Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Long story short, he specifically mentioned how much Stevens hates recruiting and that Stevens is always sharing terrible recruiting stories with them and how much he hates it. 

Again nothing new or groundbreaking, but definite confirmation of that narrative that Stevens wants no part of recruiting. 

If this is true then it sounds like IU might have dodged a bullet not getting Stevens. If he hates recruiting that much i definitely wouldn't want him as a college coach. 

I actually think he might be burnt out on coaching altogether and it might be a few years until he gets back into it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. It's not really anything groundbreaking, etc., but I took the family to Boston this week for a quick visit. Our kids had never been there as we moved before our oldest was born. 

Anyways, we stopped by my old Celtics office to show the kids and say hi to some old coworkers. I was chatting with my old boss (he's the senior most team PR person in the NBA, been with the Celtics since 1984) and we began discussing Brad Stevens. 

He was surprised as well that Stevens isn't coaching anymore, and also thought he'd assume the head of BBall ops role but continue coaching. 

I mentioned the hubbub over Stevens potentially taking the IU job, but that I thought Stevens was an NBA guy now. 

Long story short, he specifically mentioned how much Stevens hates recruiting and that Stevens is always sharing terrible recruiting stories with them and how much he hates it. 

Again nothing new or groundbreaking, but definite confirmation of that narrative that Stevens wants no part of recruiting. 

So, what you’re saying is that BS still has interest in the IU job if it becomes available again? 👀

• Haha 8

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great info, BGleas.  And I’m glad you’re getting a chance to get the kids up to Boston.  Lifetime memory of summer for the kids, I’m sure.  

It's been a great trip. The kids have had a blast, and for me its been a great trip down memory lane visiting the places I used to live and the places I used to hangout.

I love this city, you could even call me a Masshole 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. It's not really anything groundbreaking, etc., but I took the family to Boston this week for a quick visit. Our kids had never been there as we moved before our oldest was born. 

Anyways, we stopped by my old Celtics office to show the kids and say hi to some old coworkers. I was chatting with my old boss (he's the senior most team PR person in the NBA, been with the Celtics since 1984) and we began discussing Brad Stevens. 

He was surprised as well that Stevens isn't coaching anymore, and also thought he'd assume the head of BBall ops role but continue coaching. 

I mentioned the hubbub over Stevens potentially taking the IU job, but that I thought Stevens was an NBA guy now. 

Be interesting to revisit this in 10-15 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Be interesting to revisit this in 10-15 years.

True. Of course things can always change. As my old boss also said, Stevens is a 'coaches, coach'.

He'll want to coach again, and while I think he'll have lots of NBA options, what if the best option when that moment comes is a college job?

Things can change. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

True. Of course things can always change. As my old boss also said, Stevens is a 'coaches, coach'.

He'll want to coach again, and while I think he'll have lots of NBA options, what if the best option when that moment comes is a college job?

Things can change. 

Absolutely....and they can change in a hurry as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Things can change. 

I like Brad a lot and wish him well.  But my hope is we never pine for him again, because if we do, that means something went wrong at our end. 

I am optimistic that the Woodson-Fife potential transition can work ideally. Fife profiles favorably IMO to Scheyer, Davis and some of these guys in other succession plans.  He’s wired very well and could be perfect for us.  His exposure to Izzo, Matta, and Woodson will serve him well.  Plus, his personality is well suited to recruiting and he has an edge about him.  If it goes well with Woody, I think the fan base will agree on this.  

• Like 6

As long as IU has been struggling I just have this feeling the timing for hiring CMW is perfect.  

Not gonna lie, when Bobby returned I was in public and teared up a bit. IU laid a turd and at that point CAM just had to go. 

Seeing the picture @5fouls posted in the RMK returns thread just solidified my opinion that CMW is the right hire at the right time. IU is in great hands. 

Woody doesn't have to do this, he wants to. IUBB will have heart again. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

As long as IU has been struggling I just have this feeling the timing for hiring CMW is perfect.  

Not gonna lie, when Bobby returned I was in public and teared up a bit. IU laid a turd and at that point CAM just had to go. 

Seeing the picture @5fouls posted in the RMK returns thread just solidified my opinion that CMW is the right hire at the right time. IU is in great hands. 

Man, our performance in that game was as disappointed as I have been in a team in a long long time. It was disheartening. 

• Like 8

On 7/15/2021 at 7:38 AM, BGleas said:

He has turned IU down enough for me that i never want to see him in Bloomington. Unless of course he is bringing some random team there to get their butts kicked by the Hoosiers.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

How many of you remember in '02 Dick Enberg proclaiming, "Indiana basketball is back?"  Oh boy was that ever short lived.

I understand the extreme optimism but we have been burnt by this cart before the horse mentality for quite a few years now.

Just sayin'

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Same. I was at the game and it was an amazing aura/atmosphere that was ruined to a degree by the lackluster effort/game against Turdue. To make matters worse, there was an obnoxious Turdue fan/troll sitting 5 rows or so in front of me that we had to put up with in addition to what was going on in the game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

I loved this part...

IU's first-round assignment was to Texas Tech, where Knight was to coach later. Woodson (11-for-14, 30 points) led an early blitz and this time had help in a 78-59 romp. A Lubbock writer asked Knight if Woodson was "just on a hot streak." The response: "He has averaged 20 points a game for 90 games now. That's a hell of a streak."

• Like 2