Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good article on Coach Woodson's basketball philosophies...

The highlights...

“Analytics is huge,” Woodson said on a recent call with reporters. “I used to use it for combinations of who played well together on my ball club, what combinations worked. A lot of time you base it on the minutes that a particular combination plays together or how well guys that come off the bench click together.”

“I’m a big proponent of guys that compete on the defensive end,” Woodson said. “If you don’t, you won’t play… I know defense wins basketball games. I know defense will put you in position to win every game. It ain’t going to be just about our offense.”

“When I look at young players, if you’re not willing to compete and play hard, your days in the NBA will be numbered because the next guy is more hungry,” Woodson said. “That’s going to be my biggest challenge going forward with this team because I think they got to play harder… It’s my job to make it happen.”

Analytics…..😎

A7A19A32-578A-4788-90DA-8238B7C88128.jpeg

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The highlights...

“Analytics is huge,” Woodson said on a recent call with reporters. “I used to use it for combinations of who played well together on my ball club, what combinations worked. A lot of time you base it on the minutes that a particular combination plays together or how well guys that come off the bench click together.”

“I’m a big proponent of guys that compete on the defensive end,” Woodson said. “If you don’t, you won’t play… I know defense wins basketball games. I know defense will put you in position to win every game. It ain’t going to be just about our offense.”

“When I look at young players, if you’re not willing to compete and play hard, your days in the NBA will be numbered because the next guy is more hungry,” Woodson said. “That’s going to be my biggest challenge going forward with this team because I think they got to play harder… It’s my job to make it happen.”

"I think they got to play harder"

Love it. If everything thing coach is saying, materializes, we as fans are going to love this journey.  

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is music to my ears!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Analytics…..😎

Analytics in basketball, especially the the ones Woody spoke about in the interview, make more sense to me than most baseball analytics do...They've basically made baseball unwatchable....

• Haha 1

Analytics…..😎

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Analytics in basketball, especially the the ones Woody spoke about in the interview, make more sense to me than most baseball analytics do...They've basically made baseball unwatchable....

With the importance of analytics becoming more and more evident, maybe there should be some analytics done regarding the posters on this board. Things like what time of day posters are most active. Who interacts most with who. Efficient/non-efficient use of emojis, like the coffee drinker. Posters giving out or receiving the most likes/ thanks/ or other feedback. Certain this would be valuable mod fodder.

I nominate @IU Scottto head up this endeavor!

• Haha 8

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

baseball makes baseball unwatchable. "Let's take a minute between every pitch". BUT that's a conversation for another day and another thread. 

I think analytics has made the basketball more entertaining, but that's just a personal preference. Anything that encourages more high percentage threes, cohesion of the 5 players on the floor and more drives....because that's just fun to watch. 

"The Golden State Warriors' championship teams were boring to watch".....said by no sane person ever. And as many of us found out, Kerr was inspired by Woody's Knicks teams and their use of analytics. Of course, a successful repeat of that model in college is probably way easier said than done. That said, I'm happy we're going in that direction because IF successful, Woody will make recruiting a whole lot easier on himself. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

baseball makes baseball unwatchable. "Let's take a minute between every pitch". BUT that's a conversation for another day and another thread. 

Eh, I disagree with the initial premise...Had people kept their hands off the game (at all levels), it would be more entertaining and have more fans...But, you are right in saying this isn't the thread...We do talk about it a lot in the 2021 Baseball thread over in the baseball forum though...

So far recruits being recruited and those who have committed all commented about how everyone knows Mike Woodson.  Today, Durr said, "And, coach Woodson, obviously evernody knows about him."  Bates and others had similar responses.  

Got to bring it up as some debated when I brought up kids know who he is.  Mike Woodson is going to be a rock star at IU.  Hopefully, fans are buying in, because IU is trending upward.   

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

So far recruits being recruited and those who have committed all commented about how everyone knows Mike Woodson.  Today, Durr said, "And, coach Woodson, obviously evernody knows about him."  Bates and others had similar responses.  

Got to bring it up as some debated when I brought up kids know who he is.  Mike Woodson is going to be a rock star at IU.  Hopefully, fans are buying in, because IU is trending upward.   

How is it that every kid knows who Mike Woodson is but us fans (we knew the player but not the coach) didn't. Myself included. I've always thought of him as a good assistant coach but nothing special...and really didn't know if kids today in 2020 could relate and would recognize Coach Woodson and his value. Boy was I wrong and it seems so was a good majority of our board. Is it just us Indiana folks don't keep up with the NBA because we are just such passionate HS and College fans or is there something else to all this? How is he more recognizable amongst outsiders than he is to us insiders?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How is it that every kid knows who Mike Woodson is but us fans (we knew the player but not the coach) didn't. Myself included. I've always thought of him as a good assistant coach but nothing special...and really didn't know if kids today in 2020 could relate and would recognize Coach Woodson and his value. Boy was I wrong and it seems so was a good majority of our board. Is it just us Indiana folks don't keep up with the NBA because we are just such passionate HS and College fans or is there something else to all this? How is he more recognizable amongst outsiders than he is to us insiders?

