussion. 

We're having a conversation about national and global appeal of the games, and you chime in that your singular viewing preference is all that matters to you. So why even join the conversation? Just ignore it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

edit: better as in better level of talent, not necessarily a better viewing experience.

Really don’t like the NBA anymore (did in the 90s and before) except for DFS purposes 😄......but I can agree with this sentence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I also played college basketball so I love that game too. Why not just stay out of the conversation then? For someone that doesn't care, you've been pretty outspoken and immersed in the discussion. 

We're having a conversation about national and global appeal of the games, and you chime in that your singular viewing preference is all that matters to you. So why even join the conversation? Just ignore it. 

It is like the election you can win the popular vote but not win the election.  Viewerships for the NBA gets the advantage because most of the teams come from the biggest cities so they will have the larger viewership.  I also say with so many more college games on during the week will lower the overall ratings.  I would bet if you take the top college games and those ratings are probably are closer to the NBA ratings.  In the NBA you will see the same 6-8 teams in every national broadcast and that inflates the ratings.  If you were showing more teams like Sacramento and Charlotte I bet the ratings would be down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I love both. I love the NBA because it's the most skilled and talented basketball in the world. I love college for the pageantry and atmosphere. 

As far as the actual game on the court, I think college basketball is actually pretty awful. It's tough watching teams struggle to shoot 40% and score 60 points. 

I don't know that I agree with your last paragraph. Remember that decade when the best players were all going straight from high school to the NBA? The college game really struggled with mass appeal during that era until the one and done rule came in. College basketball needs stars too, as even a guy like Zion brought millions of eyeballs to the game. 

College basketball definitely needs stars, but it is more team driven then Superstar driven. How many fans of Lebron KD or Kwahi and PG have followed them from team to team. The NBA will always be star driven while college ball will be team driven. One is globally, because of the stars, and the other is regional because of the teams.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

College basketball definitely needs stars, but it is more team driven then Superstar driven. How many fans of Lebron KD or Kwahi and PG have followed them from team to team. The NBA will always be star driven while college ball will be team driven. One is globally, because of the stars, and the other is regional because of the teams.

Agree to a certain extent and generally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Also the college game is about coaches and the name on the front of the jersey.  Players come and go but if successful coaches stay for the long run.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

College basketball is team driven in that people who watch regularly are generally loyal to a team because they either went to that university or have some other tie. If you're saying they play better team basketball, well, assist numbers and the way defense is played at each level certainly contradict that point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

College basketball is team driven in that people who watch regularly are generally loyal to a team because they either went to that university or have some other tie. If you're saying they play better team basketball, well, assist numbers and the way defense is played at each level certainly contradict that point. 

Well the definition of an assist is totally different in the NBA than college.  In the NBA you can pass it to a player and if he scores it is an assist no matter how many dribbles he takes.

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If you're saying they play better team basketball, well, assist numbers and the way defense is played at each level certainly contradict that point. 

We were talking about popularity, not with how they are played.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well the definition of an assist is totally different in the NBA than college.  In the NBA you can pass it to a player and if he scores it is an assist no matter how many dribbles he takes.

Unless they've changed the rule recently, that is not true. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Unless they've changed the rule recently, that is not true. 

Earlier this year I saw a guy pass the ball to someone at half court and he dribbled in and hit a 3 and they gave him an assist.  With 8 more minutes and a more lenient assist definition is why you see more assist in the NBA.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Earlier this year I saw a guy pass the ball to someone at half court and he dribbled in and hit a 3 and they gave him an assist.  With 8 more minutes and a more lenient assist definition is why you see more assist in the NBA.

It is more lenient, and again its been over a decade, but I was the Celtics score keeper for a season as part of ky duties during the game, and the rule was assists on two dribbles or less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is more lenient, and again its been over a decade, but I was the Celtics score keeper for a season as part of ky duties during the game, and the rule was assists on two dribbles or less. 

How the NBA is getting Assists wrong (thejumpball.net)

Also you might be the one to answer this NBA question.  With the new play in games for the playoffs are the teams who lose in the play in game still in the lottery or are they considered playoff teams.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How the NBA is getting Assists wrong (thejumpball.net)

Also you might be the one to answer this NBA question.  With the new play in games for the playoffs are the teams who lose in the play in game still in the lottery or are they considered playoff teams.

Is the argument that we don't see equally generous assists given out in college? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Even with how ugly the college game can be it is still better than the NBA to me.  Also I said I couldn't care less if the NBA is more popular or has bigger viewerships because it is not important.

I also find it funny that the NBA fans get so butt hurt when people don't agree with them about how great the NBA is.

What is wrong about the last sentence because it is true

You mistake me for an NBA fan. I rarely watch until the playoffs and even watching the playoffs I don't do often. However, that doesn't blind me to the fact that the NBA is much more popular than college ball.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes

Well I don't buy that the same lenient scoring is happening in college nor do I think a three year old obscure article with a few anecdotal examples shows a real problem. 

Typically pro sports are less lenient with their official scoring than amateur sports. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Well I don't buy that the same lenient scoring is happening in college nor do I think a three year old obscure article with a few anecdotal examples shows a real problem. 

Typically pro sports are less lenient with their official scoring than amateur sports. 

It has been that way for years.  Also in the NBA you are playing 8 more minutes a game and have a 24 second shot clock.  Do you really think Scott Skiles actually had 30 assist in that game.  I use to watch a lot of NBA and was a huge Magic Johnson fan but know he was given a lot of assist that wouldn't have been one in college.  I am saying that the scorers in college goes more by the book than does the NBA. I have heard in the MLB where players will call the official scorer to dispute an error given to them and it gets changed.  I am sure the home scorer will help players out and probably the players will help the scorer ad well.