Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m behind the Mike Woodson hire now. He brings a lot to the table. My biggest concern with this hire from the beginning is that hiring an Indiana guy is great if it works, but at the end of the day, you still have to win.
So if for some reason this doesn’t work, IU could be thought of as a place you don’t want to coach. 

I have also said and still believe that schools tend to hold on to their own longer than an outsider if things aren’t going well. So even if we are mediocre, it could be a long hall, because everyone likes coach Woodson and all the ties to the program, Bobby and his players.
  I liked what I’ve heard so far and have changed my mind since the dust has settled. I’m just stating some things that some may not have thought of if it doesn’t work out.

Yeah no matter what side of the fence a person sits on with this hire, liking it of not liking it, we have to have this work out. If say in four years this looks like it might not work out we are in big trouble. If one of our own can't get it turned around I don't see any other top flight coach taking a chance to come here and do it. So lets hope Coach Woodson gets this going and is successful.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

they won the 3A state championship this year and have 8 kids who play pretty high level AAU, but only 1 D1.  probably 2 or 3 D2 kids, and the rest D3.  i'll be surprised if they know who Woodson is, but will ask if i pass them in the hall!  if they say, yeah the new Indiana coach, i will ask if they knew who he was before then!

Yeah I think that would be really interesting information to see what they say. Please ask and share what you find! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

they won the 3A state championship this year and have 8 kids who play pretty high level AAU, but only 1 D1.  probably 2 or 3 D2 kids, and the rest D3.  i'll be surprised if they know who Woodson is, but will ask if i pass them in the hall!  if they say, yeah the new Indiana coach, i will ask if they knew who he was before then!

Truth be told, probably very few of those kids could tell you who the Oregon State coach is and they made the Elite 8.  Some won't know Andy Ehnfeld, Mick Cronin, or even Eric Musselman are either.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Truth be told, probably very few of those kids could tell you who the Oregon State coach is and they made the Elite 8.  Some won't know Andy Ehnfeld, Mick Cronin, or even Eric Musselman are either.  

Oats and Beard, as well. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Inequality said:

Exactly why I did not want Scott Dolson to replace Glass has come to fruition. I absolutely hate this hire. Not Woodson as a person, just the whole idea of what they think they can do with all this nostalgic, antique, senior citizen staff.

I read your post like 5 times before I decided to respond...I've always liked and respected you, and what you brought to the forum even before you were a mod...

I feel like this...A lot of Bob Knight players felt like they were cheated out of their legacy by Myles Brand. Fair or not, after RMK was fired there was virtually no acknowledgement of them for years.

"We like displaying the trophies you won, but uh...we just can't have you around right now." (and I do understand some of that was the players' choice).

You look at places like UNC,  Duke, and UK (as tainted as it is)...They embrace their history...Some were embarrassed by ours....I understand Bob Knight had his warts. But I also know you can't simply point to what an a-hole he could be without at least acknowledging what he did for the basketball program, the young men that went through it, and what he did for the university and community at large.

It really wasn't until the Crean years that the ice between the administration and the former players started to thaw...But try as we might, it was still a dysfunctional relationship. I was so thrilled when Coach Knight returned to Assembly Hall and the school started to reembrace the really great players and great young men that Bob Knight had coached and mentored. Should have happened a long time ago...

I understand why former players want one of their own at the helm of IU basketball...It's a reconnection with a glorious past...a past we haven't come close to matching in 20 some odd years. Our coaching choices over the years steered away from that past to a degree and it got us nowhere...You want to get there again? Well, time to go back to the fruit of the original tree...

And the most qualified by far, was Mike Woodson...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely agree, but i think the same with Woodson.  

Whether we want to appreciate it or not, him being part of 13% of total African-American D1 basketball coaches I think will help with him sticking out given a majority of major recruits are of the same ethnicity.

Edited with correct percentage

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Whether we want to appreciate it or not, him being one of I believe 13 African-American D1 basketball coaches I think will help with him sticking out given a majority of major recruits are of the same ethnicity.

I believe this number is incorrect. I think there are over 100 at about a 28% rate or something like that. Your number may be Football. Either way, it is still a low number. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I will try to explain why I think having an IU guy is the right thing at this time.  First I am not saying this to condemn anyone or blame anyone who might not understand this.  I know people who did not grow up in Indiana or is a lot younger than did not see what IU meant when RMK was the coach.  I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those announcers were former players in John Laskowski and later Ted Kitchell.  Back then they played games on Thursday night and Saturday and it was easy to keep up with the schedule.  You know when you had to find your 2 and half hours time to watch the game plus the pre game show with RMK.  RMK would have about a 12 minute segment to explain what the team was going to do against this opponent and it taught IU fans the game.  Not to mention Martha the Mop Lady and the Farm Bureau Insurance commercials.

All of this made IU like your own family and would do anything to support that family  I know when you are younger that everything seems more important everything was such a big deal.  This is what IU basketball felt like to me and that I felt part of it.  You also always saw former players at the game and they were welcome back anytime they wanted.

