Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah I've heard about this thing called the pack line.  What is that?  🤣🤣

My three favorite things were:

1. His deadpan, fake question on the pack line.

2.  We are going to play “hard ass” D

3.  We are going to play hard for “48 minutes”

I love his attitude and style. Maybe I am saying this as a parent myself, but I bet he’s a huge hit with parents. 

He obviously is a hard worker. You can see how much he’s getting up to speed.  He loves it and is a grinder.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, there is some reaaaallllyyy amateur hour stuff from local reporters AND everyone's favorite Gregg Doyel in this video.

-"How was your golf game"

-Another golf question

-"Why are you talking to us?" (is this a question a supposed "reporter" has ever asked someone at media availability? Just ridiculous)

-The one guy whose name was called an said "I'm good" 

We have a brand new head coach with a bunch of new players and these are some of the questions that get thrown out? Jesus.

Credit to Bozich and our friend Mike for asking substantive questions that got us real answers.

Totally agree.  I have a lot of respect for Rick Bozich. He’s still got his fastball.  His question was great and led to an illuminating answer. The “I’m good” was so weak.  Prepare just a little bit.  

if you picked 25 of us and let us ask him questions in that format, I bet he’d like it more and we’d get very illuminating answers.  We would be getting nuts and bolts basketball questions for sure.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My three favorite things were:

1. His deadpan, fake question on the pack line.

2.  We are going to play “hard ass” D

3.  We are going to play hard for “48 minutes”

I love his attitude and style. Maybe I am saying this as a parent myself, but I bet he’s a huge hit with parents. 

He obviously is a hard worker. You can see how much he’s getting up to speed.  He loves it and is a grinder.   

i do kind of wish he knew there were 40 minutes in the college game, but that's just me.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, there is some reaaaallllyyy amateur hour stuff from local reporters AND everyone's favorite Gregg Doyel in this video.

-"How was your golf game"

-Another golf question

-"Why are you talking to us?" (is this a question a supposed "reporter" has ever asked someone at media availability? Just ridiculous)

-The one guy whose name was called an said "I'm good" 

We have a brand new head coach with a bunch of new players and these are some of the questions that get thrown out? Jesus.

Credit to Bozich and our friend Mike for asking substantive questions that got us real answers.

I don't want to be that guy that attacks the media again but these guys don't have serious questions to ask because they have a narrative in their head already about how things are going to go and how they are going to cover it. If by chance it goes the other way...no biggie...I'll just change my narrative and flip it around a start a new narrative. It's lazy journalism.....a bunch of entitled lazy SOBs that have a comfy job and don't want to do any real work for their audience. Credit to those asking the good questions...you can tell who is hungry to bring real content and information to their viewers/readers....not just drudging up old story lines and played out narratives. end rant lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i do kind of wish he knew there were 40 minutes in the college game, but that's just me.  

You mean like when a new HC doesn't know the OT rules in the NFL lol. Kind of hope he doesn't get to the last 3 minutes of the game and go...oh crap..how is there only 3 minutes left and I let this game get away lol. Pretty sure it won't take him long to adjust. Just like when someone picks up their 2nd foul in the first half and Fife has to ask if he wants sit him down....oh yeah only 5 fouls lol. No that stuff won't take long I'm sure...but yes it does give you more confidence if he gets it right in the presser. Hard ass defense...not sure what "style" of defense that will be...or what defensive philosophy that is...not very specific but I have no doubt he will make sure they play it or they won't get on the floor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You mean like when a new HC doesn't know the OT rules in the NFL lol. Kind of hope he doesn't get to the last 3 minutes of the game and go...oh crap..how is there only 3 minutes left and I let this game get away lol. Pretty sure it won't take him long to adjust. Just like when someone picks up their 2nd foul in the first half and Fife has to ask if he wants sit him down....oh yeah only 5 fouls lol. No that stuff won't take long I'm sure...but yes it does give you more confidence if he gets it right in the presser. Hard ass defense...not sure what "style" of defense that will be...or what defensive philosophy that is...not very specific but I have no doubt he will make sure they play it or they won't get on the floor.

yeah.  and honestly i think playing hard ass is a lot more important that what defense.  MM, packline, zone, whatever... if you don't play it hard it doesn't matter.  you have to buy in and have pride in it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  and honestly i think playing hard ass is a lot more important that what defense.  MM, packline, zone, whatever... if you don't play it hard it doesn't matter.  you have to buy in and have pride in it.  