Good question...He didn't have championship type success in the NBA, and, as you said, I don't watch much of it, so I didn't really know...but when the rumors got more serious, I looked up his coaching record and thought, "Hey, Woody can really coach!:

The success he had with the Hawks and Knicks surprised me, especially comparing what had gone on before, and what went on after with both franchises...

All I know is, seeing how things are going, I sure am glad Brad Stevens likes Boston so much...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good question...He didn't have championship type success in the NBA, and, as you said, I don't watch much of it, so I didn't really know...but when the rumors got more serious, I looked up his coaching record and thought, "Hey, Woody can really coach!:

The success he had with the Hawks and Knicks surprised me, especially comparing what had gone on before, and what went on after with both franchises...

All I know is, seeing how things are going, I sure am glad Brad Stevens likes Boston so much...

My issue was that despite his success with the Knicks and Hawks...why didn't he get more chances. Let's be real you take those teams to the playoffs and not get another HC opportunity? Strange. Then he hadn't been coaching up til this year for a few years. (didn't know he had another back surgery) I know the game changed radically...coach's younger, analytics, 3pointers etc etc. Still hard to believe he didn't get another HC opportunity. 

I still think Stevens would make a fabulous coach....but if his heart wasn't set on it...happy to have one that is.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My issue was that despite his success with the Knicks and Hawks...why didn't he get more chances. Let's be real you take those teams to the playoffs and not get another HC opportunity? Strange. Then he hadn't been coaching up til this year for a few years. (didn't know he had another back surgery) I know the game changed radically...coach's younger, analytics, 3pointers etc etc. Still hard to believe he didn't get another HC opportunity. 

One thing I thought was that at least from a Hawks perspective, they listened to one of his assistants (Larry Drew) and thought Woody had topped out and Drew could continue the climb (he didn't)...As far as the Knicks go, they've been dysfunctional for years...

As great as Woody has been at IU so far, I just get the feeling he can be a bit stubborn, and NBA GMs don't care for that...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

One think I thought was that at least from a Hawks perspective, they listened to one of his assistants (Larry Drew) and thought Drew could continue the climb (he didn't)...As far as the Knicks go, they've been dysfunctional for years...

As great as Woody has been at IU so far, I just get the feeling he can be a bit stubborn, and NBA GMs don't care for that...

I believe he was holding out for a starting gig too. Of course talking in the third person about yourself might also not be what teams were looking for! I think he related to players and development INCREDIBLY well....so that should say a lot to this new position hopefully. Perhaps like you said...relating to those above him...I could see why they might bristle.

Could you imagine Coach Knight taking orders from a GM/Owner lol. Yeah...Woody got some Knight in him lol.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Kids know the NBA. They do. They study and want to be it.  The Knicks are cool, the old Hawks were as well.  IU fans, or more specifically those who post on boards..know Indiana kids, and have favorites based on that.  There is an emotional attachment to it.  It's the movie Hoosiers.  Here in Chicago, when I asked, kids knew who Mike Woodson was.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree.  Mike Woodson is a special coach and person.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I still think Stevens would make a fabulous coach....but if his heart wasn't set on it...happy to have one that is.

Of course, you don't know that he didn't have other opportunities. The way the IU program has performed in the last 6-7 years, and if you believe the backstories that ex-players are the ones that pushed this hire now, maybe he had it in his back pocket that he wanted the IU job all along and was willing to bide his time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Of course, you don't know that he didn't have other opportunities. The way the IU program has performed in the last 6-7 years, and if you believe the backstories that ex-players are the ones that pushed this hire now, maybe he had it in his back pocket that he wanted the IU job all along and was willing to bide his time.

He has mentioned that he wanted past jobs, but couldn't get out of contacts.  It was a big deal what the Knicks did for him.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

I would say, anecdotally, that many of our die hard fans don't keep up with basketball at all outside of IU or probably the Big Ten. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just really obvious at times. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I would say, anecdotally, that many of our die hard fans don't keep up with basketball at all outside of IU or probably the Big Ten. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just really obvious at times. 

I don't give a shit about pro ball. 

I barely keep up with other conferences. I follow Indiana HS bball and IU basketball 

May drive up to Assembly Hall tomorrow and show the wife around and maybe meet Coach Woodsen.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That may well be, but if you look at the beginning of this thread some of the big NBA fans were the most skeptical of Woody's hiring...

• Like 1

i am definitely outspoken about having no interest in the NBA.  i know who a few head coaches are, but that's about it.  i get it, i don't count because i don't follow it.  i also admit that i was very against this hiring, and so far feeling really good about how things are going.  the thing i will not agree with is that many kids outside of Indiana families knew who Mike Woodson was before this hiring.  most of today's bball fans and players barely think the head coach matters in the NBA.  they definitely don't think the assistant coach matters.  i'm not saying i agree or disagree really, but my 17 year old son and his buddies are very big NBA fans and pretty high level high school players and they don't know many of the NBA head coaches and absolutely no assistant coaches.  i know.  i know.  that is just one small sampling, but i just can't see how people really believe kids 10-17 years old knew who Mike Woodson was before he got the IU job unless their parents are huge IU fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That may well be, but if you look at the beginning of this thread some of the big NBA fans were the most skeptical of Woody's hiring...

I can only speak for myself, but my concern had to do with his ability to put a team and staff in place, not his X and O ability. 

• Like 2