Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I used to watch a ton of college basketball.  I was like Scott, would watch anything at anytime.  Over the least 15-20 years though my interest has waned to pretty much watching IU and no one else.  I don't even watch high level Big Ten games if IU is not involved.  

Kind of similar. I find myself watching games and hoping other teams share misery too. Weird way to live. Haha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kind of similar. I find myself watching games and hoping other teams share misery too. Weird way to live. Haha.

i would say i am similar to both of you.  kinda sad.  i used to just love to watch any good basketball, but the game and society have changed in so many ways that i feel like i am just a grumpy old man.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good friend of mine up in Chicago has a weird work schedule. Or maybe the family drives him crazy and he just wants alone time in the cave.... but he'll literally text me at 1045pm and say are you watching this SDSU/Nevada game? Watches all college hoops/football year round.

My new job schedule is like that where I work from 2 to. 10:30 so I will watch a lot of late night games

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Article on GA Issac Green

This kid looks like an up and comer...

Great article!

Indiana has had some great GAs over the years. No doubt this kid is going to be the next. I can see him easily becoming a full time assistant coach if an opening happens down the road. Very happy everyone around this program seems to have such PASSION for the game. Can't say I FELT  that the past several years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Great article!

Indiana has had some great GAs over the years. No doubt this kid is going to be the next. I can see him easily becoming a full time assistant coach if an opening happens down the road. Very happy everyone around this program seems to have such PASSION for the game. Can't say I FELT  that the past several years.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting. Definitely a name to keep an eye on. To work with that many pros at the age of 21? Kudos to the kid.

The straight through 11 hour drive for a face to face is pretty impressive...

Apparently Woody thought so too...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The straight through 11 hour drive for a face to face is pretty impressive...

Apparently Woody thought so too...

No doubt. Not sure which is more impressive. The drive or the dedication and passion this kid has for what he wants in life and the connections he has made already. It isn't a small achievement for sure. Something tells me this kid will make something of himself one way or another. 

I love Woody and this face to face stuff and speaking about himself in the third person is all good and well right now...but I can see it getting a bit old and having the opposite effect if things ever don't go the way we all want them. Hopefully that is never the case but I can see how the guy can come off a little egotistical. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I give credit to Dolson for completely rebooting IU basketball. A solid coaching hire with an IU background, hiring Matta, paying a lot more for assistant coaches, and letting CMW have the ability to set things up the way he wants them is working wonders.

Maybe the prior coaches had the flexibility to do the same things but they sure did not have the vision or willingness to try something new. Maybe it was Glass holding them back. I'm just glad IU seems to be willing to shake things up in a big way. Yes, they have to win but at least it feels like they have a plan in place and based on the results to this point, it's working.

Edited by Euroclydon

On 5/19/2021 at 1:00 PM, Euroclydon said:

I give credit to Dolson for completely rebooting IU basketball. A solid coaching hire with an IU background, hiring Matta, paying a lot more for assistant coaches, and letting CMW have the ability to set things up the way he wants them is working wonders.

Maybe the prior coaches had the flexibility to do the same things but they sure did not have the vision or willingness to try something new. Maybe it was Glass holding them back. I'm just glad IU seems to be willing to shake things up in a big way. Yes, they have to win but at least it feels like they have a plan in place and based on the results to this point, it's working.

Matta hire was huge. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

He may have referred to getting them ready to play for 48 minutes, but I get it. He's not yet into college game mode. They all want to play in the nba anyway. Might as well get used to it.

Well might help us in those OT games we lost last year lol.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Loved CMW comment on Trace has to become a more willing player scoring at the rim. I thought far to many times in the past he gave into the contact and just threw the ball toward the basket wishing it in. Even his little jump hook he was looking for the bounce.

I also loved his comment about players not liking being recruited over. He said he wont ever tell a kid it wont happen. He wants the best players and players that want competition. Love It!!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

His reaction to the question about the pack line defense is worth the watch for that alone. Woody won me over quickly after being named coach, and continues to impress me every time I listen to him. 

Yeah I've heard about this thing called the pack line.  What is that?  🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Man, there is some reaaaallllyyy amateur hour stuff from local reporters AND everyone's favorite Gregg Doyel in this video.

-"How was your golf game"

-Another golf question

-"Why are you talking to us?" (is this a question a supposed "reporter" has ever asked someone at media availability? Just ridiculous)

-The one guy whose name was called an said "I'm good" 

We have a brand new head coach with a bunch of new players and these are some of the questions that get thrown out? Jesus.

Credit to Bozich and our friend Mike for asking substantive questions that got us real answers.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, there is some reaaaallllyyy amateur hour stuff from local reporters AND everyone's favorite Gregg Doyel in this video.

-"How was your golf game"

-Another golf question

-"Why are you talking to us?" (is this a question a supposed "reporter" has ever asked someone at media availability? Just ridiculous)

-The one guy whose name was called an said "I'm good" 

We have a brand new head coach with a bunch of new players and these are some of the questions that get thrown out? Jesus.

Credit to Bozich and our friend Mike for asking substantive questions that got us real answers.

Agreed. Doyel is a moron. Always tries to be "different".

Mike's question was great.

• Like 2