As long as it's not Grab-Ass defense we're probably ok.  But if he does go with the Grab-Ass style defense, it'll look like we're just goofy around the whole game and not taking it serious at all.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't think we will play just one scheme on defense which is why he didn't give a specific there, but he did talk about forcing the ball where we want it. That's very much an NBA thing - we are going to scheme our defense in a way that the best one or two players on the opponent can't beat us. Most college teams don't have the guys beyond that to really punish you, so I think it's a solid plan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

As long as it's not Grab-Ass defense we're probably ok.  But if he does go with the Grab-Ass style defense, it'll look like we're just goofy around the whole game and not taking it serious at all.

My wife HATES that defense. 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think we will play just one scheme on defense which is why he didn't give a specific there, but he did talk about forcing the ball where we want it. That's very much an NBA thing - we are going to scheme our defense in a way that the best one or two players on the opponent can't beat us. Most college teams don't have the guys beyond that to really punish you, so I think it's a solid plan. 

Yeah. Talked about guarding your man and not begging for help. Yeah. I look for Woody to play matchups. Take advantage of ours and like you said...get the ball out of the hands of other teams best players....likely doubling/trapping on ball picks etc. There is a much longer shot clock so you have to be careful. In NBA you can run at guys and force shots from the supporting cast...especially with a shorter shot clock those guys don't have much time to make a play or do much else with the ball...but in college you could run the risk with more time to defend that they can get the ball moving and have enough time to get a really good shot or work it back to their primary players. All in all though I do think there are things he will be able to translate over and help a lot. Just can't say for certain everything that works in the nba will be able to work with inferior talent in the college ranks. Proof will be in the pudding and I'm excited and looking forward to some tasty banana pudding! yum!

B16DEB59-9D4B-4D30-8DA8-F9BC4A197A68.jpeg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What he wants us to believe.

Butt-Grabbing: A Beginner's Guide To Touching The Butt

What Reality Is

20+ Free Girl Donkey & Donkey Photos - Pixabay

🤣  I've heard many a coach in my years yelling "Stop playing grab ass over there and pay attention" but I never had a clue what the hell he meant by that......thank you so much for clearing that up for me!!!! lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah. Talked about guarding your man and not begging for help. Yeah. I look for Woody to play matchups. Take advantage of ours and like you said...get the ball out of the hands of other teams best players....likely doubling/trapping on ball picks etc. There is a much longer shot clock so you have to be careful. In NBA you can run at guys and force shots from the supporting cast...especially with a shorter shot clock those guys don't have much time to make a play or do much else with the ball...but in college you could run the risk with more time to defend that they can get the ball moving and have enough time to get a really good shot or work it back to their primary players. All in all though I do think there are things he will be able to translate over and help a lot. Just can't say for certain everything that works in the nba will be able to work with inferior talent in the college ranks. Proof will be in the pudding and I'm excited and looking forward to some tasty banana pudding! yum!

You had me at banana pudding. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

I've never seen a college team consistently trap the ball out top to force it out of the best players hands like you see frequently in the NBA - I'm interested to see how it plays out. I can think back to both of our games against MSU this past year, wouldn't it have been nice to force the ball out of Aaron Henry's hands once he got it and make someone else hit shots to beat us late in those games? 

• Like 1

Just now, jefftheref said:

I would love to. We went to Savannah and Charleston a couple years ago. I ate my share of oysters, shrimp and scallops.

Great food, weather and scenery.

I can imagine. Have not been to the Carolinas, wife wants to go end of the summer. She has been and Ayden and I love sea food so it sounds like the right place to be

• Like 1