After RMK was let go I was all for letting someone else come in and try to bring IU back to where it was use to be.  We brought in outside guys who had proven to win at the level they were at.  They made deep runs in the tournament so they seemed like great hires but there was always something missing to them.  We have done this for 20 years and it never totally panned out and here we are 20 years later trying to get IU back to what we use to be.  Everyone say they want IU back to what it once was and to me it is time to bring back a guy who was part of what IU use to be.

I think I read this somewhere else

9 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Whether we want to appreciate it or not, him being one of I believe 13 African-American D1 basketball coaches I think will help with him sticking out given a majority of major recruits are of the same ethnicity.

Possible but i'm not sure that will make much of a difference. While Juwan has a great class coming in I think that has more to do with his NBA ties, so if anything helps coach Woodson with recruiting it will be his NBA ties not race. There might be a few recruits that it helps get him in the door but I think that would be a low number.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

That 13 number has to be based on a something other than the full D1 population.  Maybe 13 in the Power 5?  Historically African American colleges in conferences like the SWAC would exceed that number on their own.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cheaney40 said:

I believe this number is incorrect. I think there are over 100 at about a 28% rate or something like that. Your number may be Football. Either way, it is still a low number. 

Ok, that was coming second hand and I couldn't find an exact list doing a quick google.  Thanks for the clarification.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That 13 number has to be based on a something other than the full D1 population.  Maybe 13 in the Power 5?  Historically African American colleges in conferences like the SWAC would exceed that number on their own.   

It could have been power 5 to be honest.  Like I said, it was second hand and I couldn't find anything with quick google for anything other than football.

2 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

It could have been power 5 to be honest.  Like I said, it was second hand and I couldn't find anything with quick google for anything other than football.

Link

"There are 353 Division I men’s basketball programs, and just 103 of them — or 29.2 percent — have black head coaches. When HBCUs are taken out of the equation, the number falls to 24.1 percent. In the sport’s Big Seven conferences, that number is 22.9 percent. Half of the head coaches in the Big East and the American are black, so when looking at just the Power Five leagues, the number is a paltry 13.8 percent. The Pac-12 does not have a single black head coach. The only black head coach in the Big Ten is Michigan’s Juwan Howard, who was hired in May after John Beilein left for the Cleveland Cavaliers."

Not any more!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not saying kids do or don't know who Mike Woodson is...but if you have to google Mike Woodson to know who he is...that isn't a good sign. Kids don't have to google most premier power 5 conference coaches to know if they should take a phone call from them or form an opinion of them. They know them period. May not know everything about them but they know their track record and know who they are. Just saying you can google a guy and even still not come out with much knowledge of who he is as an athlete, coach, or man. I'd argue if you just google Mike Woodson you wouldn't come away nearly as impressed with him as those that just KNOW Mike Woodson. Again...not saying kids don't know the man...but I don't like the fact that he is the best kept coaching secret in basketball. Mike has his work cut out to establish his brand and his persona in the college coaching landscape. I hope he is able to do that quickly!

I would think that a recruit or their parents or intermediary WOULD know that Indiana University is a power Five conference team and would at least take an initial phone call. I don’t think he is as much of a “ best kept secret “ you think. Woodson’s success will be a result of his ability to build relationships and relate, not get opportunities. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Link

"There are 353 Division I men’s basketball programs, and just 103 of them — or 29.2 percent — have black head coaches. When HBCUs are taken out of the equation, the number falls to 24.1 percent. In the sport’s Big Seven conferences, that number is 22.9 percent. Half of the head coaches in the Big East and the American are black, so when looking at just the Power Five leagues, the number is a paltry 13.8 percent. The Pac-12 does not have a single black head coach. The only black head coach in the Big Ten is Michigan’s Juwan Howard, who was hired in May after John Beilein left for the Cleveland Cavaliers."

Not any more!

Thanks for this.  Maybe he was mistaking 13 coaches for 13%.  Either way, appreciate.  Was trying to search while on a zoom call for work.

1 minute ago, IUALUM03 said:

Thanks for this.  Maybe he was mistaking 13 coaches for 13%.  Either way, appreciate.  Was trying to search while on a zoom call for work.

I hate those damn Zoom calls ;)

I always have to turn of the camera when I'm searching for something...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This article makes a good point about why Woodson might fail. The recruiting and dealing with college students has been my largest concern with this hire. I think Matta can help with some of this and can at least help Woodson prepare to deal with the rest.

https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-mike-woodson-rude-awakening-230859190.html

I'm confident they will put a staff around him to deal with the Academic aspects of the team and don't see the girlfriends, mental health challenges, etc. any different than what you deal with on an NBA team.  Have you watched Kyrie Irving's antics off the court.  Not to mention, the NBA is much younger now and many teams have multiple players who are of college age that add another complete different, more difficult dynamic because they are kids with money.

• Like 1