Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

32 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

With this you'd think Mike Roberts stays on, no? I'm not as in tuned or knowledgeable to know or see the impact of what he has. But my opinion is that we could use that slot and fill it with someone better... idk.

Yeah, that is the tough part.  Not sure how Hunter and Roberts will be addressed.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Reflecting on the hire over the last 18 hours, I've come to appreciate how solid the hire is.  With Archie, regardless of the on the court performance, I couldn't help but remember Juwan Morgan's senior day speech.  There was no love for Archie in it.  Not one ounce.  But, there was also not really any love for IU in it either.  Archie failed miserably as a coach in getting his players to embrace what it meant to be a Hoosier.    

By contrast, I'm extremely excited to see the reaction of guys like Alan Henderson and AJ Guyton to the hiring of Woodson.  I think we're going to see a revival in the understanding of what it means to be a Hoosier.  And, in doing so, winning basketball may just follow.

You could throw in every past IU basketball player in there even up to Christian Watford. Everyone that was actually a part of the program is ecstatic about this. If there is no other reason, that should be the one to feel at least okay about this. 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 5

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I am fine with this hire. Anyone not named Stevens was going to be a let down. The more I think about it the more I like. The instate kids will look at IU but I truly believe we will be able to bring in top level talent. CMW has way too many NBA connections to be ignored.  Winning solves everything but I think he can get it done here. I look forward  to seeing him put his stamp on the program. NBA offense, players will love but more importantly respect him. He will work them hard but they will know he always has their back. 

I hope you are right regarding recruiting. That is my biggest worry regarding this hire. I think it is imperative to have a couple really good recruiters as assistants. I do think Matta can help some...but I am still not really sure what his role will be. I do think Woodson is an excellent "x's and o's" coach/ player developer from what I have read...which is nice.

Ideally for me, I would like to see assistants be: Hunter, either Lewis or Fife (leaning Lewis), and whoever Matta/Woodson thinks can recruit the best for the third spot.  If recruiting is solid, I think it can be a decent hire. I think we will get some idea based on what the current team decides to do.

• Like 1

I go back to fit. Not all coaching candidates fit every opportunity.  This hire seems to unify those guys that have put in the hard work to help build Indiana Basketball.  As fans we help in a different way but those that played love this and maybe we now have the guy that helps players now understand what Indiana basketball is really about. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

You could throw in every past IU basketball player in there even up to Christian Watford. Everyone that was actually a part of the program is ecstatic about this. If there is no other reason, that should be the one to feel at least okay about this. 

Forgot about CWats tweet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Not to speak for Euroclydon, but there are some who go beyond expressing dissatisfaction, and I am interpreting the post as a reference to those who are senselessly bashing in an over-the-top manner.  

You might be right, it just didn't come across that way in his post. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I hope you are right regarding recruiting. That is my biggest worry regarding this hire. I think it is imperative to have a couple really good recruiters as assistants. I do think Matta can help some...but I am still not really sure what his role will be. I do think Woodson is an excellent "x's and o's" coach/ player developer from what I have read...which is nice.

Ideally for me, I would like to see assistants be: Hunter, either Lewis or Fife (leaning Lewis), and whoever Matta/Woodson thinks can recruit the best for the third spot.  If recruiting is solid, I think it can be a decent hire. I think we will get some idea based on what the current team decides to do.

I agree. I love Hunter and think Lewis is a legit possibility.  Then a young go getting top notch recruiter to round it out

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I go back to fit. Not all coaching candidates fit every opportunity.  This hire seems to unify those guys that have put in the hard work to help build Indiana Basketball.  As fans we help in a different way but those that played love this and maybe we now have the guy that helps players now understand what Indiana basketball is really about. 

Agree about fit. I think part of Archies failure at IU was just this...he didn't seem to ever be comfortable as head coach in Bloomington. That and my belief that he was stubborn to change what was clearly not working. I do think some of the other coaches would have been better choices for the job, but it's done now...so just hoping for the best.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm really curious to see what type of system he'll want to run here.  What will be his pace, offensive schemes, defensive schemes, how much will he emphasize a style of play that is interesting to recruits.  If he has an exciting style of play, recruiting should almost take care of itself.  If he has a boring style of play, recruiting could be really tough.

• Like 2

i don't agree when people say anyone not named Stevens would be disappointing.  i would not have been disappointed with Beard, Musselman, Altman, Drew (kind of), Oats, Matta, or Beilein.  i also don't get why we would hire a guy just to make former players happy if he is not the best candidate and not an experienced college coach.  again, that said, i'll hope for the best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Agree about fit. I think part of Archies failure at IU was just this...he didn't seem to ever be comfortable as head coach in Bloomington. That and my belief that he was stubborn to change what was clearly not working. I do think some of the other coaches would have been better choices for the job, but it's done now...so just hoping for the best.

I don't know if it's just me but Archie just never seemed to be excited about coaching IU. That is one of the positives about Coach Woodson, he does seem to be excited about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I hate this hire.  I didn't really know who Woodson was, which apparently makes me a bad fan.  I wanted IU to open the vault and go Whale hunting.  And regardless of any IU person/fan thinks, Woodson was not a Whale in any coaching community.  Respected, sounds like it, but not a name in the top 10 of any school anywhere at any time.

Will it work out, its why we play the games i guess.  I am a little less enthused about IU basketball that I was with CAM at the helm so about as apathetic as before.  I was surprised and a little upset by the hire but no more than when i pull up to get fuel and realize that it's now 3.25 instead of 2.99.  I am just used to to it getting worst instead of better.  And I am already seeing 5 years this or 6 years that in threads.  This makes me a little more sad because I really don't want to spend the next 4 years debating how long a coach needs before he can implement "his" brand of basketball.

I hope Woodson is the grand slam hire some of you keep saying.  I hope he proves everyone wrong and knocks it out of the park.  But if he was such a whale, why was he an assistant?  Why was he never attached to any other programs coaching search?   

Winning cures all and makes Whales out of them all.  If he wins that's al the matters.  He just needs to win.

One explanation I can give is Steve Alford...

I use to live across the street from a guy who was on the Iowa gymnastics team while in college (his wife was too)...His father was the sports psychologist for the University...He was a Hawkeye all the way...

He hated the Steve Alford hire from the minute it was announced, not so much because he thought Steve a bad coach, but more because he knew in his heart that if Steve did well at Iowa, when RMK called it a day, Indiana would call and that would be that...He admitted that to me (as did his father)...

I'm not saying former players can't succeed at schools other than the ones they played at, but there's a reason Juwan Howard is at Michigan, Penny Hardaway is at Memphis, Chris Mullin was at St Johns, and Patrick Ewing is at Georgetown...There's a connection there...There's a loyalty...And they don't have to worry about another school coming along to poach their coach...

Heck, Jamie Dixon left a great gig at Pitt for TCU because it was his alma mater (I believe he's since rethought that move...particularly after the UCLA overtures)...

So that was part of the attraction to Mike Woodson...IU is HIS school...And I'm glad we got him...

• Like 1